Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The leftmost pedal is the brake pedal, while the rightmost pedal apparently can become the break pedal. I must admit that I am totally without any comprehension as to why anyone would push the rightmost pedal hard enough to break it. It is functionally like a sewing machine speed control pedal and no significant force is ever required to operate it. Are these people suffering from repressed pedal car memories? Tricycles, or even bicycles?

I read the first entry on this thread several days ago. Obviously, I'm sorry the writer has a problem ... and I am sorry the pedal support is plastic.

Then today, I was thinking about the the initial post and went back and re-read it.
Quote: "just stomp on the pedal - like I do most often. When I punched it, the accelerator pedal broke off"

STOMP. ..... LIKE I DO MOST OFTEN ...... PUNCHED IT

I suppose the pedal should be able to withstand such treatment ... but stomping the pedal does not sound like it would ever be GOOD for a Tesla or any other vehicle.

I think in defense of the OP- Tesla, nor any car manufacturer, has ever given any advice about how hard one is allowed to push the pedal with their foot. I would think given the high risk associated with this Parts failure, that tesla should not have cut corners and gone with plastic here.

Reactions: croman
I think in defense of the OP- Tesla, nor any car manufacturer, has ever given any advice about how hard one is allowed to push the pedal with their foot.

Just as they don't give advice on how hard to close the hood or how hard to operate a wiper or headlight stalk. Both of which could fail from improper overuse and both of which are potentially more dangerous than losing acceleration from
a broken pedal.

I would think given the high risk associated with this Parts failure, that tesla should not have cut corners and gone with plastic here.

No, that's an incorrect conclusion based on an incomplete assessment. Plastic accelerator pedals are not new. Plastic load bearing gizmos are not new. Plastic things with heavy duty
cycles are not new. It is not the use of plastic that is a problem.

If there was a failure on Tesla's part it is in the design of the pedal assembly/subsystem, or more likely in not fully vetting integration/interferences at the system level. (Some folks report interfence with floor mats--which is no where near a problem on my car, but tesla floor mats have been historically substandard...)

I read the first entry on this thread several days ago. Obviously, I'm sorry the writer has a problem ... and I am sorry the pedal support is plastic.

Then today, I was thinking about the the initial post and went back and re-read it.
Quote: "just stomp on the pedal - like I do most often. When I punched it, the accelerator pedal broke off"

STOMP. ..... LIKE I DO MOST OFTEN ...... PUNCHED IT

I suppose the pedal should be able to withstand such treatment ... but stomping the pedal does not sound like it would ever be GOOD for a Tesla or any other vehicle.

Really? These are performance-oriented cars renowned for insane acceleration with an electric pedal (i.e., acceleration is perfectly correlated with how rapidly you can max out the pedal). Stomping/punching the pedal is almost encouraged, even, within the realm safe driving. How else can you hit Tesla's highly advertised 0-60mph times?

Your last sentence has no weight. Charging the car does sound like it would ever be GOOD for a Tesla: stop doing that. You're wearing down the batteries. Driving over 40mph does not sound like it would ever be GOOD for a Tesla: terribly stressful on the motors. You should know better. /s

This car has hardly any mechanical parts. You'd think the few that drivers constantly interact with (i.e., the pedals) would last forever even with lead feet.

Let's hope this was a manufacturing defect.

Stomping/punching the pedal is almost encouraged, even, within the realm safe driving.

If all the people who mash the pedal to go fast actually knew how to drive fast, it wouldn't be a problem. Stomping the pedal in a performance driving situation is a display of gross ineperience. It is not a controlled motion. It accelerates fatigue. It encourages a tense body that is inefficient to changing conditions.

Oh, and, it's not any faster.

If people would spend less time complaining about a broken part due to misuse and more time at driving lessons...

This is Tesla's solution to the launch counter gate, instead of limiting the battery, the accelerator pedal will simply fall off from now on.

Also, it balances all that unintended acceleration karma with unintended deceleration. Feng shui.

On a more serious note, quite surprised to see that part made of plastic. I wonder if the brake is made of the same material?

From a previous thread, the brake is metal, the accelerator is plastic.

Part of what you are actually paying for with a Tesla is, amazingly enough, adding "lightness" to get down to an almost reasonable weight. This is part of that effort. Even if you pay for an occasional accelerator pedal because it is a little too lightweight for you, overall the decreased weight is reducing your energy consumption and increasing your range. With a little extra care it will do the job.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
From a previous thread, the brake is metal, the accelerator is plastic.

Part of what you are actually paying for with a Tesla is, amazingly enough, adding "lightness" to get down to an almost reasonable weight. This is part of that effort. Even if you pay for an occasional accelerator pedal because it is a little too lightweight for you, overall the decreased weight is reducing your energy consumption and increasing your range. With a little extra care it will do the job.
I completely agree except that it should have been made from carbon fiber then.

Reactions: Stirfelt
If all the people who mash the pedal to go fast actually knew how to drive fast, it wouldn't be a problem. Stomping the pedal in a performance driving situation is a display of gross ineperience. It is not a controlled motion. It accelerates fatigue. It encourages a tense body that is inefficient to changing conditions.

Oh, and, it's not any faster.

If people would spend less time complaining about a broken part due to misuse and more time at driving lessons...

If people would spend less time worrying about red herrings, discussions would move a lot faster. You don't know anything definitive about OP's driving safety, body positioning, dynamics, fatigue, driving experience, car control, or adaptability.

"It's not any faster" o_O Do you give this same advice to at drag strips? "Don't push hard on the gas, actually." :rolleyes: These are launches, not track time trials.

Reactions: MikeBur and cdub
If people would spend less time worrying about red herrings, discussions would move a lot faster. You don't know anything definitive about OP's driving safety, body positioning, dynamics, fatigue, driving experience, car control, or adaptability.

"It's not any faster" o_O Do you give this same advice to at drag strips? "Don't push hard on the gas, actually." :rolleyes: These are launches, not track time trials.
Actually the advice for drag racing that I've heard is to roll on the power because using too much at once makes you break traction. Breaking traction is less acceleration, so it is defeating the purpose. Granted some cars don't have enough power to break traction at full throttle from a stop, but those cars aren't really competitive at any kind of racing from what I understand.

Actually the advice for drag racing that I've heard is to roll on the power because using too much at once makes you break traction. Breaking traction is less acceleration, so it is defeating the purpose.

@Jason S

While true for RWD/FWD, not very relevant to AWD cars in dry conditions. I can certainly floor my P100D without any slippage on dry, clean roads and same holds true for many AWD cars.

Really, I can't people are making excuses for Tesla on this. Accelerator pedals should not be breaking in half. No, really, they should not be. Drivetrains have parts where wear and tear is understandable, but a rigid part of the accelerator pedal is not one of those...

Let's just call it what it is, clearly a poorly designed part.