Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I Just Get Unlucky?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My coworker recently got a model Y - everything was great. Based on that experience, I convinced my husband to get one - and everything was great. So *I* got one - I love the car but am running into issues. Already had one service appointment, and another is scheduled 2 weeks out (which is another issue all together).

Original issues:

• Chirping noise coming from windshield - fixed at last service appointment
  • Vibrating driver's side mirror - fixed at last service appointment
  • Something sliding around in the driver's side dash HVAC vent - it's been happening less and less since I got the car, but they couldn't replicate it, so they didn't fix it - still happening
  • Water ingress into the trunk seal - they said it was fixed, but it's still happening
  • My Tesla driver's profile keeps resetting - they had me reset it from the app and I thought that fixed it, but the issue has come back
Current issues:

• The water ingress into the trunk - do i need to be worried about this doing damage?
  • The something sliding around in the driver's side dash HVAC vent
  • A constant loud squeaking coming from the driver's side door that goes away if you press on the inside front of the door (maybe from disassembling the door to replace the mirror?)
  • A loud whistle above 50 mph (and the black triangle the new mirror is mounted on is loose - not sure if related)
I LOVE the car, but these are making me second guess my choice. Did I just get unlucky/should I trust they'll eventually get all the issues fixed?

-Sitting water/moisture in your vehicle is not good. Can cause mold and funk. Not sure where youre claiming the exact ingress, but for 3 it was simply excessive snow that fall into the trunk that I was too lazy to fully clean out. (Basically not a car problem, but a me problem).
-Whistling is usually due to poor/misaligned seals and/or panels. You should be able to see visually where these occur.
-Minor squeaks and rattles are annoying and depending on their obviousness, sometimes its easier to try to resolve yourself (disassemble panels, reinforce contacts, etc) than to try to fight with the manufacturers on this

Hard to say whether they will eventually be able to fix all of these issues, especially squeaks/rattles/things in the dash... Especially knowing that they may have fewer service folks today than they did before Elon arrived back at HQ with his wrecking ball...

My coworker recently got a model Y - everything was great. Based on that experience, I convinced my husband to get one - and everything was great. So *I* got one - I love the car but am running into issues. Already had one service appointment, and another is scheduled 2 weeks out (which is another issue all together).

Original issues:

• Something sliding around in the driver's side dash HVAC vent - it's been happening less and less since I got the car, but they couldn't replicate it, so they didn't fix it - still happening
  • Water ingress into the trunk seal - they said it was fixed, but it's still happening
  • My Tesla driver's profile keeps resetting - they had me reset it from the app and I thought that fixed it, but the issue has come back
Current issues:

• The water ingress into the trunk - do i need to be worried about this doing damage?
  • A constant loud squeaking coming from the driver's side door that goes away if you press on the inside front of the door (maybe from disassembling the door to replace the mirror?)
  • A loud whistle above 50 mph (and the black triangle the new mirror is mounted on is loose - not sure if related)
I LOVE the car, but these are making me second guess my choice. Did I just get unlucky/should I trust they'll eventually get all the issues fixed?
Hi Lintjerk, can you share how they fix your 'Vibrating driver's side mirror' as i'm having the same issue and waiting next 3 week for service.

All the problems you listed are build quality noise problems. Personally, I would not categorize those into real warranty repair issues. Although you could ask the service to fix, it may or may not fix it. It may make it even worse. Water leak into interior is definitely a no, must redo the seal and test with spraying water.

If you want better build quality, go for a traditional manufacturer EV. Definitely better in build quality, fit and finish.

The driver side mirror vibration is known and there is no fix. I am on my second replacement unit, and it still vibrates (way less than the original but still does). Also, the whistle noise is from the side mirror triangle trim. Tesla tech most likely broke the mounting tab inside the trim, and it will make loud whistle noise when you drive more than 50 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO

Original issues:

Current issues:

Freemont or Austin built? Also, what’s the manufactured date?!!

The driver side mirror vibration is known and there is no fix. I am on my second replacement unit, and it still vibrates (way less than the original but still does). Also, the whistle noise is from the side mirror triangle trim. Tesla tech most likely broke the mounting tab inside the trim, and it will make loud whistle noise when you drive more than 50 mph.
Did they replaced whole mirror assembly or just mirror glass itself? I still can’t figure out what is wrong with the OEM driver’s side one. My brother's MYLR 23 has not have vibration at all. Mine is vibrating when listen to music with regular bass while the car stop and more while driving on free way. This kind of thing drives me nuts.

Did they replaced whole mirror assembly or just mirror glass itself? I still can’t figure out what is wrong with the OEM driver’s side one. My brother's MYLR 23 has not have vibration at all. Mine is vibrating when listen to music with regular bass while the car stop and more while driving on free way. This kind of thing drives me nuts.
They replaced the entire assembly including the arm that attaches to the door.

These are build quality issues. Tesla's QA is very poor. So yes, you are just unlucky. Keep taking it back for service until they either fix everything or it triggers the lemon law in your state. Read up on your state's requirements and document everything. Hopefully they either do finally fix everything or they have to buy the car back.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
No you are not unlucky. Thats a Tesla for you. Great tech and battery/range and look good too. But poor build quality and customer service. You will get used to these pesky issues (they don't go away).
LOL! That's odd. I just tool delivery of my 2024 MY-LR/AWD and it's perfect.
I'll have to totally disagree with your, jaded opinion. :p
PXL_20240407_001956475.jpg

Reactions: MSLR2023ULTRED
Many Toyota owners disagree.

Has Toyota quality slipped?
GatorMeat explicitly stated "Lexus/Toyota built in Japan". The thread you linked is North American owners complaining about North American manufactured vehicles. It only reinforces the point he was making. Quality vehicles come from Japan. Unfortunately, the Japanese send few cars over here now. Walk through the local Honda/Toyota dealerships. You'll find very few, if any, J VINs.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
All the problems you listed are build quality noise problems. Personally, I would not categorize those into real warranty repair issues.
Of course they are "real" warranty repair issues. When sold as new and functioning normally, they're not supposed to have such problems. Someone needs to fix them to make them go away, preferably for free, under warranty.

I haven't had issues like that w/any of the cars (none are Tesla) I've bought or leased new spanning over 20 years, it's been mostly Japanese brand, 1 Korean and 1 American brand. Even the used 2 year old Japanese car I bought (was a lease return) didn't have any of that.

Not sure I must be the lucky 1. My MYP has 17,000 miles and is perfect. None of these issues. Go figure.