Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That page doesn’t talk about bias thru Bots.

So the self serving "selection bias" argument goes something like this:

The Left says, 'I won't pay for the blue check. Why should I pay Elon-the-fraud any money?' The same Left turns around and says, 'the blue checks are dominated by the Right, so the polls are skewed. So Twitter polls are worthless.'

Twitter polls were always worthless before, due to bots. Now the anti-Musk crowd is worried this new method might actually make it meaningful, and they might get exposed on major social issues. So they are working on several angles to make Twitter irrelevant.

Modus operandi is:

- Musk-the-fraud has made Twitter a place for racists, hate speech, enables violence, anti-Semitic, verification failure.. yada yada
- so I will not pay him any money and give that platform any legitimacy. Also $8 will break my family and make me poor.
- because I am not represented well enough, any polls will be biased.
- because it will be biased, Twitter polls (and as an extension Twitter itself) are irrelevant.

I am not participating because the platform is biased. Because I am not there, the platform is biased. :rolleyes:

The polls are pointless. Elon has made up his mind before he posts a poll. If it doesn't go his way he'll make up some excuse. Remember that poll where he was supposed to step down? How's that going?

So basically what do we get for $8 exactly? Polls are worthless. The only thing it verifies is that you've paid them $8 that month.

Seems to me that we're getting to a place where having that blue check is a little embarrassing. I can think of much better ways to flaunt my incredible wealth of $8 a month. I can go nuts at the thrift store. I can buy a mansion in Afghanistan. In 5 years I can probably buy Twitter.

News is like anything - you get what you pay for.

If it is free - you are the product. And receiving biased data paid for by oil companies etc.

7Bn people in this world - Elon is building a town square that is as fair as possible to all of them. That means communicating to and receiving. $7 is affordable to everyone in the western world even if it is just for a month or as part of a group - just a matter of priorities.

This is the common argument against anything free, but again, if you spend enough time to filter trash, you will usually get decent info and can make up your own mind after enough time/research. The whole you get what you pay for that you state is just a cop out really.

On solar installs, paying more isn't necessarily better nor is paying $8/month for a twitter blue check mark.

Paying more doesn't mean better always? Stop blindling quoting you get what you pay for as it's a god send that paying more is always better. It's idiotic.

Edit: Wanted to add everything you read on TMC is trash too since it's free? All the advice/tips/help/solutions on anything from EVs/Solar/whatever?

Twitter doesn't even generate news again so it's a pointer. If there is a news site someone likes, they can probably just go straight there.

Last edited:
How many people want others to know they had to pay money to garner attention on social media? 😞
If there’s one thing Musk knows about, it’s how to be cringy.

Leaked: A 'hide checkmark' option for shy Twitter Blue users​

Twitter Blue subscribers have been trolled since the subscription plan's launch, with memes like the popular "this mf paid for Twitter" used by the old legacy verified users and non-verified users alike.

When Musk's verification plan started rolling out, the main selling point of Twitter Blue seemed to be the verified badge, which allows paid users to digitally rub elbows with the legacy verified users. The paid Blue checkmark and the legacy checkmark are indistinguishable, unless a user tapped on the badge, which would then open a pop-up that denoted what type of verified account it was.

With mostly just Twitter Blue subscribers left with a checkmark (along with accounts associated with verified organizations(Opens in a new tab)), the verification badge will become a "kick me" sign. Those users won't look like possible "notable" individuals if most of the notable accounts are unverified. Instead, it will just be a mark that you paid Elon Musk $8 a month (or $11 per month on mobile.)

Blue check is available for everyone who can afford to drink a cup of coffee or two.
Irrelevant. I have the ability to pay for a blue check many times over, but not the willingness to do it. If Disney wants to figure out what is most likely to make park guests return, they should poll park guests (as that is their target market for the survey) but if they restrict it to annual passholders, this would make the data far less useful.

This is the common argument against anything free, but again, if you spend enough time to filter trash, you will usually get decent info and can make up your own mind after enough time/research. The whole you get what you pay for that you state is just a cop out really.

On solar installs, paying more isn't necessarily better nor is paying $8/month for a twitter blue check mark.

Paying more doesn't mean better always? Stop blindling quoting you get what you pay for as it's a god send that paying more is always better. It's idiotic.
It's worse. It would be one thing if Twitter users could pay $8 to get the crap filtered out of their feeds. But it sounds like anyone paying $8 and posting crap will be pushed into other people's feeds instead. And why would you ever pay the $8 if you and your audience are both educated? Educated people will seek out stuff from knowledeable people because they know it's valid. Uneducated idiots are the ones who believe whatever is pushed into their feeds and paying to push stuff into other people's feeds is what liars and con artists would need to do to get an audience.

IMO - it's a lost cause at this point.
I'm really curious as to why the two downvoters of my post disagreed. What exactly are you disagreeing with?

My comment was in reply to one that suggested that it's possible to encourage Elon to stay out of the political arena and keep things job-related. To add some context - people have _long_ been advising Elon to avoid things like politics and keep things in general, boring. Keep messaging on-brand, avoid distractions, ignore the noise and keep on focusing on the mission. Ron Baron wrote Elon an email a long time ago saying the same thing.

In response, he's only further escalated the drama and further slid down the rabbit down chasing the so-called red pill - most recently naively believing he can turn Twitter into a social media platform where everyone can both have their say and people can engage in constructive discussions. But the result so far has been the opposite - he has only further polarized the platform and his attempts so far to equalize the platform have easily foreseen shortcomings.

So my advice is to not get your hopes up that he will return to focusing on Tesla and SpaceX.

Twitter and its surrounding drama are far more entertaining for him and his trajectory down this path shows no sign of changing.

7Bn people in this world - Elon is building a town square that is as fair as possible to all of them. That means communicating to and receiving. $7 is affordable to everyone in the western world even if it is just for a month or as part of a group - just a matter of priorities.

Setting the tone and providing the means for a platform on which (almost) anything goes isn't really "fair" to everyone. In todays world, it turns into an environment where people follow their emotions to throw dirt on whoever they are angry with, create (conspiracy) theories and misinformations that serve their preconceptions, and so on. Not that this doesn't exist everywhere, but on Twitter it is supported by design, and it shows, down to insulting emojis sent automatically to every email from media (as far as I have heard). An angry tone (if not hate speech) is "extended" to the media as such, which is the preferred news source for the larger part of the population, and to some degree to all opposition in general.

Such an anything-goes environment is one in which certain echo chambers flourish (which I wonder may be the point), and unless you are willing to communicate in that world in the first place, it isn't really "fair". It literally amplifies a certain communication style and so is not really balanced, even if the off-balance isn't exactly partisan, and even if the off-balance weight is not absolute but relative.

So real sources (for lack of a better term, my choice of words) will even more restrict themselves mostly to posting small bits of info for their followers (or for those who directly seek them out), and occasionally quote someone they agree with. And be very very careful with anything going further than that.

Having said all that, it kind of feels like stating the obvious, except maybe for the choice of words.

Nowadays lots of things cost something like $10 per month, and it adds up. (Or thousand(s) of $ for media with their reporters.)
At some point it would feel like having to support FoxNews for saying your opposing opinion.

Last edited:
"Look ma the emperor is naked". Lying dishonest fraud media gets exposed everyday, and in return lashes out on Twitter. And the sheep that is fed by the media laps it up.

This is one of the best quarters, especially best Q1 by A MILE. Just wondering if they lie on something so easily disproved, how much would they gaslight on things that are not so black & white. And think about the days before the internet !! Glad God invented and gave us Twitter.

lol-png.924273

An example of someone Musk let back onto Twitter. It’s all about driving interactions (and therefore revenue), not about truth or free speech or democracy or anything else the guy who paid $44 billion has claimed.

“A prominent qanon account is claiming that Huggies diapers use pedofile symbols.”

Let any moron claim what they want ! If they are just another influencer peddler pandering to their lobby, then so be it. Outside of that group nobody gives a damn. Be glad that Twitter gives them an opportunity to make a fool of themselves.

I don't pay attention to any of these guys.

• Disagree
Reactions: B@ndit and bkp_duke
An example of someone Musk let back onto Twitter.

“A prominent qanon account is claiming that Huggies diapers use pedofile symbols.”

Let any moron claim what they want ! If they are just another influencer peddler pandering to their lobby, then so be it. Outside of that group nobody gives a damn. Be glad that Twitter gives them an opportunity to make a fool of themselves.

I don't pay attention to any of these guys.
That guy has 265,000 followers on Twitter. I guess Twitter actually thinks what he says is true.

$44,000,000,000 can’t cure pettiness.

Twitter strikes New York Times’ verified badge on Elon Musk’s orders

The move continues Musk’s years-old grudge against U.S. journalists who have reported critically on him, and it will raise the risks of impersonation. It also contradicts an internal plan, first reported by the Times on Thursday, to keep the badges on for its 10,000 most-followed organizations, regardless of whether they paid.

By Sunday morning, the Times — Twitter’s 24th most-followed account, with more than 54 million followers — was one of only a few dozen accounts to have actually seen its badge removed, according to data collected by Travis Brown, a software developer who has been tracking the changes.

The move appears to have been personally directed or encouraged by Musk, who had responded late Saturday night to a meme outlining the Times’s decision to not pay for Twitter verification by saying, “Oh ok, we’ll take it off then.”

Musk overnight also tweeted several attacks on the Times, saying “their propaganda isn’t even interesting.”

Even though Musk said Friday that he wants to make Twitter “the most trusted place on the internet,” the move will probably make it harder for Twitter users to distinguish between legitimate and fake accounts. Pranksters and trolls on the platform have already begun changing their names and photos to mimic celebrities, companies and politicians.

"Look ma the emperor is naked". Lying dishonest fraud media gets exposed everyday, and in return lashes out on Twitter. And the sheep that is fed by the media laps it up.

This is one of the best quarters, especially best Q1 by A MILE. Just wondering if they lie on something so easily disproved, how much would they gaslight on things that are not so black & white. And think about the days before the internet !! Glad God invented and gave us Twitter.

lol-png.924273

Here are the actual tweets. So, how does one determine that @Garyblack00 is correct and @Lebeaucarnews is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.