Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is Tesla’s most popular car color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
MW-DJ378_tesla__20150409135137_MG.jpg

In North America these days, white is the color of choice for 24% of luxury cars, with black a close second at 22%, Harrington-Durst said. Silver is No. 3 at 20%.

In Europe, black reigns supreme in the luxury car segment — it’s the color of choice for 50% of luxury cars, followed by white (16%) and silver (10%).

Tesla would not divulge percentages for their most popular colors.

In North America, black and white are tied as the top color for 20% of sports cars, with red No. 2, at 17%, and blue at 12%, Harrington-Durst said. Europeans prefer their sports cars to be white (27%), with black No. 2 at 19%.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-teslas-most-popular-car-color-2015-04-10

based on my informal analysis of used Teslas for sale in Canada... Black: 80-90% Blue: 5-10% white 3-5% other 1-3%

Which sucks for someone looking to buy used, and who would like to have anything other than black...
(on an aside, interior colours also appear to be 90% black and 10% other... guess again what colour I would prefer not to have...)

Your stats indicate why they added another black I guess.

Elon said here https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/586750857565220864 that there were too many similar colours. I agree.

I can see why they replaced silver for the titanium. The Ocean blue is good as it adds colour to the palette. As for the white, how different is the pearl white to the normal white?

IMHO, they should have kept the white and removed the pearl white and had the MC red as the only MC colour.

When comparing Tesla's colour choices to their ICE rivals Mercedes and Jaguar you can see that brown and green are really the only missing ones.
colour cars.png

Last edited:
Precisely. The sea of boring monochromatic vehicles on the 405 FWY is depressing. I think people go for 'colors' that look great in a showroom or in a driveway. They forget that the 'values' they actually choose are low visibility while in motion. Too many sharks and sleepers in the water. So ultimately you can't tell one from the other against a background of gray.

based on my informal analysis of used Teslas for sale in Canada... Black: 80-90% Blue: 5-10% white 3-5% other 1-3%

Which sucks for someone looking to buy used, and who would like to have anything other than black...
(on an aside, interior colours also appear to be 90% black and 10% other... guess again what colour I would prefer not to have...)

I agree. I don't quite get the fascination with black after my first black car. I could never keep it clean even with weakly washes and 90% of the time it looked awful. I'll never get another black car. For interiors I like tan and dislike black as well as black makes the entire interior feel like a black hole where the seats, the carpets, and everything all blend in.

Orange Candy, Electric Blue, Arctic White, Gloss Black, and Simply Silver seem to be the most common colors on EVs made by traditional automobile manufacturers. They reserve the rest of the color spectrum for their ICE vehicles. Almost as if they all conspired to designate a narrow pallette specific to funky, unappealing weirdmobiles -- bad tastes that taste worse together.

My wife gets quite annoyed at all the colorless cars, but that's what people seem to want these days.
Is it what people actually want? or what the auto manufacturers are willing to provide?

Keep in mind, with the exception of Tesla, no other car manufacturer sells to the public, so it's the dealers dictating demand, the customers take whatever the dealer has.

We keep hearing about how Tesla will have the most advanced paint shop in the world or some such thing, if that's really the case they should be able to let you pick ANY colour, just give them the CMYK values and if you want metallic, gloss, flat, or multi-coat.

either that or at least give me a nice elegant dark green (never saw the old green in person, but I'm thinking just a touch lighter would be a positively gorgeous colour!)

We keep hearing about how Tesla will have the most advanced paint shop in the world or some such thing, if that's really the case they should be able to let you pick ANY colour, just give them the CMYK values and if you want metallic, gloss, flat, or multi-coat.

Maybe the plan is to remove as many colours as they can then boom! Pick your own colour when the new paint shop arrives! To make the surprise even bigger. :wink: