Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tires are 3 months old. Three out of the four tires have peeling off where the tires meet the curb while parking. I have never seen anything like it on tires before. The inner rim of the tires is shredding and I have concerns about the tires blowing while driving. Should I be concerned about my safety plus any passengers? What should I do?
IMG_20230517_080658.jpg
and the vehicle is only three months old. Is this a safety issue?

Looks like there is something sharp where you are parking or driving. Perhaps a metal top of a storm drain? Maybe even a pothole or other dip with a hard edge? Maybe a pipe or piece of rebar sticking up somewhere? Perhaps even a manhole cover where the road is under construction (sticking up)? Hard to say, but I've never seen something like that from a regular curb, and the impacted area is too small for a normal curb rash anyway. Keep further from the curb and try to figure out where your hitting this area of your tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpfive
Tires are 3 months old. Three out of the four tires have peeling off where the tires meet the curb while parking. I have never seen anything like it on tires before. The inner rim of the tires is shredding and I have concerns about the tires blowing while driving. Should I be concerned about my safety plus any passengers? What should I do?View attachment 938520 and the vehicle is only three months old. Is this a safety issue?
Yes. Damage to sidewall is never a good thing.

Reactions: WyoDude
Ah, what?

There is clearly damage shown on your wheel edge/rim. It's from hitting something. It also appears to have damaged your sidewall.

No, personally I would not replace the tires as it's apparently cosmetic damage, assuming you're not driving at Autobahn-level speeds regularly . . . . If you see steel, sure, but this is just a section of mildly torn rubber. OEM tires are tough.

Solution: Stop running your wheels into the curb. And when you do need new tires, consider having your wheels touched up by a mobile wheel repair technician.

I'm curious what the owner of this vehicle wanted this forum validate? Perhaps ignore the fact that they curbed the tire very hard as evidenced by the deep rash on the rim itself? Did you want to find validation that this was somehow a tire defect and should be paid for by someone else? You broke it, you fix it. Simple. Get a new tire, learn from it and don't do it again.

I'm curious what the owner of this vehicle wanted this forum validate?
I think their main question was to the safety/integrity of the tires with damage like that, and there appears to be a lack of consensus on that.

I’ll happily plug a puncture and drive on it for the next 10k miles, but would replace a tire with that sort of sidewall damage. The rubber is not JUST aesthetic.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Tires are 3 months old. Three out of the four tires have peeling off where the tires meet the curb while parking. I have never seen anything like it on tires before. The inner rim of the tires is shredding and I have concerns about the tires blowing while driving. Should I be concerned about my safety plus any passengers? What should I do?View attachment 938520 and the vehicle is only three months old. Is this a safety issue?
Doesn’t look like a tire issue, more like parking curbs rash on rims that took a chunk of your tire. 😬Yikes I’m sure the thread is good. Was that you or your wife’s doing? 😲😂🤣

Looks like there is something sharp where you are parking or driving. Perhaps a metal top of a storm drain? Maybe even a pothole or other dip with a hard edge? Maybe a pipe or piece of rebar sticking up somewhere? Perhaps even a manhole cover where the road is under construction (sticking up)? Hard to say, but I've never seen something like that from a regular curb, and the impacted area is too small for a normal curb rash anyway. Keep further from the curb and try to figure out where your hitting this area of your tires.
The issue of safety has not been addressed in your response. As for your response, this is a matter of the tire meeting the curb when parking the vehicle. My driveway has no impact. I've never seen tires tear in the manner these do and my father was a mechanic. I've seen a lot of tires. The problem is the tires are not being scuffed like all the other normal rubber tires, but actually ripping at the band nearest the rims. There are at least four identical tears along the three tires. The way the tires are being manufactured or what they're made of, plus the rims providing zero protection for this inner rim of tire. If you can not address these concerns of why these and no other tires do this and safety concerns, then if an accident does occur you will then be held liable and we will have escalate this matter up the food chain and address it in a court of law. I only have one out of four tires which doesn't have these same tears. Again, the vehicle is only three months old, brand new tires don't do this! Someone will be held accountable!

Sincerely, Trev

The issue of safety has not been addressed in your response. As for your response, this is a matter of the tire meeting the curb when parking the vehicle. My driveway has no impact. I've never seen tires tear in the manner these do and my father was a mechanic. I've seen a lot of tires. The problem is the tires are not being scuffed like all the other normal rubber tires, but actually ripping at the band nearest the rims. There are at least four identical tears along the three tires. The way the tires are being manufactured or what they're made of, plus the rims providing zero protection for this inner rim of tire. If you can not address these concerns of why these and no other tires do this and safety concerns, then if an accident does occur you will then be held liable and we will have escalate this matter up the food chain and address it in a court of law. I only have one out of four tires which doesn't have these same tears. Again, the vehicle is only three months old, brand new tires don't do this! Someone will be held accountable!

Sincerely, Trev
Safety has been addressed in many of the responses. I, for one, am on the side of replacing them. If you are suggesting someone other than you (or whoever parks this car) is at fault you will have a tough time winning your case. It happened to me once with Michelins; same damage, same curb rash.
I would replace them and as someone said: park better.

Replace the tires. If you take chunks out of the sidewall, it weakens it and you can patch a sidewall. Hit a pothole while driving and it may cause a blowout. Stop getting so close to the curbs.

Sincerely, Trev
You should consider asking your mechanic dad to show you how to park. My uncle does streets and curbs, might want to sue him…

Reactions: buckets0fun

Sincerely, Trev
"
If you can not address these concerns of why these and no other tires do this and safety concerns, then if an accident does occur you will then be held liable

Who exactly is the "you" that you are referring to, and why the unfriendly tone?

Here's some free advice:
1. Don't make decisions about safety from opinions on an Internet forum.

2. Don't assume your car is somehow unique. Tearing three sidewalls in 3 months means that you're doing something to cause it. I tried to give some ideas of how.

Reactions: csrpenfab