Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, you posted a study that is scientifically rigorous and well-presented. This one I can get behind.

For those that don't want to read the whole article, here are the important numbers:
Blood group A - higher risk for COVID-19 (odds ratio-OR, 1.20; 95% confidence interval-CI 1.02~1.43, P = 0.02)
Blood group O - lower risk for COVID-19 (OR, 0.67; 95% CI 0.60~0.75, P < 0.001)

For those not versed in statistics, the OR (Odds Ratio) and P values are the key numbers her. An OR of 1.0 by definition means the two groups you are comparing are equal for the specific comparison.

So in this case, Blood group A OR = 1.20 means that individuals in Wuhan with Blood group A had a 20% higher chance of infection compared to the average. Conversely, Blood group O individuals, with an OR = 0.67, had a 23% less chance of infection.

Both are statistically significant because the P values are less than 0.05.

Interesting. I didn't have time to read the article, but I saved it. I wonder if the type O people are less likely to get infected, or are less likely to show symptoms when they are infected. The South Koreans have found quite a few people infected, but showing no symptoms.

I'm type A and it appears I had it a couple of weeks ago. My doctor concurs, though there is no way currently to test for those who had it and recovered.

never let a tragedy go without making a buck from it:

View attachment 522855

so, all your CEOs out there, don't forget. cold-eeze is the preferred med for the 0.001%'ers out there. you know who you are.

so, lets see - should I buy FSD for my car - or maybe TWO PACKAGES of this 'drug'. decisions decisions. which should I go for?

(NB: that was NOT a photoshop, its a real ad. sad to say.)

Amazon has been cracking down on people pulling these stunts. There was a guy with 18,000 bottles of hoarded hand sanitizer caught the other day that made national news. And Cold-Eze is going to do nothing against COVID-19. Those types of cold remedies are very effective on rinoviruses, but do nothing to coronaviruses.

I'm type A and it appears I had it a couple of weeks ago. My doctor concurs, though there is no way currently to test for those who had it and recovered.

This is not true. You can have an IgM / IgG blood antibody test performed (if they will order it - the kits are probably in tight supply). This will tell you if you have antibodies to the virus, which can only happen if you had an infection (since there is no vaccine).

This is not true. You can have an IgM / IgG blood antibody test performed (if they will order it - the kits are probably in tight supply). This will tell you if you have antibodies to the virus, which can only happen if you had an infection (since there is no vaccine).

My SO searched everywhere a week ago and found nothing. If there is a test kit for the antibody, it's new in the last week. Or she had a rare miss in her searching.

If you have a link to a resource I'd love to have it. My SO probably would have some priority for anti-body testing because she is in a modest risk category. She's had pneumonia a few times and she's been told the next time could kill her. She's paranoid about lung infections.

Wonder if Elon could use Tesla to start knocking out ventilators in large volume? Imagine the lives saved and the goodwill towards Tesla.

I think it was governor Cuomo who made the point that if we're going onto a war footing, maybe we should convert some factory space to making ventilators and other needed medical equipment. There are at least a few recently closed car factories that could be re-opened without a lot of rehab effort on the facility. We also have a number of factories making military equipment. Boeing halted production of the 737-MAX a few months ago, the main factory floor would not be appropriate for medical equipment, but the smaller shops that make sub-assemblies could be converted. And the workforce there are used to making equipment with very tight tolerances that is necessary for medical equipment.

Though this pandemic is moving so fast it's possible that very little new equipment could be manufactured before this was essentially over. In WW II it took close to a year to get production from converted automotive planes up to speed. Most of 1942 was fought using pre-war stocks and what could be built with existing capacity at the start of the war (pre-war military factories).

Fancy that

Researchers want to trial drug ‘cure’ for coronavirus on patients

Screenshot_20200317-211359_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200317-211700_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200317-213100_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The USA found ~1800 new cases today, growing our case count a whopping 38% in a single day. This huge jump is great news, because it shows testing is finally starting to ramp. I expect the count to grow rapidly for a while as we catch up, but all this data will paint a picture we can use to plan responses instead of all these random semi-lockdowns.
Should the US get bad enough, I wonder if we could petition Franco to devote his time to a similar project there.
Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
Wonder if Elon could use Tesla to start knocking out ventilators in large volume?
For a "common cold"?
Nobody has this in big numbers in US - otherwise we could all be using it instead of RNA tests.

COVID-19 IgM & IgG "Corona Virus" Rapid Testkit Box (x720) - Swiss Point of Care
The test results I've seen on these kits aren't great. 10-12% false positives and negatives. Maybe ok for crude first-pass screening of large asymptomatic groups.

Wonder if Elon could use Tesla to start knocking out ventilators in large volume? Imagine the lives saved and the goodwill towards Tesla.

knowing the kind of people that work there - the 'maker mentality' even if they don't consider themselves that, exactly; and given that they probably have a machine shop that even god himself would love to rent time on, I bet they could crank out some totally non-certified and un-tested but very functional and life-saving machines.

silicon valley used to be a place where the can-do attitude prevailed and fast turn-around was not a problem. most of that is gone and replaced with facebooks and twitters (sigh) - but there's still some real silicon valley left, and those kinds of individuals could create functional product very quickly.

if we could relax the 'testing standards' and whole red tape process and streamline the healthcare product to-market timeline (for emergency cases like this), yes, things could be designed and made pretty quickly.

WOULD we, though? I don't think we would, for many reasons. but we COULD. that, I'm quite sure.

My SO searched everywhere a week ago and found nothing. If there is a test kit for the antibody, it's new in the last week. Or she had a rare miss in her searching.

If you have a link to a resource I'd love to have it. My SO probably would have some priority for anti-body testing because she is in a modest risk category. She's had pneumonia a few times and she's been told the next time could kill her. She's paranoid about lung infections.

Quoting myself:
Coronavirus

You have ZERO chance of getting a doctor to prescribe one of these right now, as availability is very low. But they do exist, and have for a few weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: generalenthu
  • Helpful
Reactions: generalenthu