Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dent repair Sydney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 10 cm dent on the bottom of a Model X boot (photo below). Tesla's body shop quoted $6,757 to repair it (some $4,811 for labour). I'm hesitant to make an insurance claim given premiums have been doubling each year and it's a $2,000 excess. Can anyone suggest a reasonable Sydney-based repair option?

photo_2024-04-26_14-01-30.jpg

Chatswood Prestige on the corner of Gibbes street and Victoria Ave East Chatswood.
It’s not far from the Chatswood Tesla Service Centre and is an approved Tesla repair centre.
I had a door ding and had to had a door hinge replaced on a different door. The paint finish is so good that I can’t tell that anything has happened in both locations, so for me the work was top quality.
You’ll see heaps of damaged and dented Teslas if you visit.

• Informative
Reactions: gazpachopolice
Its complete BS that you have to pay for insurance but are apprehensive to use it due to the reasons you have explained.
All I know is I've not made any insurance claim of any kind in over 15 years, nor had any traffic infringement in even longer, and my premium started around $2,000 when I got the Model X P100D (new in 2017) but by June 2023 NRMA wanted $5,000. So I switched to Allianz with a $2,600 excess and a $3,100 premium. I am reluctant to make a claim given even when you have a perfect record the insurance situation for this vehicle.

Anyhow I can wear $6,757 to keep insurance out of it. I am just wondering if there's a body shop around Sydney who maybe isn't charging $245 + GST per hour for labour. That's where the overwhelming majority of the cost is ($5,292 inc GST). I know a panel beater up in Hornsby who is great but he won't touch Tesla as it apparently refuses to supply him parts. It seems like anti-competition to me. Surely if you are licensed to repair cars you should be permitted to buy whatever parts you reasonably need to do so.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
Seems like an optimisation exercise to me. You could seek quotes on your insurance to test what difference a recent claim makes to the cost. If less than $4,700 (net amount saved via a claim) divided by 3 (until you get a no claim period again, or maybe 5 years?) then worth using insurance. If more, then cover it yourself.

Reactions: johnchidgey
Chatswood Prestige on the corner of Gibbes street and Victoria Ave East Chatswood.
It’s not far from the Chatswood Tesla Service Centre and is an approved Tesla repair centre.
I had a door ding and had to had a door hinge replaced on a different door. The paint finish is so good that I can’t tell that anything has happened in both locations, so for me the work was top quality.
You’ll see heaps of damaged and dented Teslas if you visit.
Had similar experience (door dent) with Chatswood Prestige, quality was good, not the cheapest though

I know a panel beater up in Hornsby who is great but he won't touch Tesla as it apparently refuses to supply him parts.
What you can do is to have a chat to your panel beater, find out what parts are required, and then log a job with Tesla service and request a quote/supply of those parts. They may not be willing, but you can only ask.

I had a windscreen shipped up to Newcastle direct from Tesla earlier this year, no questions asked (and yes, I realise a windscreen is not a body part).