Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One big issue: incomplete symptom definition (wrong questions asked). Also, in very mild cases, it may be difficult to get truthful answers from infected individuals.
I've seen this go both ways. Some only ask about a few very specific symptoms like fever. Others have a list of questions so long and vague a random cross-section of uninfected people would come in at 60-70% "symptomatic". I mean, who doesn't have a headache, slight congestion, runny nose, upset stomach or scratchy throat every month or so?
I am basically convinced now that the President (or at least his advisers - he may not know the strategy, due to his busy schedule) have decided to go for herd immunity in the United States.
There is no strategy. We've settled into an equilibrium. The death rate is about half that of cardiovascular disease, a risk we could reduce but choose not to. Is it any great surprise so many choose not to reduce COVID risk, also?

At an individual level catching COVID sometime this year doesn't even double your chance of dying. Even less for many demographics -- e.g. 0.1% of young black males are murdered each year. A competent response would have been great, but we are no longer a competent nation. Trump is just a symptom, he's not the disease.

Reactions: madodel
I suspect there are lurkers hate reading this thread and messaging the mods with selected quotes from @dfwatt and @bkp_duke. I would suggest you two tone it down with the "idiot spray" so as not to upset the snowflakes.
I do think you two are valuable contributors.

So let those ascribing to Cancel Culture win?

I'll try to keep my posts in line with facts, but I will continue to call out those posting propaganda with little or no basis in fact.

I suspect there are lurkers hate reading this thread and messaging the mods with selected quotes from @dfwatt and @bkp_duke. I would suggest you two tone it down with the "idiot spray" so as not to upset the snowflakes.
I do think you two are valuable contributors.

Fair point. I wonder how much lurkers are actually Bots.

PS I Love the snowflakes reference!:cool:

Reactions: GSP
Next coronavirus peaks will 'by far' exceed the current one, expert warns

"The problem is many people aren't taking advantage of the breathing room summer provides to curb the virus' spread, opting instead to return to pre-pandemic routines, Stat News reports. "We just continue to squander every bit of opportunity we get with this epidemic to get it under control," said epidemiologist Michael Mina, an assistant professor in Harvard's T.H. Chan School of Public Health and associate medical director of clinical microbiology at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital. "The best time to squash a pandemic is when the environmental characteristics slow transmission. It's your one opportunity in the year, really, to leverage that extra assistance and get transmission under control."
Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, predicted that, without a new lockdown or barring an effective vaccine before the end of the year, winter will force people indoors and exacerbate the pandemic, which he said will see peaks "by far" exceeding the one the U.S. just experienced in recent weeks."
-----
There is that word again - winter...

4 surprising reasons scientists think asymptomatic coronavirus cases are so common

"T-Cells: T-cells, a type of white blood cell that generally provides longer-lasting immunity than antibodies, may be the key to understanding resistance....some people may have an immune response based on memory of other, less potent coronaviruses.
Vaccines: The Mayo Clinic is studying whether vaccines for other pathogens can protect against the virus, as has been proven in other situations.
Allergies: Scientists have noted children with asthma and allergies surprisingly don't seem to be at high risk of developing serious cases of COVID-19.
Masks: Masks are discussed as a preventative measure, but they may contribute to more mild infections, as well...."

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Next coronavirus peaks will 'by far' exceed the current one, expert warns

"The problem is many people aren't taking advantage of the breathing room summer provides to curb the virus' spread, opting instead to return to pre-pandemic routines, Stat News reports. "We just continue to squander every bit of opportunity we get with this epidemic to get it under control," said epidemiologist Michael Mina, an assistant professor in Harvard's T.H. Chan School of Public Health and associate medical director of clinical microbiology at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital. "The best time to squash a pandemic is when the environmental characteristics slow transmission. It's your one opportunity in the year, really, to leverage that extra assistance and get transmission under control."
Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, predicted that, without a new lockdown or barring an effective vaccine before the end of the year, winter will force people indoors and exacerbate the pandemic, which he said will see peaks "by far" exceeding the one the U.S. just experienced in recent weeks."
-----
There is that word again - winter...
What is winter? :p
I've got a season pass for Mammoth Mountain and I got an email saying they are planning on opening this coming season. I'm pretty sure that is not going to happen. :( Luckily the pass can be delayed until next season assuming they don't go bankrupt.
I'm feeling very fortunate to live somewhere where it's never cold and only rains 21 days a year.
The only optimistic scenario I can see for the US is super fast tests becoming widely available.

What is winter? :p
I've got a season pass for Mammoth Mountain and I got an email saying they are planning on opening this coming season. I'm pretty sure that is not going to happen. :( Luckily the pass can be delayed until next season assuming they don't go bankrupt.
I'm feeling very fortunate to live somewhere where it's never cold and only rains 21 days a year.
The only optimistic scenario I can see for the US is super fast tests becoming widely available.
When we lived in Vancouver there were 21 days when it didn't rain. No actual winter though. I'd think the rain would keep the viral transmission down if you spent any time outdoors.

At an individual level catching COVID sometime this year doesn't even double your chance of dying. Even less for many demographics -- e.g. 0.1% of young black males are murdered each year.

From the plots I've seen around age 30 it starts to about double the risk (the plots I've seen are on a log plot though, so this is all pretty approximate...). And given that some people have much higher chances of dying than others (as you said), and those risks are at least partially uncorrelated from the risk factors for dying from COVID, that means that for a lot of people, getting COVID more than doubles their risk of death. For some it is more than double risk (because their prior risk factors were low), while for others it is a less significant risk increase (because their other risks were already high).

It's also a tricky comparison to make, since only 10-15% of the population has actually been exposed to C19 at this point.

The problem is many people aren't taking advantage of the breathing room summer provides to curb the virus' spread, opting instead to return to pre-pandemic routines,

Yup. Instead, they're looking at the very positive results out of Arizona and other hot states, and insisting that these outbreaks are ending because they've reached 20% of the population infected. (There's a kernel of truth to this, but there is so much more to the picture that must be accounted for. Prior posts have provided that discussion.) This is a widespread belief right now (at least on Twitter...sigh...), which is clearly not based on fact. What we know about the disease and mitigation measures in fact are completely consistent with the behavior of the outbreak in those states. It does NOT mean that the outbreaks are done for good, though.

They're also looking at the "seroprevalence" (the reported % positive of serology tests - no, this is not the seroprevalence!) and saying that since that very biased sample is 15% positive, it supports their idea that 15-20% of the population has been infected. Yikes.

4 surprising reasons scientists think asymptomatic coronavirus cases are so common

"T-Cells: T-cells, a type of white blood cell that generally provides longer-lasting immunity than antibodies, may be the key to understanding resistance....some people may have an immune response based on memory of other, less potent coronaviruses.
Vaccines: The Mayo Clinic is studying whether vaccines for other pathogens can protect against the virus, as has been proven in other situations.
Allergies: Scientists have noted children with asthma and allergies surprisingly don't seem to be at high risk of developing serious cases of COVID-19.
Masks: Masks are discussed as a preventative measure, but they may contribute to more mild infections, as well...."

allergies: I don't know about the biological side of this after infection but as a sufferer of allergies I can see how this is affected by physically blocking the inhalation of the virus. If I'm not wearing a mask and I go have a dental xray no matter the time of year the congestion I normally have is visible even when I think I am breathing normally and don't feel congested. Pre covid I had to sneeze and or blow my nose several times a day and the solids in my nose often reduced my sense of smell simply by coating/blocking. Post covid I saw my allergy symptoms reduced greatly by wearing a mask.

So my contention is that allergy sufferers are self selected to either be

* A. reduced airflow/covered mucus membranes reducing their risk naturally
* B. wearing a mask and loving it. Reducing their risk artificially

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel

Here's a great and pretty non-technical presentation of why approximately 40% of folks infected by SARS Cov2 to might be asymptomatic. Perfect for somebody looking for digestible explanation without too much jargon. Medcram lecture on asymptomatic covid19

I've seen this go both ways. Some only ask about a few very specific symptoms like fever. Others have a list of questions so long and vague a random cross-section of uninfected people would come in at 60-70% "symptomatic". I mean, who doesn't have a headache, slight congestion, runny nose, upset stomach or scratchy throat every month or so?

There is no strategy. We've settled into an equilibrium. The death rate is about half that of cardiovascular disease, a risk we could reduce but choose not to. Is it any great surprise so many choose not to reduce COVID risk, also?

At an individual level catching COVID sometime this year doesn't even double your chance of dying. Even less for many demographics -- e.g. 0.1% of young black males are murdered each year. A competent response would have been great, but we are no longer a competent nation. Trump is just a symptom, he's not the disease.

My larger concern -- from a personal and national standpoint -- is a substantial portion of the nation becoming saddled with chronic health problems, dragging down productivity, taxing the public health system, etc. In my opinion, too much of the focus has been on deaths.

Case in point, today's ESPN story on college athletes and heart conditions. Does anyone here want a 1:20 chance at heart inflammation? I'll pass, thanks.

Heart issue linked to virus drives Power 5 concern

Trump urges Americans to stop politicizing the coronavirus, blames China

Interesting new strategy from the WH. Telling people to stop politicizing it by making it R vs D, instead making it US vs China.
If only he would practice what he preached.

Doesn’t address the issues with the US response and situation at all, rather reinforcing the tactic of blaming China for our own problems.

US Stock market valuations suggest a belief the current underemployed rate (16%) won’t stick around long OR that the fed’s printing will make up for it. With school not back to full time in person sessions I don’t see how productivity and employment can return to ‘normal.’

Here in the Northeast I see most school districts aiming to start school off with a hybrid plan. Typically hybrid means somehow having fewer students in the buildings. Often that means students have both in person and remote days. I think being unable to return to school is a big deal that should have some macro impact.