Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Unpilot

Sell order in at $5999.99
Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2017
A Coast
Long time lurker here first time posting.

I am torn between two different 2016 Model S 90D
One is a CPO with 11,000 miles and has the options I want
The other is from a dealer and only has 4,500 miles.

The prices are pretty close but the problem comes from the month they were built. The CPO car is a early 2016 build before the front end refresh and it also has the 3g connectivity

The dealer car has the new front end and LTE already installed. I am trying to find out if the Dealer car has AP2.0 or not.

So here is my question is there any way to determine what AP the car has from the VIN?
The dealer is going to send me the window sticker and I should be able to determine from that I think.
I just started talking to the dealer so that is why I do not have more info.

Second question do you think the CPO car with the extra miles and old front end and slower cellular is worth the same as the newer build because of the fact it is a CPO car?

I am pretty excited and know I will be happy With either one but seek input from you fine folks.

...AP2.0...

I wouldn't worry about 3g or LTE. I can't tell the improvement that much as I had 2012 3g and now have 2017 LTE versions.

I don't know about VIN but I can only tell if I can physically spot monocular AP1 camera or tri-focal AP2 camera as part of 8 cameras.

That's the easy part, the other part is: was AP1 or AP2 paid for its features yet or you'll have to pay up later?

By calling Tesla with its VIN, it can tell you which is which (up to $10,000 for fully self driving post delivery activation fee).

It's kind of strange that 11,000 miles is pretty much the same price as 4,500 miles.

As long as the 4,500 mile car is checked out with no hidden reasons, I would take it.

Last edited:
Yeah, but my 2015 70D was bought new from the factory. First owner.

Also, this:

First LTE-Enabled Tesla Model S Delivered

Right, I've never heard of a 2016 build with 3G. My S85D (April 2015 build) missed getting LTE by a few months. (I upgraded later, but I probably wouldn't consider 3G vs. LTE to be a deciding factor between two cars.)

From pictures of the car, one be able to figure out a few things about its Autopilot hardware: AP2/AP2.5 hardware was introduced after the refresh, so any of those cars will have the "new" front-end (no nosecone). So you can deduce for sure that the CPO car you mentioned has AP1.

In addition to the 3-camera setup mentioned up-thread, you can also tell AP2/AP2.5 cars by the cameras in the triangular repeater lights just in front of the front doors and the cameras in the B-pillars between the doors (they look like elliptical smudges).

Bruce.

The data plate on the dealer car is August 2016 from what I have read the AP2 hardware was not put in until Oct so it is probably AP1
As far was warranty I would of course get the remaining factory warranty while the CPO car would get the warranty that come with CPO cars.

I guess it will come down to deciding between the lower millage and front end refresh or CPO warranty.

...warranty....

4,500 miles gives you 45,500 factory warranty which is almost 50,000 miles!

1) The thing to look for is: Is its record clean? If it was involved in a prior collision (even very minor), your car insurance may have to cover a repair that seems not to be related and Tesla may not honor warranty such as the case of:

[Urgent] Spontaneous Suspension Failure + Lack Of Tesla Support

2) Tesla won't honor warranty for a Title Brand below:

• Salvage
  • Junk
  • Totaled
  • Lemon
  • Flood
  • Reconstructed...

Last edited:
Well I went all in and bought a CPO 2017 100D
They seemed to have put a ton of cars out in the last few days and I got a little crazy and went about 20k over what I was going to spend!

Yikes!

Reactions: Tam