Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any P90DL owners got their 100 kWh battery upgrade yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, it's over a year since Elon promised us P90DL drivers that for $10,000 we'd be able to upgrade to the 100 kWh pack.

Has anyone (who is eligible) had this done yet - and if so, where are you located please?

I keep contacting Tesla in the UK, and no one knows anything. In fact, I sense a growing consensus amongst Tesla staff that this isn't something that's going to be offered to us (which would be an outright betrayal of everything I was personally promised before I even took delivery of the car).

Just to remind you of Elon's promise, here's a link to the P100D press release:-

New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Just to clarify again: we're talking about customers who ordered the P90D with Ludicrous before the 23 August announcement, but took delivery after the announcement.

Why is this important? Well, we could have cancelled the delivery (and lost our $2000 deposit) but then re-ordered a P100D and received it well before our promised battery upgrade. However, for me, the biggest issue is that we were clearly promised something over a year ago and made a very big payment on the basis of this.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Unfortunately you are not the only one...

I just received an email from Tesla that my Signature Model X P90DL cannot be upgraded to 100 kWh battery. I ordered the upgrade before taking delivery. I will be looking for a more complete answer as to why and if there is anything that can be done, even with cost.

I wonder how many cars actually can be upgraded, and if any Model X can be upgraded. It's entirely possible that this promise was too much and very few if any will be upgraded.

My Model X was ordered 2016-03-03 and delivered 2016-09-12 in Finland.

Already with just the delay this goes on a growing list of Tesla's sales bait and switches. (They were talking early 2017 for the upgrade at the time.)

:(

Reactions: xborg and NerdUno
OK, it's over a year since Elon promised us P90DL drivers that for $10,000 we'd be able to upgrade to the 100 kWh pack.

Has anyone (who is eligible) had this done yet - and if so, where are you located please?

I keep contacting Tesla in the UK, and no one knows anything. In fact, I sense a growing consensus amongst Tesla staff that this isn't something that's going to be offered to us (which would be an outright betrayal of everything I was personally promised before I even took delivery of the car).

Just to remind you of Elon's promise, here's a link to the P100D press release:-

Just to clarify again: we're talking about customers who ordered the P90D with Ludicrous before the 23 August announcement, but took delivery after the announcement.

Why is this important? Well, we could have cancelled the delivery (and lost our $2000 deposit) but then re-ordered a P100D and received it well before our promised battery upgrade. However, for me, the biggest issue is that we were clearly promised something over a year ago and made a very big payment on the basis of this.
If there is one piece of advice I give to anyone considering a Tesla: "Great cars, great service, but never ever count on anything promised in the future, unless you like being disappointed". After purchasing 3 new Teslas since 2013, I will say that I would not buy any important to me feature from Tesla that is not available on the delivery date, unless they came with a written money back guarantee and a reasonable deadline.

I'm not a P90DL owner, so this does not affect me, but I'm still mad as hell about it. There are some owners that throw the word "fraud" around a lot here, but in this case especially, I would totally agree with that claim. I would definitely be contacting a lawyer if I was clearly eligible for this upgrade and it was later denied!!

If there is one piece of advice I give to anyone considering a Tesla: "Great cars, great service, but never ever count on anything promised in the future, unless you like being disappointed". After purchasing 3 new Teslas since 2013, I will say that I would not buy any important to me feature from Tesla that is not available on the delivery date, unless they came with a written money back guarantee and a reasonable deadline.

The value of Tesla's word for future events has fallen from around 90-100% in mid-2014 to around 0-10% in late-2017.

There used to be a saying "Tesla will make it right" on TMC and indeed there seemed to be such an attitude within Tesla itself at one point.

I see such confidence much, much less these days.

Reactions: xborg
I'm not a P90DL owner, so this does not affect me, but I'm still mad as hell about it. There are some owners that throw the word "fraud" around a lot here, but in this case especially, I would totally agree with that claim. I would definitely be contacting a lawyer if I was clearly eligible for this upgrade and it was later denied!!
Yea, the problem is it's like FSD, there are no official deadlines, so even on your deathbed 60 years from now, Tesla is still covered with "it's coming soon". Gotta say, a company that can't seem to get automatic wipers going for almost a year now seems like they don't really have their act together at all. I get they may have been forced by MobileEye to move to AP2 before it was ready, but MobileEye did not force Tesla to remove a working rain sensor in lieu of Elon's brain-fart. Elon got drunk on his own early success and way overextended himself on that credit - his people cannot cover all the promises he keeps making. The most they can do is legal CYA by putting "nobody knows when" in fine print wherever they can. I don't own a P90DL, but I go have a P85DL which was supposed to have 691hp before the "L" via the "highway speeds OTA upgrade", but even after paying Tesla an additional $5K for a retrofit it barely makes 500hp. Could I sue, probably, but it's really not worth my time and aggravation. When it came time to get another Tesla though, I got a 60D instead of the the latest P I was originally thinking, mostly because I wanted at least one Tesla that will deliver on everything it promised, like battery capacity and performance (of course to achieve that I didn't pay for EAP/FSD).

When it came time to get another Tesla though, I got a 60D instead of the the latest P I was originally thinking, mostly because I wanted at least one Tesla that will deliver on everything it promised, like battery capacity and performance (of course to achieve that I didn't pay for EAP/FSD).

The "fool me once" effect.

More prevalent in these parts than many may realize, nowadays. People who have been paying attention seem to be far more reluctant at buying into forward-looking statements. In fact, even many ardent fans seem to be sitting in a holding pattern regarding upgrades or downgrading, when it used to be a bit different.

Did you try pushing this up the chain? I hesitate to say that Tesla might have forgotten about this, but... it's a chaotic organization. Certainly the local people won't know anything and probably don't care too much. But I can see somebody higher up in the organization being more concerned. This should be be an easy fix.

Did you try pushing this up the chain? I hesitate to say that Tesla might have forgotten about this, but... it's a chaotic organization. Certainly the local people won't know anything and probably don't care too much. But I can see somebody higher up in the organization being more concerned. This should be be an easy fix.
Since nobody reported getting this upgrade, your theory would be they forgot about all the customers they promised it to? I guess anything is possible, maybe the they also just forgot about the auto-wipers functionality. ;)

The idea of escalating through the MyTesla dashboard sound like it would be worth a try though.

How could Tesla have forgotten about such a public promise? They made a press release/blog post of it. They took orders/reservations for the parts to the factory.

Yet there seem to be little or none in terms of reports of people actually getting the ordered upgrade that was supposed to come in early 2017 (just nicely beyond the dates to get people to accept deliveries in Q4...).

No, it is impossible Tesla has forgotten.

That said, publicity / escalation might put some newfound urgency in them.

Last edited:
How could Tesla have forgotten about such a public promise? They made a press release/blog post of it. They took orders for the parts to the factory.

Yet there seem to be little or none in terms of reports of people actually getting the ordered upgrade that was supposed to come in early 2017 (just nicely beyond the dates to get people to accept deliveries in Q4...).

No, it is impossible Tesla has forgotten.

That said, publicity / escalation might put some newfound urgency in them.

Who knows? Remember that you're dealing with an organization that has a LOT of promises out there, and tends to skittle from crisis to crisis. Maybe "forgotten" is the wrong word... it's probably on somebody's to-do pile, about 6 inches down the stack.

I suspect that raising this one up the ladder would get a response. If nothing else, it would be an easy win for them.

Who knows? Remember that you're dealing with an organization that has a LOT of promises out there, and tends to skittle from crisis to crisis. Maybe "forgotten" is the wrong word... it's probably on somebody's to-do pile, about 6 inches down the stack.

I suspect that raising this one up the ladder would get a response. If nothing else, it would be an easy win for them.

Possible.

What concerns me about the "easy win" part is, whether or not the delay is indicative of some problem they did not anticipate, e.g. either architectural, regulatory or logistical. If it is just they didn't get around to it yet, that would be a bit less of a concern, though still very unpleasant given some leased the cars and one third of that lease may be up by now...

Possible.

What concerns me about the "easy win" part is, whether or not the delay is indicative of some problem they did not anticipate, e.g. either architectural, regulatory or logistical. If it is just they didn't get around to it yet, that would be a bit less of a concern, though still very unpleasant given some leased the cars and one third of that lease may be up by now...

No argument. Tesla is not a perfect organization; but they're undeniably the best long range EV manufacturer out there. As in, they actually cars and not just an artist's portfolios of concepts for 2020/2022.

I suspect most of their issues are just screwups... and not malicious deception or disregard.

No argument. Tesla is not a perfect organization; but they're undeniably the best long range EV manufacturer out there. As in, they actually cars and not just an artist's portfolios of concepts for 2020/2022.

I suspect most of their issues are just screwups... and not malicious deception or disregard.
In other words: Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia

But I was also going to say, I was wondering if there's something about the (new) 100 packs that is incompatible with the 90 cars and no one thought to make them 'match'. D'oh...

In other words: Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia

But I was also going to say, I was wondering if there's something about the (new) 100 packs that is incompatible with the 90 cars and no one thought to make them 'match'. D'oh...

Others are more qualified to answer that, but I believe there were mechanical/electrical upgrades in the P90D (the so-called V2) in the months just prior to the release of the P100D. And as I understand it those late P90Ds are the same as the P100D, save the bigger battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyG
Others are more qualified to answer that, but I believe there were mechanical/electrical upgrades in the P90D in the months just prior to the release of the P100D. And as I understand it those late P90Ds are the same as the P100D, save the bigger battery.
If those were the only ones 'covered' by the promise of the upgrade, excellent!

• Disagree
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I think it's simpler than that. The profit margin on a P100D is much higher than refitting a P90DL car. Since there is a limited supply of 100kW packs the clear business decision is to fill the P100D pipeline first.

How do you know that there's still a limited supply? I know a few folks who are getting the hard press to buy vehicles prior to EOQ. It doesn't sound like they're production constrained on the S/X lines anymore. And the lead times for 75s & 100s are exactly the same right now, so that implies that the 100 battery production is keeping up with demand.

Others are more qualified to answer that, but I believe there were mechanical/electrical upgrades in the P90D (the so-called V2) in the months just prior to the release of the P100D. And as I understand it those late P90Ds are the same as the P100D, save the bigger battery.

... I would definitely be contacting a lawyer if I was clearly eligible for this upgrade and it was later denied!!

I thought that that was the case; that none of the prior ones were eligible.

QUOTE FROM TESLA'S WEBSITE:
"Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled."

According to this document ripped straight from Tesla's website, *ALL* P90DL cars are eligible. The difference is in how much they want you to pay. But that's the thing, they've already changed the rules after this write-up, and changed the criteria for who's eligible. Now they are saying only the facelift cars are eligible. And yes, the consensus is that the V2/V3 batteries share the same architecture, so in theory they would be an easy drop-in replacement.