Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Wheels + EV Tires gained ~18% range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Switched from 19" sport wheel with (new-ish) junk Hertz tires.

Was surprised by the magnitude of the improvement, around 40 miles additional range.

Maybe I missed it but I hadn't seen a recent post in which both the wheel swap to 18" Aeros
and Sailun eRange happened at once. Moderators please move if appropriate.

Using the same out&back route, 40 miles, ~same temp and same GPS speed of 72 MPH
we went from 259 Wh.mi to 213 Wh/mi. We're quite pleased and this has held up
over several commutes since then. Just under 40 mile 'real world' range improvement.
Used wheels ($500 with no covers or TPMS) and about $700 for the tires 235R45-18.
Aero covers were about $50 locally.
We mainly wanted the range increase,
saving money will only happen if the sport wheels sell for more than expected.

Just to head off what's to come: Yes we have one of those Hertz cars.
Yes we changed two variables at once, the results are 'invalid'.
Yes they're not as good as (insert expensive tire here) and we'll die a horrible death.
Yes we bought tires from Vietnam and surely deserve a good talking-to.
Worse yet we bought them from Walmart, but what would you put on a $15K Tesla?

but what would you put on a $15K Tesla?
Best tire money can buy!
Tires are the ONLY thing that connects your 4,000+ lb car to the road, and keeps you out of the ditch.
Some prioritize performance fun and safety, others cost.

It's pretty clear you fall into the second category.
I'm firmly in the first.

To each his/her own, especially since we are not sharing the same roads!
;)

Reactions: scalbert03
Best tire money can buy!
Tires are the ONLY thing that connects your 4,000+ lb car to the road, and keeps you out of the ditch.
Some prioritize performance fun and safety, others cost.

It's pretty clear you fall into the second category.
I'm firmly in the first.

To each his/her own, especially since we are not sharing the same roads!
;)

I see this as the old question that most get wrong. What stops a vehicle. Most say the brakes do which is wrong. The only thing stopping the car is what touches the pavement.

I will often spend more on tires than any other component.

Reactions: afadeev

Was surprised by the magnitude of the improvement, around 40 miles additional range.

Maybe I missed it but I hadn't seen a recent post in which both the wheel swap to 18" Aeros

Using the same out&back route, 40 miles, ~same temp and same GPS speed of 72 MPH
over several commutes since then. Just under 40 mile 'real world' range improvement.
Used wheels ($500 with no covers or TPMS) and about $700 for the tires 235R45-18.

Yes they're not as good as (insert expensive tire here) and we'll die a horrible death.
Love this.. did you get an LFP model?

These seem like great deals although 700 is a lot for tires IMO maybe worth it for such great efficiency wonder how long they will last

Best tire money can buy!
Of course, the definition of "best" varies... and no tire is the best at every characteristic, including performance (handling, braking, dry, wet, snow, ice), comfort (ride, noise), efficiency (rolling resistance), and tread life.

One problem that those buying tires face is that not every tire is well tested in comparison to other tires that may be under consideration, so there is some guesswork involved in trying to figure out which tire is better and by how much in a given characteristic.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Of course, the definition of "best" varies... and no tire is the best at every characteristic, including performance (handling, braking, dry, wet, snow, ice), comfort (ride, noise), efficiency (rolling resistance), and tread life.

The tires are the primary safety component of all vehicles. Yes, conditions do dictate what provides the greatest safety, you wouldn't want a summer only tire in the snow. But you would want the summer only tire on a warm summer day when an emergency maneuver, or heavy braking, is required.

Tread life and range is a compromise to the safety of the tire. We all make that decision, including myself. But if travel times or tread were of no concern, the tire with the best performance is still the safest.

The tires are the primary safety component of all vehicles. Yes, conditions do dictate what provides the greatest safety, you wouldn't want a summer only tire in the snow. But you would want the summer only tire on a warm summer day when an emergency maneuver, or heavy braking, is required.

Tread life and range is a compromise to the safety of the tire. We all make that decision, including myself. But if travel times or tread were of no concern, the tire with the best performance is still the safest.
This is much easier in Woodstock than say Colorado where it can be over 100 one day and 8" of snow the next day

I try to avoid doing business with Walmart, but who knows about those tires? Maybe they will be a surprise. You are the trailblazer!