Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any P90DL owners got their 100 kWh battery upgrade yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, that still leaves quite a large population of P90DL owners (V1 folks) feeling severely screwed. Not only did we not get the performance we paid for, but now are being told we're not eligible to upgrade to the 100kWh pack. I was willing to suck it up, and pay for the 100kWh upgrade, not only for the extended range and newer pack design, but also to finally get the performance for which I had already paid and was never delivered. But now we're stripped from doing that as well.
You are forgetting P85D folks who purchase cars speed at 691hp but received cars that can produce only 463hp. Yea, I've heard the BS about motors being capable but not the battery, but somehow they didn't quote such motor only numbers for non P numbers (both 70 and 85's had identical motors but the power in the same spec place as the P's 691hp was different between 70 and 85).

Face it, we got screwed. Tesla MO seems to be promise something, "radio silence" while people get angry, release newer product so I they can say the issue doesn't apply to the new products, then hope over time people forget or simply give up. In 10 years FSD for AP2 will be irrelevant and actually Tesla can claim they have it ready then, it's just that all AP2 hardware is out of warranty and not able to use it. By then AP2 cars will be cheap (10 years old) so nobody will care.

I emailed them again earlier today and heres the reply, supposedly upgrades are in progress now!

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the 100kWh Battery Pack upgrade.

The purpose of this correspondence is to provide you with an update on the progress. Your VIN is still qualified for this upgrade. Upgrades are currently in progress and we will continue to work through the interest list. In the weeks ahead, the Vehicle Accessories team will be reaching out to you with more details for upgrading your vehicle. The process will include taking a deposit and scheduling your service appointment.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact [email protected] and we would be happy to assist further.

Thank you for the update. Once again a very vague message from Tesla but at least it is not an end of the road yet. :D Have we actually heard of someone getting the update?

@Hyvätti did you get an update on your promised and once denied 100 kW upgrade?

Face it, we got screwed. Tesla MO seems to be promise something, "radio silence" while people get angry, release newer product so I they can say the issue doesn't apply to the new products, then hope over time people forget or simply give up.

I agree this is how it seemed to happen with P85D, P85DL and P90DL performance claims. Not only that, Tesla tried to even lessen that performance after fact until @azdryheat sued them and got them to change their minds.

Tesla also never came out with the promised lighted vanity mirrors retrofitted to all Model S. They promised that right here on TMC, probably so nobody would delay their purchase because of that...

And now we of course have the massive delays of the 100 kW upgrades and AP2 functionality and so forth... Interesting to see if the same thing happens again as you speculate. The delays in and of themselves are already a form of bait and switch of course...

• Love
Reactions: KyleDay and sorka
How do you know that there's still a limited supply? I know a few folks who are getting the hard press to buy vehicles prior to EOQ. It doesn't sound like they're production constrained on the S/X lines anymore. And the lead times for 75s & 100s are exactly the same right now, so that implies that the 100 battery production is keeping up with demand.

How do you know supply isn't limited? Packs are made to order so the lead time for vehicle delivery is a reflection on how long it takes to assemble more than availability. As long as there is a steady stream of 100kW cars there is no incentive to make a less profitable sale to an existing 90kW car.

What? That's absurd! You aren't supposed to do that! You are just supposed to complain here on the forum in ignorance rather than actually seek any information that might be useful -- especially if it might undercut the imagined basis for outrage!

The problem is, many of us have already e-mailed them and received vague (at best) replies. A typical response is that no one knows anything, no one has a time scale, or that no one has even heard about this.

As I noted earlier in this topic, I spoke directly with the Tesla director for Europe - way back in April - and was given a timescale of Q3 2017. Well, we're almost into Q4, and nothing has happened. That's why I'm so keen to actually hear whether ANYONE, anywhere, has actually received the battery upgrade. I'd also be interested to know whether Tesla are going to provide any sort of goodwill for keeping us waiting for the best part of a year.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
What? That's absurd! You aren't supposed to do that! You are just supposed to complain here on the forum in ignorance rather than actually seek any information that might be useful -- especially if it might undercut the imagined basis for outrage!

The much quoted @Hyvätti too had emailed Tesla. Most of the info here is based on emails from Tesla.

Tesla has not been communicating well.

Reactions: d.c.palmer
How do you know supply isn't limited? Packs are made to order so the lead time for vehicle delivery is a reflection on how long it takes to assemble more than availability. As long as there is a steady stream of 100kW cars there is no incentive to make a less profitable sale to an existing 90kW car.

Well.... intelligent manufacturers always build capacity somewhat above demand. They do this for a lot of reasons... the need to build inventory for shutdowns, to pickup for machine downtime, etc... They've had the 100 pack line running for quite a while, so I'm sure they have the bugs worked out.

As long as they can make more packs than they can sell 100D/P100Ds, they're not losing anything by doing the upgrades.

So I assume the 100 upgrades are well under way and everyone who wants it has either done it already or is on a waiting list with a date when their P90DL will be upgraded?????

someone who took the time to email Tesla and ask them reported that they said: "Upgrades are currently in progress and we will continue to work through the interest list. In the weeks ahead, the Vehicle Accessories team will be reaching out to you "

Suggests that some upgrades have been done, and Tesla "Vehicle Accessories is scheduling dates. But I don't think I've heard of one here. Any reports on the facebook, tesla.com or reddit forums?

Reactions: Tech_Guy
I happened to be talking with my local store about other things and asked where they were with 90->100 upgrades. Answer was from Service through Sales so I do not have exact wording but roughly Yes / $30k / trade-in a better move. I got the impression that I could place an order now, but no sense of how long it would take and we did not pursue that line of thought.

I do not have exact wording but roughly Yes / $30k / trade-in a better move

Thanks for the update - but did you buy a Ludicrous-enabled car in the critical window of time that relates to Elon's promise?

Just to reiterate, we're talking about the promise to those of us who ordered a P90DL before the P100D announcement, but took delivery afterwards. Elon promised us the option to upgrade for $10,000. There was also talk of a $20,000 upgrade for people who had already taken delivery (see press release here: New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World).

My suspicion is that Tesla are hoping we'll all just buy new cars and not bother them to keep their promise! But I, for one, intend to hold them to their word. Just wanted to hear if anyone, anywhere, has actually had an upgrade scheduled.

Reactions: smac and xborg
Honestly I don’t think those who answered had the specifics of my particular car, which happens to be P90D; L was available for $10k and at the time I understood that to be a software-only feature since all early X’s were hardware ready. The $30k makes sense then for $20+$10. But don’t take this as real intel since I was not actually exploring and pursuing this option.

Thanks for the update - but did you buy a Ludicrous-enabled car in the critical window of time that relates to Elon's promise?

Just to reiterate, we're talking about the promise to those of us who ordered a P90DL before the P100D announcement, but took delivery afterwards. Elon promised us the option to upgrade for $10,000. There was also talk of a $20,000 upgrade for people who had already taken delivery (see press release here: New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World).

My suspicion is that Tesla are hoping we'll all just buy new cars and not bother them to keep their promise! But I, for one, intend to hold them to their word. Just wanted to hear if anyone, anywhere, has actually had an upgrade scheduled.
What did Tesla say when you asked them about it?

My suspicion is that Tesla are hoping we'll all just buy new cars and not bother them to keep their promise! But I, for one, intend to hold them to their word.
How exactly are you going to hold them to their word? Unless they voluntarily upgrade you, there is nothing you can do other than sue, which will run you more than a trade-in and an upgrade, plus will likely take many months if not years. So, $50K of lawyer fees and 3 years later you will get a 100 battery upgrade for a bargain price of $20K. People in the US could sue for 691hp and probably win, but it's just not worth the hassle.

PS> On a bright side, Tesla did just uncork older 75D's, something they were not at all obligated to do (yes, I get why it's good for them to do it to differentiate the S/X vs 3, but still no legal obligation). I also just saw a thread here where a 2014 85 got a 90 battery as part of warranty replacement, so sometimes Tesla chaos does can benefit the customer. I honestly believe that them screwing customers on things was not intentional but rather caused by organization chaos and Elon's unchecked hyping of best possible case scenarios as fact (I bet he honestly thought his engineers would deliver 691hp in a P85D, it's just that he was wrong and to fully compensate people who paid for it would cost Tesla too much, so ignoring them is a legal strategy. I bet he has selective hearing too, so even if anyone told him 691hp was the ideal theoretical max, he heard "691 is what we are going to deliver"). It's still wrong, and possibly negligent, but not intentionally malicious, IMO.

Reactions: yak-55
The problem is, many of us have already e-mailed them and received vague (at best) replies. A typical response is that no one knows anything, no one has a time scale, or that no one has even heard about this.

As I noted earlier in this topic, I spoke directly with the Tesla director for Europe - way back in April - and was given a timescale of Q3 2017. Well, we're almost into Q4, and nothing has happened. That's why I'm so keen to actually hear whether ANYONE, anywhere, has actually received the battery upgrade. I'd also be interested to know whether Tesla are going to provide any sort of goodwill for keeping us waiting for the best part of a year.
Have you had any joy??