Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABS, ESP ESP_w001, ESP_w002, ESP_w003 error code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ABS and ESP issues on my Model S 2015. The last 6 months I had error codes sporadically. See attached pictures for all codes.
IMG_6717.jpeg

It started for 6 months ago with error codes just for a few days and then it worked for some weeks. Especially in the mornings after a night with moisture. And then more frequently error codes was occurring. After driving in heavy rain it worked for almost two months without error codes. Then the error codes came back.

Measured front abs sensors and left sensor showed 5,8 MOhm. Right sensor showed 1,3kOhm. Decided to order a new abs sensor for left side.

When new abs sensor (Febi Bilstein) arrived it showed 9.0 MOhm. Decided then to replace left abs sensor front as this showed 1,3 kOhm. This did not work.

Ordered one more sensor and replaced also abs sensor right side front. That did also not work.

Now I have measure also the rear abs sensors and they show around 9 MOhm both sides. I also measured the contacts in the car and all four contacts shows around 0,9 MOhm.

After I replaced the first abs sensor the error codes does not disappear. I start to believe that my new front abs sensors (Febi Bilstein) makes the error. I also tried to turn the wheel and measure AC voltage but it’s not possible to get any reading at any position.

I do have diagonistic cable ethernet, but no access to Toolbox.

Could the error codes be caused by the ECU for ABS or the new abs sensors or should I go for replacing the rear abs sensors as well?

Any help forward would be highly appreciated!

IMG_6708.jpegIMG_6707.jpeg

Last edited:
Any ideas for next step?

Did you checked service mode for silent errors? Please share those in English

I don't think measuring ohms can tell if an active abs sensor is broken. It sends out a low voltage Square block signal unlike a passive abs sensor. Not sure if a multimeter is fast enough to measure, best to use a scope.

Not sure if you can see wheel speed sensor signals in CAN viewer service mode plus, maybe someone can verify that or you can try yourself with buying 1 hour Toolbox3. (Car will stay in SM+ even after the subscription ends so CAN viewer will still be accessable after the time limit)

Upvote 0
Did you checked service mode for silent errors? Please share those in English

I don't think measuring ohms can tell if an active abs sensor is broken. It sends out a low voltage Square block signal unlike a passive abs sensor. Not sure if a multimeter is fast enough to measure, best to use a scope.

Not sure if you can see wheel speed sensor signals in CAN viewer service mode plus, maybe someone can verify that or you can try yourself with buying 1 hour Toolbox3. (Car will stay in SM+ even after the subscription ends so CAN viewer will still be accessable after the time limit)
Thank you for advice. I believe you are right, I need an oscilloscope, or toolbox. But I have not yet managed to use toolbox. I feel stressed about hourly rate. I believe I will try with oscilloscope first.

Are these the codes you want? Can you see something that I missed?

IMG_6726.jpeg

Upvote 0
Thank you for advice. I believe you are right, I need an oscilloscope, or toolbox. But I have not yet managed to use toolbox. I feel stressed about hourly rate. I believe I will try with oscilloscope first.

Are these the codes you want? Can you see something that I missed?

View attachment 1049062

ESP_d020_wssFRAirGap

This alert indicates there was a WSS fault on the right front wheel speed sensor, which may be due to an incorrect alignment or adjustment. It may also be triggered by a bad air gap, wheel vibrations, or an incorrectly mounted WSS sensor (VDA sensor on WSS_FR).

Think this could be a clue where to search

Reactions: Richard Swed
Upvote 0
Thank you again.

The sporadically failure stopped after replacing front right abs sensor. Now the failure is all the time. So I believe you are right again :) .

How do I check incorrect alignment or adjustment?

Failure disappears after night or when I do wheel configuration. But as soon as I press the brake pedal the failure starts again. Without moving the car. This makes me believe that there is no failure with air gap or similar.

Upvote 0
I believe I understand now what you meant with alignment or adjustment. There is only one direction and height is same as for the old abs sensor.

Could the sensor ring be faulty and cause error codes after error codes are erased, even while not driving? Thinking of open the hub right side front, to check the sensor ring.

Upvote 0
I believe I understand now what you meant with alignment or adjustment. There is only one direction and height is same as for the old abs sensor.

Could the sensor ring be faulty and cause error codes after error codes are erased, even while not driving? Thinking of open the hub right side front, to check the sensor ring.

Good question, the ESP module can already see that even the stationary signal isn't what it needs to be, so for example if it expects a square wave from 0.45V and 1V but if it's measuring short to ground or 0.1V etc it will throw an error even without driving.

Gap can be off if wheel bearing is worn or worn sensor ring in wheel bearing or a lot of rust on sensor surface etc but a broken wire in main harness is also a possibility.

Maybe start by switching sensor from left to right if possible so see if error changes left to right then you know if sensor is ok or if you can get a scope would be nice then you don't need to open the hub.

btw sensor ring is an encoder ring inside the wheel bearing seal itself

VID_Hub-Replacement_Magnetic-Encoder.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard Swed
Upvote 0
Thank you again for good tip. I meet a friend who nows a guy that work at Tesla. He asked him about the air gap code. According to Tesla they replace wheel bearing often when they have this error code. Maybe the magnetism in the ring can drop or other failure. Not sure exactly how it works.

I will try to swop right and left sensor first. Not so easy as there is a risk to destroy new sensors. But I will make a try. Otherwise I think I will first find an oscilloscope and measure and depending on result maybe order a new wheel bearing with new sensor ring.

Now I have a way forward🙂

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gtech
Upvote 0
Thank you again for good tip. I meet a friend who nows a guy that work at Tesla. He asked him about the air gap code. According to Tesla they replace wheel bearing often when they have this error code. Maybe the magnetism in the ring can drop or other failure. Not sure exactly how it works.

I will try to swop right and left sensor first. Not so easy as there is a risk to destroy new sensors. But I will make a try. Otherwise I think I will first find an oscilloscope and measure and depending on result maybe order a new wheel bearing with new sensor ring.

Now I have a way forward🙂

Would be cool if you can make the issue visible on the scope

Upvote 0
Did some troubleshooting today. Unfortunately not access to scope yet.

Fault codes before trouble shooting today, with ESP_d020_wssFRAirGap:
IMG_6786.jpeg

Started with connecting LF abs cable to RF abs sensor. And same for the other side.

IMG_6787.jpeg

Now I got a new fault code. ESP_d009_wssFLAirgap. From my understanding this means that the abs sensor are working on both sides. And cables to abs sensors are working. Most likely bad magnetic ring in wheel bearing front right side. I have ordered a new wheel bearing for front right side. I hope it will work when I receive new wheel bearing.

IMG_6789.jpeg

Strange thing: I get ESP error codes (like w001, w002, w003)without driving. But Airgap codes (like d020 and d009) after driving just some meters. I guess the abs sensor front right side can feel the magnetic error in some way when the car is not moving.

Reactions: hydro
Upvote 0
Did some troubleshooting today. Unfortunately not access to scope yet.

Fault codes before trouble shooting today, with ESP_d020_wssFRAirGap:
View attachment 1050897

Started with connecting LF abs cable to RF abs sensor. And same for the other side.

View attachment 1050895

Now I got a new fault code. ESP_d009_wssFLAirgap. From my understanding this means that the abs sensor are working on both sides. And cables to abs sensors are working. Most likely bad magnetic ring in wheel bearing front right side. I have ordered a new wheel bearing for front right side. I hope it will work when I receive new wheel bearing.

View attachment 1050898

Strange thing: I get ESP error codes (like w001, w002, w003)without driving. But Airgap codes (like d020 and d009) after driving just some meters. I guess the abs sensor front right side can feel the magnetic error in some way when the car is not moving.
Hi, thanks for your post.

Yesterday I got the "cruise control disabled" message. Then later in the day, on top of that message, I got di_u013 Both pedals pressed. Then today, on top of the two previous error codes, I now have esp_w003 Traction control disabled and esp_w002 Stability control disabled and esp_d046_brake switchStuckHigh. I' ll start by checking both ground nuts in the frunk and let you know what I find.

Upvote 0
I must add that a year ago I did a complete rear "tune-up" and changed both rear bearings plus a bunch of suspension parts and new brakes and rotors as well as parking brakes. While doing so, I broke the right rear speed sensor and replaced it with an Amazon part. All the other parts were from Tesla. Last week I briefly had a electric parking brake fault (I did not note the exact code as it went away pretty fast).

Upvote 0