Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Charging a cupra born on an old tesla wallbox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm after some help, I recently sold my model 3 and purchased a cupra born instead and I am now trying to charge the car with my tesla wall box and it isn't working, the car isn't recognised the charger but wallbox light is on so it's all connected etc.

I have the glass front I believe it's a gen 2. I've never connected it to WiFi and now the tesla app is saying it's only able to register a gen 3 so can't access the charger itself. if anyone could help that would be great

Not sure if your charger is the same as mine (mine is an early 'Elon signature' version), but with mine, IIRC, there's a jumper switch inside the charger that needs to be set to allow charging of non-Tesla's. It's been a while, but I think I found the info in some instructions after a bit of Googling.

Actually, I may be completely wrong on the above tbh. Anyhow, here's a link to various related manuals in case that helps:-
https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/charging/product-guides

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I,ve not done it myself but if it’s Gen 2, I believe it’s the much glossed over switch position 2 in the image and link below. You need to be careful of the ribbon cable when removing the front.

That said, on another similar thread, there is some evidence that a running change was made to the TWC and it’s use for Tesla Only (iirc referred to legacy mode) changed during the production life of the unit so ymmv.

Usual caveats about disconnect unit and electrical safety.

1715161040794.png

Upvote 0
That said, on another similar thread, there is some evidence that a running change was made to the TWC and it’s use for Tesla Only (iirc referred to legacy mode) changed during the production life of the unit so ymmv.

Here we go…

And part number specifics in latter part of

tl;dr it may not be possible depending on what TWC Gen 2 part number is.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: thax1
Upvote 0