Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Tesla - Should i be Wary of a Car with Pads and Disc Replaced at 45 Miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I'm about to take the plunge into the electric car mark and realistically don't wan't to go down any route that isn't a Tesla as the alternative i was just about to purchase was a Lotus Evora which i've had to punt as we just got a big puppy and an EV makes more sense given my council's decisions to make any fun petrol astronomical to own.

I've found a car that seems pretty reasonable, its a 85D MY15 with supercharging and AP1 which are really my only requirements. However, it has a few things that concern me slightly but i'm just not sure who these stack-up in an EV vs. an ICE car and more specifically a Tesla. If i saw these on my current car or the Lotus i'd probably not think much of it.

The car is a MY18 85D with 59K Miles on the clock. The guy selling is is selling for genuine reasons and a lovely chap to talk to.

Concerns.
  1. No service history. When asked he suggested that in the period he has had it he's not serviced it and he was unable to retrieve any service info from the previous 3 owners.
  2. Discs and Pads were replaced at 45K miles. Reading a few things online these felt a bit odd as it seems like shelf life for Tesla brakes is pretty strong. The issue of warping came up a lot online but given the lack of info on the change this feels odd.

For reference it comes without any extended warranty.
Is there anything here I should be too concerned about?

Thanks

Sounds like there is some service history - the brakes were replaced. If nothing else went wrong then there is no need for the car to be in service. I'm not sure why this would be a concern. It's very possible they were slightly warped and he replaced them to get rid of the vibrations.

Are you saying that you will be the 5th owner of a 2015 MS? Are all the previous owners still alive? Maybe the car is cursed...

Yes potentially (at least in the case of this option). The current owner bought it to travel for work but his charging dreams were scuppered (owned for about 8 months). Before that i don't really know the history and neither does he sadly.

Sounds like there is some service history - the brakes were replaced. If nothing else went wrong then there is no need for the car to be in service. I'm not sure why this would be a concern. It's very possible they were slightly warped and he replaced them to get rid of the vibrations.

Thanks for the response and this makes total sense. I'm probably just over indexing on the brake warping and the potential driving style of the many previous owners :)

The brake warping is pretty common on heavier cars at this kind of mileage. Mine are slightly warped too at 55K miles (I have a 2016.5 car). I think it's not so much about driving style as the way these brakes are used - for the smaller stuff you use the regen, so the brakes never really warm up, and only for the heavy braking do you use the friction brakes which means they are heat cycled quite a bit. I actually think being on the brakes more means less heat cycles and therefore less chance of warping.

I replaced my front brakes as well around the 56k mark. Could have done it earlier as the brakes were warped when I bought it at 48k. They should really be serviced once a year (lubricated/cleaned). That said, they are not that expensive/difficult to replace rotors and pads yourself. Total was around $220 for aftermarket rotors and pads.

Reactions: rickyjb
Huh?
I have 88k on original pads and rotors. Never touched the brakes.
Not sure what classifies as a wet climate? Now salt is another issue. Doubt they use salt in London but certainly not as much as WI.
And sorry - there has never been a recommendation for "cleaning and lubricating" brakes once a year. Changing brake fluid - sure. Otherwise - no.
That fact and 5 owners would give me pause. A good Tesla is a great thing. A bad one.....

My SC in the NE told me in 2018 that Tesla strongly recommends annual brake lubrication and cleaning due to road salt and winter weather. I had that done at both annual service visits but not sure it made a difference as I notice slight vibration at 33k miles and three years. This from a regen happy driver but winter causes more friction use due to cold temps.

Huh?
Not sure what classifies as a wet climate? Now salt is another issue. Doubt they use salt in London but certainly not as much as WI.
And sorry - there has never been a recommendation for "cleaning and lubricating" brakes once a year. Changing brake fluid - sure. Otherwise - no.
That fact and 5 owners would give me pause. A good Tesla is a great thing. A bad one.....

Relevant thread:
Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

My pads needed a lot of four letter words to come out of the calipers when I changed them. This was originally a Chicago car. I'm not sure if they had ever been serviced, but the car seemed to be well taken care of otherwise.

This is a good video as well for doing the deed:

Huh?
Care to define the term "never" for the rest of us? Several of us seem to be using the word differently than you?

Most brakes should be periodically cleaned and lubed to make sure the pads float well. The way the Brembos capture the pad makes for a lot more contact area to bind than old school single piston designs which can lead to the pad binding in the caliper. Pedal will get soft as the pad is flexed in wears away friction material but since it is captured at the to outer egdes and those can bind what happens is you lose the "self adjustment" for pad wear and the friction material renounds ever further from the rotor. Then the pads are making crappy contact and the rotor and the royors go the hell too.

While a shimmy during braking is a common problem attributed to warping, actual warping is rare. It is more often pad deposits or something causing inconsistent friction.

I started cleaning and lubricating the caliper pins when I change from winter to summer tires. Easy enough to do, costs nothing, and eliminates the squealing. I’d guess some mechanic was lazy and threw new pads and rotors on rather than diagnosing it...

@91JN, My opinion to your question is not important. Only your opinion of whether you should buy it.
I have only one question for you, and you don't need to answer me.

Is this the only MY in your area that you could buy? (Its not a 2015 or 2018 MY. If it a 2015, its a Model S, by the way.) :)

@91JN, My opinion to your question is not important. Only your opinion of whether you should buy it.
I have only one question for you, and you don't need to answer me.

Is this the only MY in your area that you could buy? (Its not a 2015 or 2018 MY. If it a 2015, its a Model S, by the way.) :)

I think MY means Model Year. I think it is a 2015 Model S 85D as there is no such thing as 2018 Model S 85D. The MY18 was a typo... should be the same as before MY15 (Model Year 2015).