Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree and find it curious that people still consider resale value as a key metric when buying cars, or anything.

Psychologically they are planning for the day they get rid of the item rather than enjoying it while they own it.

If the car gets insured for more than it’s worth when it’s sold (because the owner looked after it and kept it longer), then that’s on the insurers who will make their money over that period anyway.

I suspect the ideology of “cars losing their value on resale” is a clever car sales technique (buy a Toyota) which has been drummed into us.
For me anyway, the experience of owning a car is just that, the experience now, I can’t control the future and im not worried about its value in the future. Life’s too short.

Exactly, no matter what car you buy, the minute you drive it off the lot, it's lost 10% of it's "value", 20-30% in the first year is a general rule of thumb with ANY car.

The next 5-10 years are going to be fairly fluid with battery prices falling dramatically and the end of widespread ICE coming closer and closer.

I consider it crazy to purchase an ICE vehicle today, but as the obvious fact that ICE vehicles are on borrowed time starts to dawn on more and more people, the demand for used ICE is going to plummet (also helped by the falling EV prices and people starting to finally understand cost of ownership).

Tesla owners have a massive advantage over other vehicles in that the 2019 models are still VERY relevant today thanks to the tech and OTA updates. In all of my previous vehicles, after 2 or 3 years they start to 'feel old' (by design as that's part of the legacy auto strategy). Going from a 2019 Model 3 even to the new "Highland" Model 3 is not that much of a jump. The 2019 has kept up to date thanks to the tech and updates and honestly when you are driving them, apart from the quieter cabin and better suspension, there really isn't THAT much difference and this is an 'extreme' example in Tesla as these refreshes don't happen that often.

The point of the above is that Tesla is a completely different paradigm, yes you will have slightly higher depreciation (people going on about it act like no other car depreciates), the average Tesla driver is going to keep their vehicle longer than others as it's still very much relevant MUCH longer, also given Tesla enjoys the highest 'rebuy' rates in the industry, the Tesla driver is likely buying another Tesla and therefore also enjoying a saving due to the same reduced prices that provided the added depreciation.

It's really just another FUD piece that gets spread around, yes it's partially true, but when you consider all of the factors, even before including the massive amounts you save on fuel and maintenance in the time you own the vehicle, it's a nothingburger that gets over exaggerated by the anti-EV/Tesla crowd and unfortunately some Tesla owners who don't think it through completely, thereby helping to amplify the FUD.

Last edited:
Exactly, no matter what car you buy, the minute you drive it off the lot, it's lost 10% of it's "value", 20-30% in the first year is a general rule of thumb with ANY car.

The next 5-10 years are going to be fairly fluid with battery prices falling dramatically and the end of widespread ICE coming closer and closer.

I consider it crazy to purchase an ICE vehicle today, but as the obvious fact that ICE vehicles are on borrowed time starts to dawn on more and more people, the demand for used ICE is going to plummet (also helped by the falling EV prices and people starting to finally understand cost of ownership).

Tesla owners have a massive advantage over other vehicles in that the 2019 models are still VERY relevant today thanks to the tech and OTA updates. In all of my previous vehicles, after 2 or 3 years they start to 'feel old' (by design as that's part of the legacy auto strategy). Going from a 2019 Model 3 even to the new "Highland" Model 3 is not that much of a jump. The 2019 has kept up to date thanks to the tech and updates and honestly when you are driving them, apart from the quieter cabin and better suspension, there really isn't THAT much difference and this is an 'extreme' example in Tesla as these refreshes don't happen that often.

The point of the above is that Tesla is a completely different paradigm, yes you will have slightly higher depreciation (people going on about it act like no other car depreciates), the average Tesla driver is going to keep their vehicle longer than others as it's still very much relevant MUCH longer, also given Tesla enjoys the highest 'rebuy' rates in the industry, the Tesla driver is likely buying another Tesla and therefore also enjoying a saving due to the same reduced prices that provided the added depreciation.

It's really just another FUD piece that gets spread around, yes it's partially true, but when you consider all of the factors, even before including the massive amounts you save on fuel and maintenance in the time you own the vehicle, it's a nothingburger that gets over exaggerated by the anti-EV/Tesla crowd and unfortunately some Tesla owners who don't think it through completely, thereby helping to amplify the FUD.
The other thing to keep in mind is that one of the tricks used by car dealerships is to offer a higher trade in price to make the customer feel better and absorb the difference in the inflated price of the new vehicle. This is why the first question before they talk prices is always whether you are trading in or not.

Tesla don't operate this way, their pricing is much more transparent, they don't have a sticker price that you have to negotiate down to a real price or just over pay if you are not comfortable in such negotiations, so their trade in offers are always going to be lower than you can get privately.

Reactions: dronus
Update, they tried to rebook my car in with motor one. I told them no, I want a full credit. Then they referred me to tint a car in Holden Hill to check it. I have also uploaded all the videos to a one drive cloud storage and sent to motor one HO. Right now they are trying to negotiate something with tint a car. I was very lucky I have no idea how the cameras took videos for the whole time car was at motor one, but I am glad it happened
Really disappointing that they would be so half-arsed to coat over such obvious road crud when 15 seconds, a couple of squirts of surface prep and a wipe with a microfibre cloth would have had it ready. I can understand why you don’t have any confidence in them correcting it - it appears that their staff there do not have the required care.

Tint-a-Car is a MotorOne owned brand so they keeping it inside of MotorOne. I suspect that they are franchises though so it might be work looking at the reviews of various Tint-a-Car locations and /or having a chat with the manager before committing.

Obsoletion, obviously, but you keep your sour grapes.
Mate I’ve owned plenty of cars, I literally I have no idea what old excels have to do anything. I’m well aware how the car market works
I agree and find it curious that people still consider resale value as a key metric when buying cars, or anything.
Well life changes, sometimes you need to sell or sometimes you just want to sell. Of course resale is a factor?

Anyone buying a new Tesla should definitely keep it in mind

Reactions: Brando_o and dronus
how am I anti-ev/tesla lol, take the blinkers off for a sec and just be balanced.

All im saying is the depreciation is high, so if you’re buying a new one you should at least have it in mind
I never said you were.

Also have no blinkers on thank you very much. I've acknowledged there is some level of truth and the obvious factors that go into that while putting it into perspective with a little dose of reality.

Last edited:
NVL done payment yesterday to Tesla and Tesla acknowledged the payment received. Also spoke to Tesla representative he confirmed we will get the excess what we paid back to us from Tesla after delivery including $400 booking fees...

Vehicle registration form keeps coming in App.....do we need to sign again, we have done 2 times already.....

how am I anti-ev/tesla lol, take the blinkers off for a sec and just be balanced.

All im saying is the depreciation is high, so if you’re buying a new one you should at least have it in mind
I look at it this way. A model 3 rwd will cost you circa $70k. Like for like in power, handling, features I would consider a BMW 330m which starts at $105k. Beemer does average 8l/100kms. So say 10k a year would cost you $1680 for 98 grade at $2.10 litre. The model 3 would cost averaging 30c per kw would cost you $600 for a year. So over 5 years bmw would cost $8400 in fuel, model 3 $3000. A 5 year old BMW 330m is going for $44000 on car sales. A model 3 is selling for $42000. Although thus is not an exhaustive dive into what people are actually getting for their cars advertised it just acts as a general guide. The beener has lost 58% in value and cost you(not including the substantial yearly servicing costs).an additional $5400 in fuel. The model 3 has lost 40% in value based on today's new car price and 48% based on how much that car sold new back in 2019. Now, why would I compare the tesla to a BMW. Because feature for feature, handling, ride, power it's very like for like. You can't compare it to a camry, my brother has a company car camry, they just dont drive the same. Let's do the comparison anyway. A 2024 SL Camry will cost you $66000, a 2019 sl camry is selling for $39000. So it will cost you $1500 in fuel amd resale loss of 41%. So Camry does come out slightly ahead, but once you add service costs, a.d the fact you would probably be paying 8c a kw for electricity 60% of the time. It gets close. Personally I would never consider a camry. I always wear a balaclava when I get into my brothers car. Ok I am sure I am going to get a lot of controversy from my calcs, but so be it.

Really disappointing that they would be so half-arsed to coat over such obvious road crud when 15 seconds, a couple of squirts of surface prep and a wipe with a microfibre cloth would have had it ready. I can understand why you don’t have any confidence in them correcting it - it appears that their staff there do not have the required care.

Tint-a-Car is a MotorOne owned brand so they keeping it inside of MotorOne. I suspect that they are franchises though so it might be work looking at the reviews of various Tint-a-Car locations and /or having a chat with the manager before committing.
Well the latest from my NL, they are going to credit the cost and I can take it somewhere else. So I am happy that they stepped in. So lucky my cam was recording the whole event.

IMG_2656.jpeg

Night charging.

tomorrow is vehicle pick up, NVI paid and tesla acknowledged payment received 2 days before. We havent received any sms or mail on further steps....is it normal......
I think you'll be fine since Tesla have already ackowledged that payment has been received. Mine is being settled today for delivery on Wednesday next week. App shows check on delivery date for further instructions.

Reactions: Gavarse
I think you'll be fine since Tesla have already ackowledged that payment has been received. Mine is being settled today for delivery on Wednesday next week. App shows check on delivery date for further instructions.
i am just worried on registration part, as we have signed and sent 2 copies with 2 different phone number and still registration form in showing in app and tesla representative not responded for this query in sms....

i am just worried on registration part, as we have signed and sent 2 copies with 2 different phone number and still registration form in showing in app and tesla representative not responded for this query in sms....
I did the same and spoke to the store manager at Tesla Mulgrave last time I sent the form as it picked up wrong detalils on my reg form. He advised that they have processes in place to triple check everything and if anything is missing they'll get in touch to ensure there is no issues. Having said that, i think it'll be good to give them a call if they are not responding to the messages just in case they are in Friday mood already.

Reactions: Gavarse