Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Hitch Installation for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least you have the lawfull possibility to install a tow hitch. If Tesla doesn't do the proper paperwork for EU homologation, no one in Europe can drive a model 3 with a tow-hitch. It will be illegal :(:(

I hate to be the negative one here as I'm usually all for innovative ideas like this... but this is a problem in the United States also.

The OP has stated repeatedly: "Don't try this at home" as I suspect he is aware of the issues associated with towing a trailer with a vehicle that isn't rated for it.

This issue comes up all the time on the truck forums I visit (I tow a lot of different things) and people are constantly asking if they can pull more than what their vehicle is rated for. The answer is that there are not definitive laws against it, but you are knowingly engaging in reckless behavior. The fine print in your insurance documents will mention this if you look close enough. They won't cover anything that happens to your car or trailer if you are overweight. For the Model 3 that includes any number greater than 0.

Here's the worst part... if you ever get in any accident the first thing after ensuring everyone is safe/alive the police will do is pull up the tow rating on your vehicle. If it comes back lower than what you're pulling, you will likely be at fault for the accident. Since the Model 3 will come back with "zero" they will write you a ticket and the other party involved could sue you. So again, try this at your own risk.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
I hate to be the negative one here as I'm usually all for innovative ideas like this... but this is a problem in the United States also.

The OP has stated repeatedly: "Don't try this at home" as I suspect he is aware of the issues associated with towing a trailer with a vehicle that isn't rated for it.

This issue comes up all the time on the truck forums I visit (I tow a lot of different things) and people are constantly asking if they can pull more than what their vehicle is rated for. The answer is that there are not definitive laws against it, but you are knowingly engaging in reckless behavior. The fine print in your insurance documents will mention this if you look close enough. They won't cover anything that happens to your car or trailer if you are overweight. For the Model 3 that includes any number greater than 0.

He's the worst part... if you ever get in any accident the first thing after ensuring everyone is safe/alive the police will do is pull up the tow rating on your vehicle. If it comes back lower than what you're pulling, you will likely be at fault for the accident. Since the Model 3 will come back with "zero" they will write you a ticket and the other party involved could sue you. So again, try this at your own risk.
Since I began towing and paying attention, I find it stunning how many people tow with improper setups/distribution/vehicles, etc. Your note is well phrased and intentioned. I do think that a properly set up hitch and lightweight cargo on the 3 seems to be as safe as any other sedan, but your caveats are worthwhile consideration for readers.

Since I began towing and paying attention, I find it stunning how many people tow with improper setups/distribution/vehicles, etc. Your note is well phrased and intentioned. I do think that a properly set up hitch and lightweight cargo on the 3 seems to be as safe as any other sedan, but your caveats are worthwhile consideration for readers.

Thanks, I hate to rain on the parade but I wanted everyone to know what they were getting into before jumping in. The really unfortunate part is that the Model 3 could potentially be the best small sedan there is for towing due to it's construction and wheelbase.

If anyone does choose to take the risk of adding a trailer to their Model 3, please at least look into a weight distribution hitch with some sort of anti-sway feature. I traded my Toyota Tundra in for a 200-series Land Cruiser and lost about 2000 lbs of towing capacity. Adding this setup to my vehicle with less capability made an insanely big difference. I carry about 475 lbs of tongue weight (vehicle is rated for 850 lbs tongue weight, 8500 lbs towing) and it was making the rear suspension sag by over 3" at only 56% of the weight rating.

MVIMG_20180325_114530.jpg

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

Here's the worst part... if you ever get in any accident the first thing after ensuring everyone is safe/alive the police will do is pull up the tow rating on your vehicle. If it comes back lower than what you're pulling, you will likely be at fault for the accident. Since the Model 3 will come back with "zero" they will write you a ticket and the other party involved could sue you. So again, try this at your own risk.
The important difference for Europeans is: if there is no homologation for a tow-hitch, the police can (and will) fine you even when you are not towing at all (if they just spot the thing mounted on your car). And of course our insurance companies have the same stance about reckless behaviour.

Hmmm... Just realized this morning that w/o a D-Ring to hook the chains to I am going to have difficulty towing a car behind my Model 3. The Toad attaches directly to the receiver, so there is no Ball Mount to attach the D-Ring too. I looked at all my other hitches and they have the D-Ring welded on either side of the receiver. I thought how easy that would be to have them welded, but then I remembered, that is how you get access to remove the bolt holding the receiver on the car.

Thoughts?

-Randy

That is an interesting point. I keep scraping my hitch receiver when I exit the driveway. I wonder if I am bending my car. I have had LOTS of cars that scrape the hitch on this driveway, but I never worried about it before.

-Randy

Hi, I installed the torklift hitch on my model 3. what I'm finding is that it is pretty much impossible to get the safety chains through the hole and onto the hitch . The hole just isn't big enough to get your hand in there with the chain and latch it. I'm thinking I need to get a short section of chain or aircraft wire with some heavy duty caribiners on the end to attach to the hitch, then hang down to the hole where the safety chain can be attached. I plan on going from Toronto to Florida with a trailer so it all needs to be working properly.

Any other ideas?

Hi, I installed the torklift hitch on my model 3. what I'm finding is that it is pretty much impossible to get the safety chains through the hole and onto the hitch . The hole just isn't big enough to get your hand in there with the chain and latch it. I'm thinking I need to get a short section of chain or aircraft wire with some heavy duty caribiners on the end to attach to the hitch, then hang down to the hole where the safety chain can be attached. I plan on going from Toronto to Florida with a trailer so it all needs to be working properly.

Any other ideas?
Maybe add some way to secure the short chains when you're not using them so they don't rattle. Maybe a fabric sleeve, or magnets...

I accidentally cut the hole off-center, cause I'm an idiot, and to make it symmetrical I cut a second hole off-center the other way, so I can easily access my hitch even with my big hands. I have not thought about covering the hole, since it's only an option. Hopefully I won't ever need to think about it, but this mistake worked out well for me.

IMG_5227.JPG

Thanks for posting this. To be honest, I never noticed the place to attach the chains until your post, I was thinking I would need to weld something on...

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Thank you all for this thread. I have mounted a Stealthitch on my Dual Motor LR M3, and am about to take delivery on a small Teardrop trailer, which will come with a 7-pin connector. I can use an adapter to connect to the 4-pin on the M3, but it sure would be nice have an 7-pin on the M3, so I could keep the trailer battery topped off. Is it possible to mount a working 7-pin outlet on the M3?