Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 in 2.5 seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a bit silly. If this is Tesla's mentality then it explains why they invest in vanity projects and features rather than little things like making sure the SC are properly staffed and trained for all the service needs they are getting.

People respond, e.g. take action, to things that matter to them - unless they are shallow and just want some bragging rights.

I don't care if my laundry detergent is the first to have plento-clean, I just care if it does what I need at the price I want.

I think Coke was the first and sells the most, but I prefer Pepsi.

And that is why you are not the one building Tesla, SpaceX and trying to go to mars. It takes a different mentality to accomplish those things.

HAving recently gotten a Tesla I have had several people say to me " you hear about that 2.5 Tesla their making"? Uh , no I live under a rock. The 2.5 sec. 0-60 is the headlines with 300 miles under that. People are noticing Tesla for the first time and maybe even will think about buying one. I have been trying to talk a couple friends into buying one. I will be using my car as the sales point :)
"Even" in a 60, if you take most people for a test drive and show them the off-the-line acceleration they're going to say "That's not 2.5 seconds?"

i will never forget the aerosmith mgm rollercoaster ride in disney world. I think it was or is the fastest ride in the world from 0-60 and that was 2.8 seconds. I will never forget that feeling, it was Intense to say the least. Now Tesla is at 2.5 (which probably is less in real world) how is that even possible ????? :eek:

So I guess Maximum Plaid Speed Roadster 2.0 which will do it in 2.0 seconds would really blow your mind then :rolleyes:

The Tesla has the same range as any car with a tank of gas. The auto industry said it couldn't be done. Now its been done and you'd think they'd all be following this amazing story of success. But they're still building global warming gas engines...

Wait until they do a special range version of the 100D that has slightly smaller motors and aero wheels and gets 350 miles of rated range. The penalty will be that it can only do 0-60 in 5 seconds rathar than 3.8 seconds like the 100D will.

My biggest gripe when I saw this announcement was why is there no 100D? I can't currently afford either... but agree with others, the speed on my 60D is more than I really need for passing, getting up to speed from an on ramp, etc. I even accidentally got up over 100MPH passing the other day due to how fast it accelerates (honestly couldn't have told you from the way it was handling if I was going 30 or 100MPH+). But I'd much rather pay for added range and reduced range anxiety/ability to get farther away from civilization in my Model S than for more speed.

It sounds like the new pack is production-limited right now. P100D ensures they get a lot of value out of that product, until it can be ramped further.

I think in this department, Tesla's strategy has been spot on. Tuesday's 0 to 60 headlines are beginning to turn even more heads. Even with the headlines, it still amazes me how many supposedly "car guys" still are not familiar or give much consideration to purchasing a Tesla.

The vast majority of people have not experienced a ride in a Tesla and many are still quite unfamiliar overall. This is why I go out of my way to give everyone (including some strangers I have met) a short demonstration ride. Not only has it blown each and everyone away but now they can begin to understand what is behind this electric revolution and certainly and enthusiastically tell their friends about the experience. This kind of "free" advertising is priceless and brings a smile to everyone's face.

Talk and headlines are great but until someone experiences a Tesla for themselves they will really never understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: ApauloThirteen
As a Tesla shareholder, I wonder about the resources that went into this. Both Elon and JB said the engineering effort was high. Is it really a good use of resources to get us another 0.2s 0-60? They must really think there are going to be a ton of people who will pay up for the 'quickest car in the world' to offset the costs and provide meaningful capital.

What Tesla is learning about the new packaging and cooling will be applied to M3. They made it faster because they could, and it will help sales. They didn't spend the resources with the goal to make it faster.

1g acceleration is 21.937 miles per hour per second. So 1g is 0-60 in 2.735 seconds. So 0-60 in 2.5 is 1.094g. According to Vbox measurements I've seen posted, 1.1g seems to be about what the tires can sustain in terms of traction during the low-speed traction-limited part of runs for P85Ds and P90Ds. So that would imply 2.5s is about the limit for the Model S unless there are special tires or some source of downforce. The caveat here is that if the 2.5 second claim subtracts a 1 foot rollout, then the real 0-60 for the P100D would be about 2.8 seconds, and the best traction-limited 0-60 of the Model S with a rollout would be about 2.2 seconds.