Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I cringed when I saw the tweets. But this level of whine.... You guys are on another level.

Just think that if you weren't so outraged, it wouldn't have been a news story. Literally everybody on the planet wouldn't know "the victim" was called a pedo, because no one would care. But your outrage feeds the mob.

You really should only speak for yourself. You don't know what others take seriously or not.

When I look at Vern (and the first time I saw him was after Elon made his comment) -- I can't help myself but see in him what Elon Musk described him as. So then I wonder if it's true. He is in Thailand -- but an elderly white man in Thailand makes him a ...? That's absurd. Then again...

That's what goes through my mind, and I'm sure a lot of people minds. You can tell us it would give you 5 minutes of fame, a "ribbing", and then roll of your back since no one would take it seriously -- but if it happened to you, you'd feel worse than if a truck ran over you. A lot worse. You wouldn't even know what hit you. Trust me on that one. I know you won't admit it here -- but I write for others who read my posts since we must not allow a pass for this as you are telling us. I couldn't disagree more with that point of view.

At the same time, I can't stand most of the fake outrage we hear about these days -- I'm will Bill Maher on that -- but this is not one of those times, at least in my view.

And this is coming from a huge Musk supporter -- but I have my limits.

Let’s not lose sight of who fired the first shot.

However, both did a terrible job of “slamming” one another.

Vern shouldn’t of said anything and Musk’s Twitter account needs a moderator to approve posts.

Sensibility goes both ways. If you are saying don’t project my security on others, then you shouldn’t project others insecurities on me.

Twitter war vs Musk or anyone I don’t fear.
I totally believe in my trash talking ability. Plenty of posts in Snippiness and on a few ignored lost from those who toss heat bit handle heat in return.

I don’t have a particular reason to defend Musk. I just know he has a lot of haters who root for his failure like a rival sports team so they are like sharks when they smell blood.

I’d be interested to see who gets more engagement: Musk or the Kardashian’s?

Who is more meaningful... but why does Musk get even 1 percent of the hate which he doesn’t - it’s like the same.

If I was his friend I’d tell him to just say sorry, for what he said, keep things business for awhile and get back to stuff that actually matters.

I never defended what Musk said, just the reaction to his reaction is not proportional to the infraction.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Let’s not lose sight of who fired the first shot.

I never lost of sight of that but it just wasn't enough for me to earn what is about the worst thing you can say about someone. I was hoping Elon had proof -- that's about the only justification for it for me. But yes, I hear you, he's human and it's not the end of the world.

What Trump did today was... ;)

Reactions: cdub and MXWing
When I look at Vern (and the first time I saw him was after Elon made his comment) -- I can't help myself but see in him what Elon Musk described him as. So then I wonder if it's true. He is in Thailand -- but an elderly white man in Thailand makes him a ...? That's absurd. Then again...

Huh, well thanks to your post, I'll now concider all white men in Thailand as ... good luck with the class action lawsuit.
Only mildly sarcastic...

(Side note, I did once learn a stereotype due to an article trying to counter it. The Druish Princess line from Spaceballs was much funnier after that)

Also implies it was a fake rescue, when multiple divers and personnel were involved in the rescue. With this tweet, he not only insulted the "dude" who insulted him, he ridiculed the whole rescue effort and the team that worked on this mission.

Could be a fake rescue. Before Elon's sub was in the mix, I recall the narrative as being that it could take months to get the boys out. But as soon as Elon's sub actually made it over there, the boys were out within days.

When I look at Vern (and the first time I saw him was after Elon made his comment) -- I can't help myself but see in him what Elon Musk described him as.

I already thought of Vern in that way, didn't need Musk to double down for me. How else could he sniff out a bunch of young boys 2 miles deep in a cave? Coincidence? All Elon is doing is perpetuating a stereotype.

the reaction to his reaction is not proportional to the infraction.
Also worth noting that inaction toward the infraction, regardless of the retraction, can be a distraction to the fraction of the faction who desire its protraction; and that's an interaction which creates a subtraction of satisfaction.

Could be a fake rescue. Before Elon's sub was in the mix, I recall the narrative as being that it could take months to get the boys out. But as soon as Elon's sub actually made it over there, the boys were out within days.

I already thought of Vern in that way, didn't need Musk to double down for me. How else could he sniff out a bunch of young boys 2 miles deep in a cave? Coincidence? All Elon is doing is perpetuating a stereotype.

What? You really know nothing of the rescue do you? You should go read up on it and the roles of the people involved (including others besides Vern) before making comments that make yourself look like a misinformed idiot.

And I should add, something that many people here didn't seem to realize: Vern wasn't even actively attacking Elon when Elon started off ranting on twitter. Vern made the comment to CNN, not on Twitter, and then some time later Elon lost it and fired off a series of tweets attacking the guy. And then doubled down on his statement when someone else questioned. Elon really should have just taken a step back and cooled down.

and the media outlets are now convienently skipping and not mentioning a word of Vern's, 'up your ass' trigger comment.

So if you read the Washington Post or CNN video you will see his observation that the Sub could not handle the curves and then nothing else.

Personally if I were one of those Thai boys, I would have been thankful to both Vern and Musk. Vern for his his diving expertise and the genuine belief Musk wanted to help. Edge goes to Vern due to Mars mission not being as relevant being cold AF right here underground on Earth. I don't believe in participation trophies but they were both winners that showed poor sportsmanship after the game was over.

Musk was crazy to engage in a fight he couldn't possibly win but not sure where Vern's bitterness and personal axe to grind came from. It's like Vern was a loaded spring ready to go once the camera was on.

We all know who Musk is.

Now we know who Vern is.

Now we know what to think about people who

Think it is a big deal

Think it is not a big deal.

:)

What? You really know nothing of the rescue do you? You should go read up on it and the roles of the people involved (including others besides Vern) before making comments that make yourself look like a misinformed idiot.

And I should add, something that many people here didn't seem to realize: Vern wasn't even actively attacking Elon when Elon started off ranting on twitter. Vern made the comment to CNN, not on Twitter, and then some time later Elon lost it and fired off a series of tweets attacking the guy. And then doubled down on his statement when someone else questioned. Elon really should have just taken a step back and cooled down.

You see 'selective segment's. You have no idea what transpired before. It could have been totally ad lib. Or someone already prepared to make a statement. Some of the stuff doesn't jive like "He was quickly asked to leave!"

I mean.. thats a scene you would use to describe a grieving family not wanting to see the person that killed their kid in a DUI not Musk wanting to be helpful.

Last edited:
Yeah I rarely have disagreed with Bonnie, but I have to this time. Whether or not people have been unfair to Musk (I think obviously many quarters have, with sometimes great vehemence), he has a responsibility to stay above it, and it's never been clear to me his "fight back" attitude on twitter or anywhere else has been effective.

Ah, so different set of rules for different people. Got it. Hypocrisy at its best.

Unless Musk does have solid information on this man (which would raise the question why he is collecting information on people) it certainly does look as if Vern is in a very good position to lodge a libel action against Musk in an English court (which are very much geared towards the plaintiff in such cases).

For me the situation does look as if he barged his way into a situation where he has no previous expertise. This "rescue pod" also doesn't warrant all these bombastic claims about the world's best engineers working on a solution. Stuff like that has certainly been used previously in mining accidents, yet there they can be hoisted through straight, drilled shafts.

• Disagree
Reactions: MauryDann and mongo
Unless Musk does have solid information on this man (which would raise the question why he is collecting information on people) it certainly does look as if Vern is in a very good position to lodge a libel action against Musk in an English court (which are very much geared towards the plaintiff in such cases).

For me the situation does look as if he barged his way into a situation where he has no previous expertise. This "rescue pod" also doesn't warrant all these bombastic claims about the world's best engineers working on a solution. Stuff like that has certainly been used previously in mining accidents, yet there they can be hoisted through straight, drilled shafts.

Musk got hurt/offended/annoyed and decided to call someone names because he has the emotional maturity of a young adult while saddled with burdens practically no other adult can relate.
No great mystery to solve.

Glad he didn’t barged his way into rockets and electric cars with no previous expertise either!

I think Musk is knighted before he is sued in English court.

...... while saddled with burdens practically no other adult can relate.

Glad he didn’t barged his way into rockets and electric cars with no previous expertise either!

"saddled with burdens" Just give me a break. The worst thing that can happen if Musk fails to deliver is that a company folds. Don't try to sell him as if he were shouldering huge tasks of saving mankind.
As to the rescue mission, it isn't the place for "Musk time" with bold claims and delivery years afterwards.

"saddled with burdens" Just give me a break. The worst thing that can happen if Musk fails to deliver is that a company folds. Don't try to sell him as if he were shouldering huge tasks of saving mankind.
As to the rescue mission, it isn't the place for "Musk time" with bold claims and delivery years afterwards.

Do you run a company that employs people?

Most of the population does not take on the risks and implications of doing so. Musk only scales that by a factor of a 1000. Credit is absolutely due even if you hate the man for whatever reason.

I’m well aware of Musks faults. Wondering if he is overly optimistic on timelines is wondering if the Pope is Catholic. Not much of a surprise.

Reactions: ChrML
Musk got hurt/offended/annoyed and decided to call someone names because he has the emotional maturity of a young adult while saddled with burdens practically no other adult can relate.

Such a naive point of view. There are a lot of people depending on Tesla to survive. 300,000 customers. A bunch of employees.

For me the situation does look as if he barged his way into a situation where he has no previous expertise. This "rescue pod" also doesn't warrant all these bombastic claims about the world's best engineers working on a solution.

Then I suggest looking at the real information for yourself.
He did not barge.
There was zero bombastic-ness.

Twitter
MabzMagz
@MabzMagz
Hi sir, if possible can you assist in anyway to get the 12 Thailand boys and their coach out of the cave. @elonmusk
4:57 PM · Jul 3, 2018

@elonmusk
Jul 4
Replying to @MabzMagz
I suspect that the Thai govt has this under control, but I’m happy to help if there is a way to do so

@MabzMagz
Jul 4
Thank you @elonmusk. That is really all I ask. that you follow the updates on the situation and perhaps you may come up with something. Some of us can only pray, but you can do more. We know you are not Ironman (...right?). Cheers

@elonmusk
Jul 5
Boring Co has advanced ground penetrating radar & is pretty good at digging holes. Don’t know if pump rate is limited by electric power or pumps are too smal. If so, could dropship fully charged Powerpacks and pumps.

@MabzMag
Jul 6
I woke up to this sad news today. Our condolences to Saman's family who is a true hero in my books. I know that the Thailand authorities are doing everything in their power to save the boys and coach.
Last tweet included for time reference.

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
Status
Not open for further replies.