Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Version 3 Wall Connector works with Powershare and any version of Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is my understanding the older V3 Wall Connector works with Powershare if you have any version of Powerwall? If you do NOT have a Powerwall, you will need the newer Universal Wall Connector and the new V3 Gateway? Does anyone know exactly what the internal electrical differences are between the two Wall Connector versions as it relates to delivering power from the Cybertruck to the home?

Regards, Ron

It is my understanding the older V3 Wall Connector works with Powershare if you have any version of Powerwall? If you do NOT have a Powerwall, you will need the newer Universal Wall Connector and the new V3 Gateway? Does anyone know exactly what the internal electrical differences are between the two Wall Connector versions as it relates to delivering power from the Cybertruck to the home?

Regards, Ron
The Powershare version of the UMC connects to the Powershare version of the Gateway to allow it to wake up from a full power off state (grid down, no Cybertruck previously connected)

Regards, Ron
1. It is my understanding the older V3 Wall Connector works with Powershare if you have any version of Powerwall?

Yes.

For Customers with Powerwall​

If your home is equipped with Powerwall and home charging, you do not require any additional equipment. Powershare Home Backup functionality with Powerwall is expected to be available later this year through an over-the-air update. All AC Powerwall variants will be compatible with Powershare Home Backup in the future.

The home charging unit can be any product,

but we strongly recommend it’s connected to a 240V circuit. Our preferred solution is the Wall Connectoror Universal Wall Connector. Any generation of Wall Connector is compatible with Home Backup if using Powerwall. The home charging system must be backed up by the Powerwall system to enable Home Backup.

2. If you do NOT have a Powerwall, you will need the newer Universal Wall Connector and the new V3 Gateway?

Yes.

For Customers without Powerwall​

For homes not equipped with Powerwall, a Universal Wall Connector and Powershare Gateway will be required to use Powershare Home Backup.

3. Does anyone know exactly what the internal electrical differences are between the two Wall Connector versions as it relates to delivering power from the Cybertruck to the home?

I don’t know exactly but the universal Wall Connector can enable bi-directional charging.

Universal Wall Connector​

Universal Wall Connector enables bi-directional charging, allowing Cybertruck to either charge or power the home when plugged in.

Source: https://www.tesla.com/support/powershare

Reactions: rrolsbe
I still don't get how all of this is going to work with Powerwall 3s.

You don't log into the gateway at all. You log into one of the PW3 units instead, so you can't even set Powershare up in the app. (when you click to "install new product")

I had my solar/powerwall installed in Nov. Powerwall 3s, and Tesla Gateway 2.

I still don't get how all of this is going to work with Powerwall 3s.

You don't log into the gateway at all. You log into one of the PW3 units instead, so you can't even set Powershare up in the app. (when you click to "install new product")

I had my solar/powerwall installed in Nov. Powerwall 3s, and Tesla Gateway 2.
In that situation, Cybertruck acts like a additional solar inverter that is only active off grid. Communication can be WiFi just like PW-WC is now for power reporting.

In that situation, Cybertruck acts like a additional solar inverter that is only active off grid. Communication can be WiFi just like PW-WC is now for power reporting.
It's confirmed that it would only backup when the grid is down?

I was hoping I would be able to use it in addition to the Powerwalls to avoid having to pull from the grid at all. I can do it fine on sunny days, but on consecutive cloudy or rainy days, I'm pulling from the grid at night.

I was hoping I would be able to use it in addition to the Powerwalls to avoid having to pull from the grid at all. I can do it fine on sunny days, but on consecutive cloudy or rainy days, I'm pulling from the grid at night.
Just push the "Go Off Grid" button for the Powerwalls, then the CT can contribute energy from its battery.

The most important thing is that the Wall Connector has to be on the backup side of the Powerwall Gateway. In my home's system, the EV charging circuits are in the main panel and not backed up. I would have to change that in order to use this kind of scheme.

Do you really want to subject the battery in your expensive CT to extra cycling on a regular basis? I'd rather add another Powerwall.

Yeah, Lars said V2H, not V2G. Avoids a lot of regulation/ certification.

Just push the "Go Off Grid" button for the Powerwalls, then the CT can contribute energy from its battery.

The most important thing is that the Wall Connector has to be on the backup side of the Powerwall Gateway. In my home's system, the EV charging circuits are in the main panel and not backed up. I would have to change that in order to use this kind of scheme.
That didn't do anything, just stayed off the grid but it didn't trigger the CT to initiate Powershare.

CT 2024.14.6

Do you really want to subject the battery in your expensive CT to extra cycling on a regular basis? I'd rather add another Powerwall.
Sure - I work from home, so the few times a month I need the CT to step in when my powerwalls are drained are well worth it. It also allows me to possibly go off free nights (that's when I charge the powerwalls and Y + CT) and back to Tesla Electric, since I can now sustain myself off grid much easier (assuming I eventually can use the CT batteries combined with my powerwalls).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
That didn't do anything, just stayed off the grid but it didn't trigger the CT to initiate Powershare.

CT 2024.14.6
Do you have the right set-up to use Powershare Home Backup?

From Tesla Support:
What system configurations and software versions are required for Powershare Home Backup?
Powershare Home Backup functionality is available for system configurations that do not have a backed up solar system, Backup Switch or Powerwall setup. To use Powershare Home Backup, you need:
  • Cybertruck with software version 2024.14.3 or later
  • Wall Connector with software version 24.12.51 or later
  • Powershare Gateway with software version 23.44.906 or later
  • Tesla app version 4.32.6 or later
Powershare Home Backup functionality is expected to be available for additional system configurations later this year through an over-the-air update.

Edit: NVM, looks Powershare Home Backup is not yet supported for those with PW, like your set-up

For Customers with Powerwall​

If your home is equipped with Powerwall and home charging, you do not require any additional equipment.
Powershare Home Backup functionality with Powerwall is expected to be available later this year through an over-the-air update.
All AC Powerwall variants will be compatible with Powershare Home Backup in the future.

Edit: NVM, looks Powershare Home Backup is not yet supported for those with PW, like your set-up
That's what I was seeing, just thrown off seeing a screenshot of it working for another user (different thread). Thought I was missing something.. It appears it does work but only for those with new Powershare installations with the specific Powershare gateway.

Reactions: RoBoRaT