Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australia government supports for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I'm not complaining really either. EV's (starting with the Teslas) had to stand or fall on their own terms as cars, the others will do the same I'm sure. Heartened by the obvious evidence that they are being purchased because they are great cars, not just EV's, and people are prepared to pay a premium for them (albeit offset by lower running costs going forward, and they are actually pretty good value against the cars in their market segment)

Actually Queensland has a very low stamp duty for EVs and currently provides many free DC (50kw) chargers.
The purchasing cost in SA is $13 less than in QLD for a base model s. So although you may have low stamp duty, the government are making it up with something else, possibly rego. What we should all be doing is buying in canberra then re-registering. Thousands less for Canberrans.

The purchasing cost in SA is $13 less than in QLD for a base model s. So although you may have low stamp duty, the government are making it up with something else, possibly rego. What we should all be doing is buying in canberra then re-registering. Thousands less for Canberrans.
Trouble is, you need a valid Canberra address. I looked into that 4 years ago when I purchased.

If you re-register in another state (based on a first registration in the ACT if you are legally allowed to do that), don't you have to pay the stamp duty on a used vehicle registration in the new state so the Gov't gets the extra $$$ anyway so whats the point

If you re-register in another state (based on a first registration in the ACT if you are legally allowed to do that), don't you have to pay the stamp duty on a used vehicle registration in the new state so the Gov't gets the extra $$$ anyway so whats the point
In SA stamp duty applies on sale to a purchaser. It doesn’t apply when transferring your car from another state. Not sure about other states.

And there will be even less support from the current opposition. After all, they are going to need huge sums to fund their reckless money splurges.
I’m not aware of any reckless money splurges promised by the opposition, but they have announced 3 significant policies which will improve the budget position: (1) end negative gearing for established properties (2) end cash rebate for otherwise exhausted franking credits and (3) reducing the capital gains tax discount upon the sale of an investment property. All of which are extremely responsible budget savings measures. In fact I wish these went further but it’s better than nothing. I’ll do a search for ALP polices towards EVs, but it’s aboslutely clear they are far more aggressive on polices for the adoption of renewable energy (50% renewable generatation by 2030) so that should also be applauded. Whereas the COALition want more coal.

I’m not aware of any reckless money splurges promised by the opposition, but they have announced 3 significant policies which will improve the budget position: (1) end negative gearing for established properties (2) end cash rebate for otherwise exhausted franking credits and (3) reducing the capital gains tax discount upon the sale of an investment property. All of which are extremely responsible budget savings measures. In fact I wish these went further but it’s better than nothing. I’ll do a search for ALP polices towards EVs, but it’s aboslutely clear they are far more aggressive on polices for the adoption of renewable energy (50% renewable generatation by 2030) so that should also be applauded. Whereas the COALition want more coal.
Not the site for a political debate, but history in the future will show these policies to have trashed the wealth of Australia, just like their last brain fades.
Enough of the coal rubbish too thanks. Its just another mediscare.
Bring on more renewables.

My defence is “I didn’t start it” and I did weave in EV policy/renewables to keep it vaguely on topic.

The rest of your response is masterful, because it’s totally ambiguous as to which party you support! Well done.

Is something going on in Autstralia? Not much inventory compared to other countries, but almost double from last year!

Tesla Inventory Stats

upload_2019-1-16_9-59-57.png

At the risk of being even more political, I guess it depends on what you feel is more important: tinkering round the edges of policies that may or may not effect a few rich people, of doing something basic about energy and climate change. I'll nail my colours to the mast and say that I reckon the latter trumps the former hands down.

At the risk of being even more political, I guess it depends on what you feel is more important: tinkering round the edges of policies that may or may not effect a few rich people, of doing something basic about energy and climate change. I'll nail my colours to the mast and say that I reckon the latter trumps the former hands down.
Tinkering is a waste of time, especially when its targetting those with moderate wealth. They generally have the ability to pay for a workaround, often to greater personal benefit. The negative gearing removal is a case in point. Rents will skyrocket because investors will depart the market. Renters will suffer enormously. The investors wont suffer, they will simply take their cash and equity to a different investment class auch as commercial property, where they can make a really decent return and pay no tax.

Energy and climate change is something both major parties should agree on, thereby removing it from politics and creating a decent long term strategy that will benefit australia and the planet.

My defence is “I didn’t start it” and I did weave in EV policy/renewables to keep it vaguely on topic.

The rest of your response is masterful, because it’s totally ambiguous as to which party you support! Well done.
why does one have to support a party? I dont support holden or ford either. It’s interesting when you don’t align yourself, it gives stronger clarity around the reality of their performance, ideas, and lies.

Reactions: Vegas
The negative gearing removal is a case in point. Rents will skyrocket because investors will depart the market. Renters will suffer enormously.
The problem with this theory is that it’s wrong and disproven by current evidence. Investors are already leaving the market due to tighter prudential standards, and yet simultaneously rents are falling in the major capital cities. It takes only one counter example to disprove a theorem. And renters are more likely to become home buyers if “investors... depart the market” and hence be better off, as evidenced by a significant increase in the past 3 months in the proportion of first home buyers. As more renters become home buyers, it creates less demand for rental properties and landlords drop rents to retain occupancy (which is what we are now seeing) which helps those who still need to rent. Great result all round and amazing how many people ignore that effect.

The investors wont suffer, they will simply take their cash and equity to a different investment class auch as commercial property, where they can make a really decent return and pay no tax.
So investors won’t be harmed one bit and the hysterical commentary over this is wrong? Great, glad we cleared that up! I agree, I’m more than happy for investors to take their money and put it anywhere they think they get a good return. I call total bluff on their “threats”.

Energy and climate change is something both major parties should agree on, thereby removing it from politics and creating a decent long term strategy that will benefit australia and the planet.
Indeed, but when the Government benches are occupied by science deniers and some people who believe fossil fuels should now be subsidised even more than they already are because they are now losing the techological race, there is unfortunately little chance of that. The only remaining option is a change of government to someone who will do something meaningful about these issues and let the deniers become irrelevant.

• Disagree
Reactions: paulp
So investors won’t be harmed one bit and the hysterical commentary over this is wrong? Great, glad we cleared that up! I agree, I’m more than happy for investors to take their money and put it anywhere they think they get a good return. I call total bluff on their “threats”.

Indeed, but when the Government benches are occupied by science deniers and some people who believe fossil fuels should now be subsidised even more than they already are because they are now losing the techological race, there is unfortunately little chance of that. The only remaining option is a change of government to someone who will do something meaningful about these issues and let the deniers become irrelevant.
Exactly who is making these "threats"? Hmmmm.
and where are you going to get "someone who will do something meaningful about these issues"?
get real...

I bought a TESLA because it is electric and electricity is made in Australia. I don’t like being forced to support my enemies. So, yes, for me, the TESLA is a political statement.
To vostok, history shows the current opposition always taxes and spends on stuff that does NOT advance Australia fair, leaving massive deficits which others have to clean up, Only for them to do it again next time they get back in. Those who forget history are bound to repeat the mistakes of the past. I don’t believe in reducing everyone down to the lowest common denominator. That is what the opposition actually stands for, Specific “policies” are irrelevant.
That is the end of my political rant.
I will not be responding further (I am sure to the relief of many)!