Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you "just live with" the front windshield ghosting?

Model S: Front windshield ghosting?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
106451283.jpg

easy fix

• Funny
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
This is so exciting!!! I'm so happy for you! Can you post some pics of light sources that used to ghost but no longer do? Photo of the new emblem on the glass? Still Sekurit? Which model did you have again? I wonder if their optical design or manufacturing processes haven't been improved in the past year.. if I DM you my address, will you "not" drive by and throw a rock through my windshield? 😅

Every time people ask what do I think about my Tesla, I say it's awesome in almost every way except the windshield which is ridiculously regressive. I wonder if I could get a reevaluation or reconsideration from my local shop for a warranty replacement. Looks like the part number you linked above is for Model s though, that one did exhibit a little less ghosting in the plaid I observed in my previous post.

Finally, some hope!!

🎵(he) can see clearly now, the ghost is gone 🎶

Edit: ah, MS. damn, there's still no evidence that a supposed process improvement has carried over to the Model 3 yet..
  • I have a 2016 MS 90D.
  • I don't have any pictures since they never really turn out that well to show the ghosting but that is probably because most modern cell phone cameras have polarized lenses and that help remove the affect. It is easily noticeable on LED tail lights and old-school neon signs when it was happening
  • Below is the pictures of the glass model numbers before and after. Everything looks the same except the part number (and the heating elements in the glass):
1662993291938.png

Model 3 part catalog, maybe you have an older revision of windshield?
1662993477160.png

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
  • I have a 2016 MS 90D.
  • I don't have any pictures since they never really turn out that well to show the ghosting but that is probably because most modern cell phone cameras have polarized lenses and that help remove the affect. It is easily noticeable on LED tail lights and old-school neon signs when it was happening
  • Below is the pictures of the glass model numbers before and after. Everything looks the same except the part number (and the heating elements in the glass):
View attachment 851656

Model 3 part catalog, maybe you have an older revision of windshield?
View attachment 851658
Approaching 50,000 mi on our 2021 model 3 LR and warranty expiration, filed another service request complaining about the ghosting on the windshield and this time got a sympathetic representative who set me up. Everything covered under warranty and.... No change. Same exact ghosting but now I need to clean the inside glass of dust and smudges again. Sad...

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I've been following this thread for years - same problem.
I wouldn't say mine is "ghosting" in the same sense as some posts. As I posted before, my 2020 S front screen is as if it has a light coating of dew, or more accurately everything I see through it seems to be through a mist. Into sun it's very noticeable - wife says it's dangerous but I have got used to it after the SC said it was "within specs" - just by looking at it.
The difference between looking out through the front screen and a side window is dramatic - the latter is clear as day when the car is turned so that both views of the same view are identical.
Really, really shoddy manufacture.

Reactions: aisid
I've been following this thread for years - same problem.
I wouldn't say mine is "ghosting" in the same sense as some posts. As I posted before, my 2020 S front screen is as if it has a light coating of dew, or more accurately everything I see through it seems to be through a mist. Into sun it's very noticeable - wife says it's dangerous but I have got used to it after the SC said it was "within specs" - just by looking at it.
The difference between looking out through the front screen and a side window is dramatic - the latter is clear as day when the car is turned so that both views of the same view are identical.
Really, really shoddy manufacture.
Sorry to hear that, it truly is a shame. You could always take a chance on a warranty replacement and a different service advisor like I did or sadly just pay the 1K plus for a replacement and hope it's resolved. In my experience in the display model s's the windshield has still had a bit of ghosting but not nearly as much as the model 3 and I don't recall any haziness. But I haven't had one and driving it thousands of miles. The service advisor told me proudly that they use the same windshield manufacturer as Porsche, which honestly makes me want sit in somebody's Porsche one of these days and check whether they have the same issue.