Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPark + Smart Summon Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Autopark - what is the most reliable method to get autopark to activate for perpendicular parking? I picked up my Model 3 about 2.5 years ago, and to this day the only time it has ever activated for me has been when I supercharged at the dealer a few days after picking it up (was directly between two other charging cars as I recall). I have found that as long as I go slowly enough, parallel parking pretty reliably activates autopark and works well, but not perpendicular. Does it work head-in? Only backing in? Do you need to approach from a certain direction? etc
  • Smart Summon - haven't tried it since the initial releases; has anyone used recently and if so, noticed any improvements with recent software updates? It wasn't very useful honestly if there is any surrounding traffic when I first tried it out (had to run over and rescue it most times)

• Autopark - what is the most reliable method to get autopark to activate for perpendicular parking? I picked up my Model 3 about 2.5 years ago, and to this day the only time it has ever activated for me has been when I supercharged at the dealer a few days after picking it up (was directly between two other charging cars as I recall). I have found that as long as I go slowly enough, parallel parking pretty reliably activates autopark and works well, but not perpendicular. Does it work head-in? Only backing in? Do you need to approach from a certain direction? etc
  • Smart Summon - haven't tried it since the initial releases; has anyone used recently and if so, noticed any improvements with recent software updates? It wasn't very useful honestly if there is any surrounding traffic when I first tried it out (had to run over and rescue it most times)
That video would have made a hilarious meme

I used it last weekend and it wasn't much improved. The problem is that it can actually be doing OK, and would eventually get where it's supposed to go, but from far away you can't see clearly enough to be sure it's safe, so you end up releasing the button.

If you want to put it through its paces in a complex environment without so much stress, use it while sitting in the driver's seat! Kinda fun watching it frantically turning the wheel this way and that as it makes its way through the parking lot. It actually does surprisingly well sometimes.

Auto-Park (perpendicular and parallel) work at low speeds per the manual, like less than 10mph and probably best at less than 5mph. For perpendicular, you need to be driving decently close to the cars in the aisle that you want to park with. It has to be between two cars or it won’t work. It also lines up between the cars, not the lines. It only backs in, you can pull in since you’re driving right? Usually you have to drive somewhat past the spot then the P shows up. I recommend watching a YouTube video.

Parallel works just fine for me but both are too slow for what they are. I can back in and parallel faster than the car can. For me the auto-park isn’t work the money yet. Now when it can go find it’s own spot... that’s worth the money and the come back to pick me up, yup that too.

Summon consistently fails first try for me. But it will work. I like to “walk the car” when people ask about it. Not worth $6K though but maybe someday

I find it more fussy for perpendicular parking, but it will work if you drive slowly, keep close enough (but not too close) to the parked cars, and remember that it can only park between two already parked cars. And you have to overshoot the parking spot (it will back in).

For smart summon, its helpful in quiet parking lots when its pouring with rain (I shop late at night so this happens more often for me than others I suspect).

I was teaching my son how to parallel park the other day and wanted to show him how well the Tesla did this automatically. I found a few spots, but only got the auto park feature to enable one time out of four. I went slowly past to the open stop and couldn't get the auto park feature to enable. Not sure what I might have been doing wrong.

I was teaching my son how to parallel park the other day and wanted to show him how well the Tesla did this automatically. I found a few spots, but only got the auto park feature to enable one time out of four. I went slowly past to the open stop and couldn't get the auto park feature to enable. Not sure what I might have been doing wrong.
AutoPark is now older/legacy software, especially by Tesla standards. Likely will get a FULL rewrite when Reverse Summon is released or for sure when the full AP rewrite is released by years end.