Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The FWDs do not handle all use-cases today, to be sure! It's a love/hate relationship for me. I love the accessibility and the feeling I get when others see them in action - It's priceless. I hate the learning curve for my family and having to always wonder if they will or won't hit a nearby object. What's clear is that one MUST learn how to interact with these new style doors. From sequence of opening/closing with respect to front doors, to making sure you don't close them on someone head, to kids fighting over who gets to open/close their door, to being doubly aware of nearby objects! Because they can be operated from several locations at the same time, this can sometimes lead to an awkward interaction and pause with passengers as well.

Like with all new ways of doing things, it will take time to seamlessly interact with these doors. Unfortunately, I think It will be a long and painful exercise for both owners and Tesla alike, as in FoxXxy's case. How many microwave ovens were destroyed by "metal objects" before people learned proper usage and/or manufacturers addressed this use case? Microwave Ovens are still around so obviously the good outweighed the bad ..guess only time will tell if the same fate awaits the FWDs.

How many microwave ovens were destroyed by "metal objects" before people learned proper usage and/or manufacturers addressed this use case? Microwave Ovens are still around so obviously the good outweighed the bad ..guess only time will tell if the same fate awaits the FWDs.

Probabally very few.
What’s Up With That: Metal in the Microwave Explodes—Or Does It?

Have a hot pocket lately?

But it is a good idea to have warnings for an extreme case. Don't microwave flat metal near combustable material. Don't open fwd in places with odd ceilings, don't stand on the top rung of a ladder, don't pull on superman's cap, dont pull the mask off the Lone Ranger, etc

Wouldn't that have been accomplished much more easily with normal doors that simply open the opposite direction as normal? Or a sliding door like a minivan?

No, because they don't "raise the roof". Sliding doors would be the closest thing in terms of rear access.

I wish they'd have gone for power sliding doors and worked on the falcon doors to add them later.

My stomach turns when I think of what the thirty seconds surrounding that must have been like.

It is NOT WITHOUT parallel, however. Have you ever parked your regular-door auto too close to that pillar....that other car...that $#*! spiny shrub? Ever have the wind pull the door out of your hand and have it go crunch into that obstacle? Ever parked too close to that tire-blocker and chew up your front - or rear - under bumper? Ever have other drivers perform some of the above to your car?

The difference is that the FWD is operating on its on and we're trying to get accustomed to believing it knows what's what in all circumstances. The reality is that, just as we - some of whom have many decades and millions of miles' experience under our noggins - don't always get it right, there are edge conditions such as this where the FWD sensors get it wrong.

And, since I brought up that word "parallel", it sure looks to me that from every possible photo provided that the car was parked in a wacko orientation.

Reactions: adamcb and Pdub2015
No, because they don't "raise the roof". Sliding doors would be the closest thing in terms of rear access.

I wish they'd have gone for power sliding doors and worked on the falcon doors to add them later.

Still seems like an awful lot of cost and engineering to add a couple inches of access to the least-used part of the car. Even Elon admitted his mistake. Gullwing doors would have been a cool idea for their next 2 door toy sports car, but not for a family suv.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pdub2015 and Xpress
I am wondering what happens when you go to disneyland or somewhere where underground parking is the only option. You must park underneath a odd shape pillar or angular beam by theme parking rule or maybe that is the only parking space available. How you suppose to get out? hmmm... I guess we can exit from the other FWD or passenger and driver doors. What if you did not see the top beam? waaaaaa...

I guess we will learn asap when we break the door.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
@FoxXxy, I wish you the best getting this dealt with. And I hope you're not internalizing too much - it'll get fixed. To the rest of the commentary about the doors, we're obviously not getting an X without them. Elon has said the Y will have them, though I'm hopeful that was just "Elon on Twitter" and not "Tesla's reality". If I believed for a second that there was going to be a Model X built with normal-people doors, I would have waited.

I've got 2.5 more weeks before I give my one month review of the car, including the doors. Hopefully something like this doesn't happen in the meantime. And hopefully Tesla can learn from this and manage it with a software tweak.

I would be surprised that Tesla would pay for this, as they are not responsible for human negligence. Tesla did not tell you to park under the beam, Tesla did not tell you to open the passenger rear falcon door, Tesla did not tell you to park at that angle, Tesla did not build the parking garage etc etc.

Do you ask the laptop manufacture to pay for your laptop when you download a virus and need to replace the hardware? Do you ask the phone manufacture to pay for a new phone when you drop it on the ground and it breaks? I think NOT.

Your human, we all make mistakes, but since when did we expect a car company to pay for our mistakes.. This is what car insurance is for.

Just came back from Service Center in Costa Mesa, my X should be ready by today or tomorrow. The SC manager told me the reason why the door failed is because the sensor that controls the FWD distance to the ceiling is at the top of the glass on the roof. If you stand on a chair and look at the top of the roof, you will see two circular sensors. Those are the only sensors that control the height of the FWD telling the door to continue to stop. The OP has the door raised up near a angular pillar which does not trigger the sensor. The best way is to avoid any angular shaped pillar or beam that might have avoided the sensor position. Knowing where the sensors are located are very important in the Model X. So there might not going to be a software upgrade to fix, the next gen model x needs to add additional sensors to the joint to prevent this.

As a rule you have to be careful in parking garages with less eight foot clearance, which is most of them. You can get into trouble opening the rear-liftgate of non-Tesla vehicles in parking garages too (once damaged my Toyota Sienna van that way).

At least no paint damage. Glass replacement is usually not very expensive.

Appears this could have been avoided by using umbrella mode (the lower opening position). It wouldn't be hard to default the car to umbrella mode if the roof sensors pick up vertical obstructions on the way into the garage.

Last edited:
Seems like a significant oversight that Tesla wouldn't have expected parking lots to have diagonal spaces under straight beams.

Also, the analogies some are making to other damage (opening your door into a post, having the wind blow open your door into a bush, having your laptop break because you downloaded a virus) are poor examples, because in each case there was no expectation that that the car/laptop would prevent such damage, and all of that damage is manual (i.e., the owner had to physically open the door or click a link to download a virus).

But with the falcon wing doors, because they open from the inside electronically, and Elon has demonstrated many times how well the doors avoid obstacles, there's a reasonable expectation that the doors won't open into large obstacles, even when the're at an angle.

The car is definitely parked at about a 20-30 angle. That means the very front of the door was approaching the beam before the rest of the door. Software probably didn't take this unusual angle into account. I do think Tesla should pay to fix this.

Do tesla engineers not go to parking lots?

Wow. Really unusual that parking spots are not aligned with overhead beams and other oblects. Lol.

Driver responsibility to make sure doors don't hit things. Technology does not absolve that responsibility. B

As a rule you have to be careful in parking garages with less eight foot clearance, which is most of them. You can get into trouble opening the rear-liftgate of non-Tesla vehicles in parking garages too (once damaged my Toyota Sienna van that way).

The difference is that you would open the rear lift gate from outside of the car, whereas a passenger inside who just wants to get out of the car might not think to look up through the glass before opening the door; and even if a passenger saw the beam, might expect the magic Model X doors to stop as advertised!