Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

I’m having a third party steering wheel installed in place of my yoke and was wondering if there’s any chance of requesting Tesla to push the software update so my visuals will be updated (even though this isn’t the OEM wheel).

Not the end of the world if they can’t/won’t, but wanted to check with the room.

Happy to reference or start another op, but was wondering if you went this route or anyone else perusing this thread.

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 12.12.38 PM.png

I can't stand shiny leather so always option up carbon fiber OEM wheel options when avail. I have no idea how my 2023 MSP's vinyl will wear as it's the first time I've bought a car using this synthetic material.

I love the look of the above because real Napa leather + non-China sourced cf. I'm curious if the matte carbon fiber finish will also get shiny over time. Else I'll opt for the wet look cf yoke.

TIA

Unlikely they will do it. I tried to get them to do it for my Hansshow wheel and no joy. I have to say have a real leather wheel, and well shaped, has really enhanced the enjoyment of my car. I don't care about the icons that much. Grabbing the nice Napa leather when I drive really makes the car feel more upscale.

Here is the wheel I went with. Looks like they have some nice discounts. FYI - I have no relationship with them. Their customer service can be hit or miss but the wheel has been awesome. I had a chance to compare it back to back with the yoke and the Tesla wheel in my MS LR. I didn't go with CF, just the leather all around and no stripe.

Here is the wheel I went with. Looks like they have some nice discounts. FYI - I have no relationship with them. Their customer service can be hit or miss but the wheel has been awesome. I had a chance to compare it back to back with the yoke and the Tesla wheel in my MS LR. I didn't go with CF, just the leather all around and no stripe.

That's nice. How's the quality? I was leaning towards Secret EV, but that one seems be as good.

It isn't perfect, but it is pretty good. I has a little bit of a gap where the center piece with all the haptic buttons are. It took a little fudging with it to get it right but overall I've been very happy with it.

They had a bit too much material in there that I had to shave away to give a bit more clearance. Once I figured that out, it has been a real joy to use other than the issue of lack of stalks which isn't the wheel's fault. The gap wasn't bad, and it wasn't in my line of sight so I probably could have lived with it but once I saw it, I had to fix it.

It was one of their early production wheels and I bought it when it immediately was available. I paid more for it then than they are now and it is still worth what I paid for it to me.

Reactions: Plaidness
Hi All!

I’m having a third party steering wheel installed in place of my yoke and was wondering if there’s any chance of requesting Tesla to push the software update so my visuals will be updated (even though this isn’t the OEM wheel).

Not the end of the world if they can’t/won’t, but wanted to check with the room.
What do you mean by the visuals being updated? The buttons on the steering wheel still light up on aftermarket ones, right? I don't think that's what you're talking about, but want to make sure.

It isn't perfect, but it is pretty good. I has a little bit of a gap where the center piece with all the haptic buttons are. It took a little fudging with it to get it right but overall I've been very happy with it.

They had a bit too much material in there that I had to shave away to give a bit more clearance. Once I figured that out, it has been a real joy to use other than the issue of lack of stalks which isn't the wheel's fault. The gap wasn't bad, and it wasn't in my line of sight so I probably could have lived with it but once I saw it, I had to fix it.

It was one of their early production wheels and I bought it when it immediately was available. I paid more for it then than they are now and it is still worth what I paid for it to me.
Do you mind posting a pic? I ended up ordering a wheel from Hansshow with Nappa leather and gloss carbon, as well as gloss carbon trim from RPM Tesla. Looking forward to a nice interior upgrade in the coming weeks!

My last post was to you. If you can post pic, I'd appreciate it.