Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just told by Tesla that if I have no VIN, the delivery date is meaningless.

So I guess I really won’t be driving one on Saturday. Really sucks.

I’ve seen people in here saying they want to cancel their orders after this experience, and I didn’t understand why they would say that. I do now.

This feels like working with the most unreliable, uncommunicative partner in a group project.

I was in Tesla’s corner pretty much without question until today.

It’s like, they don’t have to try very hard to make this entire process *so much easier* on buyers.

I’m one of the lucky ones who’s paying cash and I don’t need a car until I take delivery.

But some people are selling cars in anticipation of their delivery date only to have it rescheduled at the eleventh hour. That is reckless on Tesla’s part at best, and makes me seriously question their strategic decision making ability.

Not a previous owner.
Reserved 12/2016
Configured 6/28 for LR/AWD/black interior/black exterior
Updated config 7/28 to OBM exterior and added AEP
I was contacted 9/6 to schedule delivery 9/25-10/2. I scheduled for 9/25 at the Bellevue location.
Submitted my self eval for trade-in on 9/10, and they responded with an offer on 9/13.
9/20 VIN became visible, 90xxx

The trade in offer is fairly low, but I accepted it. I'm listing the old car privately this week to see if I can do much better. We have an extra vehicle, so I won't be in too bad of shape if I sell the car and then my delivery ends up getting delayed.

Reactions: neroden
7 days to go until delivery. Still no VIN. How many people are seeing their end of Q3 deliveries pushed?

Res: 07/10/2018
Config: 07/12/2018
Delivery Date: 09/27/2018
Config: White Ext | Black Int | LR | AWD | PUP | 19" Wheels | EAP

Yep. Exactly 7 days before delivery the Tesla account updated with the VIN!

VIN = 92XXX

The order agreement is still the generic one though.

...and I’m back to the endless waiting game, but now with a loan rate that hopefully won’t expire before the car comes. I got the email Monday to schedule delivery for late next week. STOKED doesn’t begin to describe my reaction. I replied instantly, but then only heard crickets. A follow up reply and more crickets. I finally made the 40 mile drive to the local SC and got a direct phone number of someone local to call. He called me back based on my message and was very nice and polite. He pulled my account and started by saying they actually had an open design change to make my seats white that wasn’t executed from back in July and was about to try and make that happen to get me a match. I bet that would have got me a car, but I stopped him. Anyways, I hadn’t completed that change back in July because no one contacted me back and I no longer want white interior, so I had him confirm my complete config verbally. I told him wheels could be either style and still he found no match, so he noted all this in my file and I’m back to waiting. He gave me his personal cell and told me to watch my account and give him a call back in 1-2 weeks if I don’t hear anything before then. I really appreciate his call, he handled it very professionally.

Unfortunately, it just further confirms the lack of logistical organization going on at Tesla. My car config has been within 1/2 mile of my delivery location 14 times for someone with a late or no reservation...based on @Troy spreadsheet alone which only represents 2% of AWD orders. So likely the real number is closer to 700 cars!!!

And people wonder why I don’t play the lottery or gamble at all.

Last edited:
It should be noted that for every one “successful delivery” post, there are five “welp, I just got rescheduled” posts.

Q3 delivery numbers ain’t gonna look good.
And for every "welp, I just got rescheduled” post, how many hundreds of deliveries go off without a hitch and you never hear about it?

And for every "welp, I just got rescheduled” post, how many hundreds of deliveries go off without a hitch and you never hear about it?
These forums are just a small % of total deliveries for sure, but what makes you think it is skewed toward us with issues on getting our cars. That’s as big an assumption as what you are claiming. Forums are not the same thing as reviews on Amazon.

I was scheduled to take delivery this morning and was notified yesterday afternoon that they had to "take me off the schedule" because my car wasn't even in production yet. I was told that someone "may" reach out to me after a few weeks to re-schedule a new delivery appointment. I had arranged to sell my vehicle a few days before I took delivery so now I'm stuck without a car for who knows how long. I understand a delay for whatever reason.... but to be completely removed from the schedule with no other info other than "you may hear from someone in a few weeks" is absurd! I've been an avid Tesla fan for years and have referred 3 friends (who ordered after and already took delivery). The car is unbelievable.... but even that at some point will not overcome the absolute horrible service they have! Simple communication goes a long ways. Oh, and why the hell can't a multi-billion dollar publicly traded company figure out how to put together a production and delivery schedule?? Thanks for letting me vent! ;)

Happened to us as well. We had a date set (no time set) when on 8/30 we got an email saying basically the same thing--informed by production team that our vehicle will not be available during the initial timeline that was previously discussed. The moment it is readily available again they'll reach out. Ours date was a few days out, not next day. I will say in our case in less than a week we were contacted with another range of dates. That was on 9/6 and we were offered delivery option of Sun. 9/23 - Sun. 9/30. and immediately replied and next day got a confirmed date and time. So far our IDSA has remained the same with this last arrangement and she has been pretty responsive. Hopefully this means delivery staffing is firming up.

We were going to do a trade-in but we decided to go the Carmax route and sold it last Friday so are down to one car. It looks like our Model 3 delivery is all solid now and still on for delivery this weekend. Have the VIN and told today we should bring drivers license, insurance card and a check. I've been nervous as well about when this would actually happen, and do understand what's going on over there--can't wait to see the quarterly figures, and feel pretty confident this time I'll have a car. Since you have NO car now, did you let them know this? I would, so hopefully if they find a matching car to your config you might get a sooner delivery date. The part of having no car now is really unfortunate and they should know how you've been inconvenienced due to the last minute change. That's a pretty big inconvenience in my book.

Definitely not ideal experience for some of us (suspect we are a fairly small minority since many cars are being delivered) and believe they are working to resolve the issues. Definitely a different experience than when we bought our Model S. I think they brought in people from within the company to help out with the Model 3 deliveries and some of them didn't work out well and left or were pulled off the delivery team. Also why there's no one answering emails or voicemails for example and why some of us have had multiple contacts in this delivery process until someone else steps in and goes through the orders they were working on. I do know the car will be worth it in the end. I knew deliveries were likely to be a big problem for them until they got enough infrastructure in place. I'm chalking it up to growing pains of a young company not producing at this level before. I was very happy to see the across the board All 5 Star rating by the NHTSA today. Had been wondering with Model 3 being a new design and with different materials how it would fair. Good luck on a short delivery time!

----
BTW the one thing about using Carmax, if you have access to them, that made using them as opposed to selling privately worth going that route for us, was that they did all the paperwork for the sale and transfers with DMV that need to be done. Plus we knew their check would be good and we were all done in like 1-1/2 hours I think. The quote was good for 7 days so we could have driven our car to just before our delivery date but we had a car to still use and didn't want to spend the time driving both cars back up there later to drop it off. Our own time was worth something to us in the end given the difference in amount we might have been able to get. We had a 17 year old Toyota Avalon still in good running order that I could have kept for I'm sure a number of more years but clearly showing some age. It wasn't something Carmax would sell at that age on their lot so know it will go to auction. While we would have liked a bit more from it and kind of felt it was worth more, the price we got fell in Kelly Blue Books' mid-range for the Good Category where I guess it really belonged.

Last edited:
California is quite a different situation. In our small town I have seen a good uptick in Model 3s I see driving around during the day. My husband has also noticed a large influx of new Model 3 owners registering for the company's EV program.

I understand there were cars held up in Utah at the rail lot (Salt Lake area) so maybe that factors into your area observation. Just saw an article dated 2 days ago saying that that issue was now resolved and people were now getting their cars that had been delayed for several weeks. Very possible that with whatever the hang up was there that any other cars being transported that way were then held up until it got resolved.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and tony b
When something goes wrong people look for places to complain.

Not quite. We’re all enthusiasts, which means we’re posting our status, period. It’s not at all the same as an Amazon review.

The status updates in this forum can absolutely be used as a corollary for Tesla deliveries as a whole. Plus or minus 10% maybe, but... that doesn’t really change the “tone” of what we’re seeing.

Reactions: neroden and abasile
Previous car is a leased 340xi that I'll be turning into Schomp next weekend.

The delivery center was not busy really, not what I was expecting anyway. I got there 30 minutes early and they just immediately moved into doing my delivery. They offered me some water but there were no snacks or anything out. Definitely not a party atmosphere.

They said it would be absolute pandemonium come Saturday, they wouldn't comment on how many deliveries happen that day.

It almost felt like everyone there doing the delivery was new. There was some chick wiping the car down, mine had water spots and some residue in places and she was just walking around wiping it down. The seats had a little bit of brown crud on them, they wiped that down. I pulled the aero covers off, and, I kid you not, everyone of them working there were amazed that there was a regular rim under the cover.

When I put the center caps and lug covers on they were all "noooooo wayyyyy..... yeah, seriously, that bad.
Can you review the AWD drive compared to your 340xi?

Not quite. We’re all enthusiasts, which means we’re posting our status, period. It’s not at all the same as an Amazon review.

The status updates in this forum can absolutely be used as a corollary for Tesla deliveries as a whole. Plus or minus 10% maybe, but... that doesn’t really change the “tone” of what we’re seeing.

I don't know. I'm in a Tesla group on Facebook. Since it's sort of a rite of passage there to post when you get your car, I see a lot more there with great experiences getting their cars, and only a couple people that have been pushed.

I'm supposed to take delivery on Monday, and as of right now I have no VIN and no offer for my trade in. I'm not feeling overly confident that I'll get it Monday, but I'm also pretty easy going about it.

I figure it is like a plane delay. I don't control anything about it, and I'm sure they aren't happy about having to delay anyone, so why should I get stressed about it?

Having said that, those of you who need Vins for financing and are setting up cars to sell, I totally get it.