Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion since quote "another user noticed similar orange specks on his truck after driving it through rain in Los Angeles" and there are references to someone else, presumably a third user, reporting luck in cleaning off the "rust" spots with Bar Keeper's cleaner, so it's definitely not just one person...
The OP and the person who later said they got it in the rain were the same, Raxar.

2 others had orange spots as they/Tesla/other forum members claimed it was rail dust and it wiped off either with Bar Keeper's or Clay Bar, but they were there at delivery for both.

This has more to do with the Tesla mission - they're not in this for profit - they're in it for promoting the BEV transition as quickly as possible - and the best way to do that is to make the vehicles less expensive over time - even if that means losing existing early adopter customers in the process due to steeper valuation declines.
We know Telsa's mission statement, but they are a for profit company with shareholders. Of course they are in it for profit; they have a fiduciary duty to do so.

The decline in prices for the Model X discussed earlier in the thread is relevant, but not that substantial to make a difference for the vast majority of drivers. A fully loaded Model X is still $109,500 down from the $150k stated. A base Model X with just upgraded paint is still $82,500. Not exactly affordable. I predict the Cybertruck sales numbers will be about the same volume as the Model X, which is low.

The OP and the person who later said they got it in the rain were the same, Raxar.

2 others had orange spots as they/Tesla/other forum members claimed it was rail dust and it wiped off either with Bar Keeper's or Clay Bar, but they were there at delivery for both.
I realize it's a different situation but my early Model Y, Vin# 15xxxk had a discoloration problem with the window trim. Son's MY delivered several months later had the same problem. A little WD-40 on a rag cleaned the trim right up. Turned out the main culprit were cleaning ingredients in car washes. My newer Model Y doesn't have the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
I realize it's a different situation but my early Model Y, Vin# 15xxxk had a discoloration problem with the window trim. Son's MY delivered several months later had the same problem. A little WD-40 on a rag cleaned the trim right up. Turned out the main culprit were cleaning ingredients in car washes. My newer Model Y doesn't have the problem.
22 models do of all Teslas.

I don’t see CT disrupting the truck market whatsoever. It’s just too eccentric with limited value for the money. Will not be surprised to see huge price cuts with time.

They new RAM models previewed today look like a major step forward. The interior on the current limited model blows anything Tesla has out of the water for those that expect a premium interior for 90k. I wanted to purchase one in 2019 but ended up going with Ford because Ram’s v8 was anemic. Now they’ve fixed that with the TT i6 or gas electric hybrid.

They new RAM models previewed today look like a major step forward. The interior on the current limited model blows anything Tesla has out of the water for those that expect a premium interior for 90k.

Let me speak for the market segment that puts zero value on a “premium interior”. I appreciate the stark, understated essence of the Tesla interior, and it seems especially appropriate for a truck. As long as a car or truck has comfortable seats and well thought out ergonomics, “premium interior” adds nothing of value for me. But I’ll stipulate it seems like a big deal to some.

Reactions: evo9rs and Yelobird
Let me speak for the market segment that puts zero value on a “premium interior”. I appreciate the stark, understated essence of the Tesla interior, and it seems especially appropriate for a truck. As long as a car or truck has comfortable seats and well thought out ergonomics, “premium interior” adds nothing of value for me. But I’ll stipulate it seems like a big deal to some.

At a certain price point an premium interior is expected there is now way around it.

I don’t see CT disrupting the truck market whatsoever. It’s just too eccentric with limited value for the money. Will not be surprised to see huge price cuts with time.

They new RAM models previewed today look like a major step forward. The interior on the current limited model blows anything Tesla has out of the water for those that expect a premium interior for 90k. I wanted to purchase one in 2019 but ended up going with Ford because Ram’s v8 was anemic. Now they’ve fixed that with the TT i6 or gas electric hybrid.
I'm really interested in the upcoming RAM Charger. The more I see, the more it looks like the perfect EV truck.

Another “Rusted” Delivery

Do these Delivery Centers even care to deliver a car in showroom condition?

That doesn’t look like rust - that’s likely surface contamination, which any SS is prone to as the owners manual points out with all the warnings about not allowing any contaminants such as tree sap, bugs, etc. to remain on the surface for any length of time. Barkeepers will most likely remove those marks. Welcome to owning a vehicle without a clearcoat! 😎 This is why vinyl wraps or PPF will become very common on CTs over time.

You purchase a Truck that is scratch resistant. Then you have to wrap it with vinyl that can scratch and tear because the Stainless Steel looks like Poo. You purchase the Electric Truck because it is supposed to be Environmentally friendly but you spend thousands of dollars to wrap the Truck with products made from Oil.

Yup another thing I don’t understand. All the Hype over the SS, only to wrap it, have someone key it and then you spend another $1k wrapping it again.

You purchase a Truck that is scratch resistant. Then you have to wrap it with vinyl that can scratch and tear because the Stainless Steel looks like Poo. You purchase the Electric Truck because it is supposed to be Environmentally friendly but you spend thousands of dollars to wrap the Truck with products made from Oil.
There have been multiple people that received the truck with deep scratches. 2 got it wrapped, but Tesla said they would replace the panels, but it would be a while.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
I am in full agreement with you. The issue comes in when you’re charging luxury vehicle prices and getting the equivalent of a mid to low tier interior.

I want some luxuries. Power Seats, Power Windows, Dual Climate control Memory settings for different drivers for the Seat and Mirror positions.
I think of those as “features”, not “luxuries”.

Maybe I’m stuck in the past, but “luxury” speaks to me as Ricardo Montalban hawking “Finest Corinthian Leather”. Or jeweled analog clocks. Or chrome or wood or faux carbon fiber panels or surrounds. Ostentatious for the sake of being ostentatious.

But I’ve already stipulated there’s a market for such things. My ex had a thing for Jaguars, so I’ve experienced it. Just does nothing for me and I’d rather have the money going toward features and performance rather than baubles.