Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP on window sticker but I didn’t pay for it, it worked initially and then didn’t

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
please let us know what your resolution with Tesla ends up being . .

I 100% agree with the summary from huangm777

we know Tesla blows when it comes to customer service, so i would not hold my breath waiting for them to do the right thing from the customer service good will pov. (ie: making a deal to sell you AP at a discount)

I sent an email and left a message for the delivery manager to request the AP1 for $2k. I was promised that he would be in touch. As you may imagine he does not enjoy conversations with me all that much and has not been great about picking up the phone with my number showing or responding to emails.

I will definitely keep you guys in the loop.

The only thing I can't get over is that I literally do not have a simple form of cruise control. I guess if that were available I might just say screw it, I will drive myself like I always have. But not even basic cruise control? Come on! So the only way to get that back is in the AP1 package and I have no other choice but to cough up the cash. Again, this is part of their back and forth with options and features and all the changes they have made. Is there any car, even at the lowest price point you can buy in the US without cruise control?
You should definitely have Cruise Control. I have an SR with no AP, but I do have basic, dumb cruise control. If you really don't have it, you should schedule a service call for it.

You should definitely have Cruise Control. I have an SR with no AP, but I do have basic, dumb cruise control. If you really don't have it, you should schedule a service call for it.

I have said that, too. The answer from the lady on the support hotline was that cruise control wasn't a feature unless you purchased AP1 with the vehicle. I have been driving with a sore heel for almost 3 months now.

I have said that, too. The answer from the lady on the support hotline was that cruise control wasn't a feature unless you purchased AP1 with the vehicle. I have been driving with a sore heel for almost 3 months now.

FYI: AP1 is used to identify the first MobileEye based system.
Thread on basic cruise:
Basic cruise control question.
Oh so helpful current version of the manual
Note: If your vehicle is not equipped with an optional Autopilot package, refer to the owner's manual on your vehicle's touchscreen for instructions on how to use Cruise Control.

Having now read a lot of articles about the “Monroney sticker”. I am convinced that this is not a cut and dry issue.

Whether people agree with me or not, we are the buyers and have certain protections from Federal and State law.

Tesla has rights too. BUT, the Monroney sticker is an actual description of the car and options. It was invented (among other things) to clarify what precisely you were buying. Since cars have increasingly become more complicated - it is the benchmark for determining what standard and optional features comes with the car.

The buyer is supposed to be able to look at the Monroney sticker glued to a car on the lot - and know precisely what he is getting, paying for, or getting as “standard.” Now Tesla works buy a different sales process - but that does not mean that the more conventional Federal safeguards don’t apply.

I think this is where everyone finds disagreement (for or against) what the OP is saying. With a “conventional” car sale - you are supposed to differentiate what car has what items and at what costs - by the Monroney sticker. Any discrepancies should be resolved in the final purchase contract. This makes for both sides being happy! Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and was left unresolved for 9 months - a long time!

In many cases with Tesla, the Monroney sticker is often irrelevant in the purchase - at least in practice - as you order the car, pay for it and the contract (MVPA?) is what you go on. The purchase agreement may prevail. I doubt most people can really guess on that one!

This is even further complicated by the fact that when the OP bought the car - the options and standard equipment were changing. If you were buying a car in stock from a couple of months before, it could be totally different than what you picked up on a fresh order and build. There must have been some disconnect with what the Vin number of the car described, and what the Monroney sticker described. This just adds to the ambiguity.

Whoever wrote up the OP’s sale blew it. Tesla needs to have purchase agreements conform to Federal purchase laws. I’m sure lots of people here have purchase agreements that do not match what is said on their Monroney stickers. It’s a problem that Tesla needs to get a handle on. Overworked delivery associates don’t help.

So Tesla blew it by being sloppy, but that doesn’t put the OP in a position of advantage. I suspect that Tesla has encountered contradictions like this before and has/is cleaning up their act.

This is one big mess, and while I’m sure there is a legal remedy, it would be foolish for either party to go there. I certainly wouldn’t want to be someone making the final decision on this. I’ve seen instances of conflicting legal documents in other legal issues - and dealing with them is like walking in quicksand.

This would be most easily fixed by a compromise. Since Tesla just “shut-off” FSD with no warning to the owner, it blew up to what it is here. Shutting things off like that is no way to resolve a problem. What a difference a simple phone call could have made!

Reactions: vickh and FM1988
The buyer is supposed to be able to look at the Monroney sticker glued to a car on the lot - and know precisely what he is getting, paying for, or getting as “standard.”

Tesla frequently doesn't even deliver the car with the sticker on the window.

Which is required by federal law (only the actual buyer is legally allowed to remove it), and every violation (per car) subject to a $1000 federal fine.

Indeed when I took delivery (end of Q3 2018) there were at least 50+ waiting-on-customer-to-pick-up new Teslas around, and this was at an overflow lot so lots more at the main one, and NONE of them had their Monroney attached.

Nobody appears to care or enforce this though.

I suspect the document you will be held to is your MVPA, which was your contract. There are some regulations regarding Moroney stickers, but I am not sure how they would play here.

This is not that uncommon of a situation with Tesla, normally they catch up eventually and remove the software. Biggest example was all the folks who bought SRs but were delivered SR+ until Tesla could update their cars.

I am one of those. Car display still says SR+ but everything else is SR. I didn't get a "free trial" like OP either

Having now read a lot of articles about the “Monroney sticker”. I am convinced that this is not a cut and dry issue.

Whether people agree with me or not, we are the buyers and have certain protections from Federal and State law.

Tesla has rights too. BUT, the Monroney sticker is an actual description of the car and options. It was invented (among other things) to clarify what precisely you were buying. Since cars have increasingly become more complicated - it is the benchmark for determining what standard and optional features comes with the car.

The buyer is supposed to be able to look at the Monroney sticker glued to a car on the lot - and know precisely what he is getting, paying for, or getting as “standard.” Now Tesla works buy a different sales process - but that does not mean that the more conventional Federal safeguards don’t apply.

I think this is where everyone finds disagreement (for or against) what the OP is saying. With a “conventional” car sale - you are supposed to differentiate what car has what items and at what costs - by the Monroney sticker. Any discrepancies should be resolved in the final purchase contract. This makes for both sides being happy! Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and was left unresolved for 9 months - a long time!

In many cases with Tesla, the Monroney sticker is often irrelevant in the purchase - at least in practice - as you order the car, pay for it and the contract (MVPA?) is what you go on. The purchase agreement may prevail. I doubt most people can really guess on that one!

This is even further complicated by the fact that when the OP bought the car - the options and standard equipment were changing. If you were buying a car in stock from a couple of months before, it could be totally different than what you picked up on a fresh order and build. There must have been some disconnect with what the Vin number of the car described, and what the Monroney sticker described. This just adds to the ambiguity.

Whoever wrote up the OP’s sale blew it. Tesla needs to have purchase agreements conform to Federal purchase laws. I’m sure lots of people here have purchase agreements that do not match what is said on their Monroney stickers. It’s a problem that Tesla needs to get a handle on. Overworked delivery associates don’t help.

So Tesla blew it by being sloppy, but that doesn’t put the OP in a position of advantage. I suspect that Tesla has encountered contradictions like this before and has/is cleaning up their act.

This is one big mess, and while I’m sure there is a legal remedy, it would be foolish for either party to go there. I certainly wouldn’t want to be someone making the final decision on this. I’ve seen instances of conflicting legal documents in other legal issues - and dealing with them is like walking in quicksand.

This would be most easily fixed by a compromise. Since Tesla just “shut-off” FSD with no warning to the owner, it blew up to what it is here. Shutting things off like that is no way to resolve a problem. What a difference a simple phone call could have made!

the other tricky part is these laws were made prior to the substantial software options on the Tesla. They could argue that the AP hardware is included as the sticker says but activating is a service fee.

Which is required by federal law (only the actual buyer is legally allowed to remove it), and every violation (per car) subject to a $1000 federal fine.

Indeed when I took delivery (end of Q3 2018) there were at least 50+ waiting-on-customer-to-pick-up new Teslas around, and this was at an overflow lot so lots more at the main one, and NONE of them had their Monroney attached.

I didn't get mine till months after, and had to talk to several people before getting mine

Who would enforce this fine? It reminds me of the mattress sticker rule. apparently mattress manufacturers were stuffing all kinds of things in until the label was enforced.

Any discrepancies should be resolved in the final purchase contract. This makes for both sides being happy! Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and was left unresolved for 9 months - a long time!
Gonna disagree with you there. Tesla didn't de-content the vehicle for a long time, but both parties knew the options sold. The only party that is unhappy is the one that can no longer use the feature they didn't pay for.

OK, now to the interesting part. When I bought the Model 3 LR AWD I wasn't prepared to pay for the autopilot and at that time it wasn't a standard feature. The car ended up being around $60k with the blue color option.

I paid less than what is on the sticker because I did not order the enhanced auto pilot.

A lot of people are on here defending Tesla for what is obviously their mistake by saying it wasn’t listed on the order. There’s a lot of things that aren’t listed on my order that are on the window sticker. I guess nobody on here will complain when Tesla reduces your car to 50 miles of range with an over the air update. Doesn’t say on your order that you paid for any more range than that.

A lot of people are on here defending Tesla for what is obviously their mistake by saying it wasn’t listed on the order. There’s a lot of things that aren’t listed on my order that are on the window sticker. I guess nobody on here will complain when Tesla reduces your car to 50 miles of range with an over the air update. Doesn’t say on your order that you paid for any more range than that.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Tesla sold OP a car that left the factory with EAP enabled (on the sticker) as a non-EAP vehicle at a lower price. They later turned off the EAP which the OP knowingly did not pay for and did not want to pay for.

When I bought the Model 3 LR AWD I wasn't prepared to pay for the autopilot and at that time it wasn't a standard feature. The car ended up being around $60k with the blue color option.

I paid less than what is on the sticker because I did not order the enhanced auto pilot.

As to your range hypothetical: Others have bought SR+ as SR and had the range removed.

I am one of those. Car display still says SR+ but everything else is SR.

How many miles of range can you get on yours? Some people who got the SR downgrade reported range being reduced by over 30 miles vs. the 20 stated by Tesla. Don't know if that was ever readjusted.

Alex on Autos mentioned these early SR/SR+ cars in a video starting at the 3:29 mark and specifically mentions the Monroney sticker around 3:47

Tesla hands out all models with the Monroney stickers either in the Frunk or the Trunk. And no, it's not against federal law. They have to provide the sticker to you, there's no law mandating that it be on the window. Why? You ask? Because Tesla doesn't have dealers, and the locations you're picking your car up from aren't dealerships. US Code for dealerships window sticker placement doesn't apply. Simply put. Tesla isn't going to get fined a billion dollars for not attaching stickers. You can relax.

Hope this doesn't happen to me, not exactly the same situation though. I purchased the 3k autopilot in Mar 2019. Car came with EAP and I still have it. Crossing my fingers that the EAP portion doesn't disappear one of these days.
I also got a free upgrade from RWD to AWD so maybe the upgrade included EAP upgrade. Who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.