Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course, but please read the thread. I was responding to @mongo’s socket adapter idea.
socket = outlet. Same thing. (At least that is how I read it.)

Tesla uses the outlet nomenclature:

1704227441255.png

Reactions: Jones1 and mongo
But I agreed @MP3Mike, power sockets on the Powershare mobile connector has nothing to with grid tie house backup, though you could use it like a portable generator (though the main 14-50 would be better)
I see, you were talking about putting a receptacle at the end of a bidirectional Mobile Connector. I assumed that by socket you meant a NEMA 14-30 locking connection or similar.

What is the benefit of these receptacles on a bidirectional mobile connector when you could plug in a normal power strip extension cord into the bed outlets?

I see, you were talking about putting a receptacle at the end of a bidirectional Mobile Connector. I assumed that by socket you meant a NEMA 14-30 locking connection or similar.

What is the benefit of these receptacles on a bidirectional mobile connector when you could plug in a normal power strip extension cord into the bed outlets?
The UMC can give you another 240V connection.
It *might* also do multiple 120s, but not 120 and 240 at the same time since NACS lacks a neutral pin. And 120 on MC might impact the vehicle outlets.
One could add an autotransformer to the UMC output, if they really needed more 120...

Additionally, I think it increases total power available since the 14-50 is limited to 40A (9.6kW) but the truck's charger can do 50A (11.5kW).

Additionally, I think it increases total power available since the 14-50 is limited to 40A (9.6kW) but the truck's charger can do 50A (11.5kW).
Unless they put something bigger than 14-50 on that mobile connector it should still be max 9.6 kW continuous (40A). Momentary max is naturally 50 A since it comes from the same source as the truck's charger, but limited by the NEMA 14-50 trip.

Last edited:
As
Are you sure Powershare works while charging? It would be very unlike Tesla to have two parts where one would do.

Powershare not having neutral is a NACS connector limitation, not necessarily an OBC limitation.

My guess is that the inverter and OBC are one component.

If I'm interpreting Kyle's tweet below correctly, the system works as I suspected: the outlets do NOT work while charging, since the truck is using the same bi-directional OBC for charging and outlets.

As

If I'm interpreting Kyle's tweet below correctly, the system works as I suspected: the outlets do NOT work while charging, since the truck is using the same bi-directional OBC for charging and outlets.

However I would be surprised if all the truck AC outlet were dead when running AC out the NACS in Powershare mode... certainly they can be up and pooled for the DC-AC max wattage limit?

Will the Highland refreshed Model 3 have PowerShare? I would think that Tesla would standardize going forward. A LFP standard range Model 3 is way less than a bunch of Powerwalls.

In Puerto Rico, my power goes out at least once a week. Sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for 5 hours.

Will the Highland refreshed Model 3 have PowerShare? I would think that Tesla would standardize going forward. A LFP standard range Model 3 is way less than a bunch of Powerwalls.
Highly doubtful. The PCS with Powershare capabilities is the new 2.0 version that is 48v based. Model 3, even the Highland variant, is still 16v based, so likely still uses PCS 1.x that does not support Powershare.

Highly doubtful. The PCS with Powershare capabilities is the new 2.0 version that is 48v based. Model 3, even the Highland variant, is still 16v based, so likely still uses PCS 1.x that does not support Powershare.
I doubt it also, but the 48V part of the PCS is a separate block. They could copy Cybertruck's charger module and carry over the 16V converter, or adjust the new ones to 16V. Of course, they wouldn't need 800V compatibility.
Cybertruck's planer inductors could be a cost savings. Also, active switching could be more efficient than the diodes previously used.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit