Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR vs Plaid for Second Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an early 2023 Model S LR. My wife drives a 2020 Model Y Performance. We really like both cars especially because of the hatchback. Ever since I got the Model S my wife has been liking it more and more than the Model Y. Primarily the convienece features (air suspension, second screen, quieter), but most importantly the range. Several of the trips she makes the model Y has to charge twice and Model S once. The other is the Model Y has to be plugged in for one family member's house which is awkward due to placement, the model S can just not worry about it.

So with that backstory, we're looking at a few options and have some time on our hands (want to decide next 6-12 months). My main question is for any that have driven both, especially regularly. Is the extra punch from the Plaid super noticeable or just a bit more punch? The Plaid is the same price I paid for the Model S LR last year so I figured if I was going to have a mid-life crisis car and the cool factor was quite noticeable I'd go for it :)

Thanks for your assistance!!

Reactions: GSP
I can't offer direct experience, haven't been in a Plaid yet. But enjoying my new to me Ludicrous S immensely.

I think you know that when you ask people "should I get the incredibly fast car or just the fast car" what nearly all the responses will be. :)

IMHO, if you have to ask the question, just get the LR. My ego wouldn't allow me to settle for anything less than the Plaid which at the time was the fastest EV sedan on the planet. If I was dumping the ICE for my first EV, I had to satiate the thirst for the craziest power experience to justify the leap of faith.

I also had to have the Track Pack brakes which is a no go for the LR. So the LR was never an iota of a chance in play for me, though I did demo drive one just to get a feel for the interior and yoke.

Tough life decisions! Have fun.

Reactions: GSP and aerodyne
I think the difference in power will be mostly seen under 20mph and over 40. The LR is nerfed off the line, and the plaid can't put all of its power down until much higher speeds. Even the raven performance cars can keep up with the plaid pretty well on the street until 50-60 due traction, even with raven technically being down over 200hp from the plaid. This graph doesn't show the refreshed LR, but it does show that power ramps up; you don't have all 1000hp available at all speeds:

1715011184971.png

If you're interested in blasting off well into illegal speeds, the plaid is for you. The violent acceleration at low speeds is also pretty satisfying, but I also find I rarely do that in my car these days.

Reactions: GSP and Sam1
Probably anything over 600 horsepower and 0-60 in under 4 seconds gets the high insurance rating, which applies to Plaid and Non-Plaid. Car cost is always a factor, but the S is similar to Mercedes and BMW in cost. I don't think crash repair cost is much different between S models. Of course, driving record is a biggie.

Thanks for the advice. I tried YouTube and could be user error, but has anyone actually dragged a 1/4 mile LR against Plaid? Think it wouldn't be a super rare thing, but like you guys said it's mostly racing SUPER cars.

Your auto insurance company is rooting you go Plaid!
So are your CV joint vendors and tire vendors. Definitely get the staggered 21 wheels so the tire warranty is limited to 8000 miles! It great to get new tires every year so they are fresh. (S)

Mileage Warranty Conditions and Limitations
DOT-Approved Competition Tires
DOT-approved competition tires are excluded (e.g., MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport Cup 2 tires).
Zero Pressure
ZP (Zero Pressure) tires have the same mileage warranty as the standard tire line they are part of, not to exceed 30,000 miles.
EXAMPLES:
MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport PS2TM – 20,000 miles
MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport PS2TM (ZP) – 20,000 miles
MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ – 45,000 miles
MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ (ZP) – 30,000 miles
PAX® System tires are covered by a 36,000-mile limited warranty.
Winter Tires
To maintain coverage under the limited warranty for treadwear, MICHELIN®
require documentation of the timing of the installation and removal of the tires each winter. Winter is defined as the period beginning no earlier than September 1
of a given year and ending no later than April 30 of the following year.
Light Truck Commercial Tires
Tires intended for commercial use on light truck and cargo vans are excluded (e.g., MICHELIN® Agilis® CrossClimate® tires).
Split Fitments
Some vehicles come from the vehicle manufacturer with “split fitments” – meaning different sizes of tires on the front and rear axles. Because these tires cannot be rotated as recommended by Michelin, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half
the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire design.

EXAMPLE: 2008 BMW M3
MICHELIN® Pilot ® Sport PS2TM with 20,000-mile limited warranty Front: 245/40R18 (20,000 miles) Rear: 265/40R18 (10,000 miles)

Original Equipment Tires

Michelin does not cover Original Equipment tires for mileage.
SeetheMICHELIN® Owner’sManualfordetailsoraskasalesassociate.
Copyright © 2020 Michelin North America, Inc. All rights reserved.
The Michelin Man is a registered trademark owned by Michelin North America, Inc. MDP43887

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I have an early 2023 Model S LR. My wife drives a 2020 Model Y Performance. We really like both cars especially because of the hatchback. Ever since I got the Model S my wife has been liking it more and more than the Model Y. Primarily the convienece features (air suspension, second screen, quieter), but most importantly the range. Several of the trips she makes the model Y has to charge twice and Model S once. The other is the Model Y has to be plugged in for one family member's house which is awkward due to placement, the model S can just not worry about it.

So with that backstory, we're looking at a few options and have some time on our hands (want to decide next 6-12 months). My main question is for any that have driven both, especially regularly. Is the extra punch from the Plaid super noticeable or just a bit more punch? The Plaid is the same price I paid for the Model S LR last year so I figured if I was going to have a mid-life crisis car and the cool factor was quite noticeable I'd go for it :)

Thanks for your assistance!!
Plaid all the way. Once you experience it, nothing else compares. If anything about the car annoys you, just press the Button of Forgiveness with your right foot, and then you let out an audible exclamation. All truly is forgiven at this point.

Reactions: terranx and Zuikkis