Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitter is shadow banning the war in Ukraine.

I had to double check this in Github. Sure enough it's there.

Trying to look into it more I see this.

Hope we get some clarification on this. It sort of looks like Musk is providing cover for Putin.
So much for Elon Musk's free speech? That is exactly what we got, free speech from Elon.

Twitter is shadow banning the war in Ukraine.

I had to double check this in Github. Sure enough it's there.

Trying to look into it more I see this.

Hope we get some clarification on this. It sort of looks like Musk is providing cover for Putin.
Muskovite strikes again.

LAT, WaPo, NYT stands to lose BIG if Twitter is widely successful. They and other fake media rags are poised to become irrelevant as people would come to Twitter to read directly from the source of the creators of news around the world. The dying legacy media knows this, and hence the tantrum on blue checks and payments and their attempt to throw feces on Twitter.

They are hoping their tantrums - Oh my God, Twitter is a hate place, racist, homophobic, antisemitic, supports Putin and it is sinking. We are getting out, others should too - would somehow snowball into a larger movement and would encourage other organizations also to quit, and slowly kill Twitter by a thousand deaths. They are looking to undermine the legitimacy of organization verification check (which is orange color and not blue) by not participating in it.

"Look I am a big guy in the media. If I start ignoring you, then you are toast".

But here is the thing. The rest of the world is not buying this scare mongering of the Woke left. This assault on Twitter too shall pass, and it will come out strong. There will be a few hiccups on the way, but it will be the defacto world town square for dialog, opinions and disseminating news.

Last edited:
Managing editor Sara Yasin told staffers in an email, “Verification no longer establishes authority or credibility, instead it will only mean that someone has paid for a Twitter Blue subscription.”

I find this statement utterly dishonest, something media is quite good at.

There is no way, someone else can just whip up a card and impersonate LAT or NYT. For organizations the verification is just as elaborate as ever. Twitter had an issue for a few days last year and that hole was plugged. I can understand individuals may have some concern, but organizations with a registered domain names have nothing to worry.

This fear mongering is just crass.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkp_duke
LAT, WaPo, NYT stands to lose BIG if Twitter is widely successful.
Twitter will never be wildly successful as a news source because it has a way too low signal to noise ratio. There's way too much low quality crap to sift through and it's not even worth it for some really knowledgeable people to engage at all.
There will be a few hiccups, but it will be the defacto world town square for dialog, opinions and disseminating news.
A defacto town square would not charge people to have their speech heard more than people who don't pay, and certainly would not allow anyone to shield himself or herself from speech he/she doesn't agree with by only following certain people and blocking others. The thing with real life (and the big problem with social media) is that in real life, you have to face the music from everyone else in the room, whether you agree with them or not. You don't get to block 10 people and have their comments go unnoticed by you.

LAT, WaPo, NYT stands to lose BIG if Twitter is widely successful.

How? These are separate business models. Twitter is a social media company. NYT etc are news organizations. Your statement would make about as much sense if you switched out LAT for Wendy's.

Additionally you've listed all the left leaning news sources. Wouldn't it make more sense to say that Twitter is a threat to Fox News and Infowars?

There is no way, someone else can just whip up a card and impersonate LAT or NYT. For organizations the verification is just as elaborate as ever. Twitter had an issue for a few days last year and that hole was plugged. I can understand individuals may have some concern, but organizations with a registered domain names have nothing to worry.

Scoop: White House won't pay for Twitter verification

It is our understanding that Twitter Blue does not provide person-level verification as a service. Thus, a blue check mark will now simply serve as a verification that the account is a paid user," White House director of digital strategy Rob Flaherty told staffers in an email sent Friday afternoon.

In his email, Flaherty noted that per Twitter’s updated policies, Twitter will no longer be able to guarantee verification for federal agency accounts that do not meet its new eligibility requirements.

Many, including most newsrooms, vowed not to pay for accreditation, arguing that it no longer signals authority if any user can purchase a check mark.

Reactions: DrGriz and JRP3

Well, either you accept it is the truth and the media has been reporting it correctly, or perhaps the big, evil, media machine has hacked into Twitter’s own Help site and changed the contents. 🤔

About profile labels and checkmarks on Twitter

The blue checkmark means that an account has an active subscription to Twitter Blue and meets our eligibility requirements. Accounts that receive the blue checkmark as part of a Twitter Blue subscription will not undergo review to confirm that they meet the active, notable and authentic criteria that was used in the previous process.

🍿📽️

it no longer signals authority if any user can purchase a check mark.

What? If I as an individual get a blue check mark, how does that undermine the authority of WH and its accredited staff?

I have read half a dozen articles so far and none of them explain, how is that possible? Especially when organizations, Govt institutions and accredited personnel and individuals get different color check marks. This administration which hates Musk would of course sing the same tune as the media.

Remember individuals get blue check. Organization go through different levels of verification and get a different check mark. .

Last edited:
How? These are separate business models. Twitter is a social media company. NYT etc are news organizations. Your statement would make about as much sense if you switched out LAT for Wendy's.

Additionally you've listed all the left leaning news sources. Wouldn't it make more sense to say that Twitter is a threat to Fox News and Infowars?
To be fair, I can understand why he didn’t list Fox or Infowars as news sources. 😂

What? If I as an individual get a blue check mark, how does that undermine the authority of WH and its accredited staff?

I have read half a dozen articles so far and none of them explain, how is that possible? Especially when organizations, Govt institutions and accredited personnel and individuals get different color check marks. This administration which hates Musk would of course sing the same tune as the media.
They’re saying there’s no point for them to pay money for a blue check mark when it no longer includes verification that they are the real deal.

If their accounts gets a different color check mark from Twitter, that is on Twitter. The government representatives don’t do anything to trigger or apply for those other color check marks. 🙄

They’re saying there’s no point for them to pay money for a blue check mark when it no longer includes verification that they are the real deal.
If that is indeed a concern (which I don't think it is) then it is a concern only for 'blue check' , which is for individuals.

Organizations, especially the ones that have domain names, go through different types of verification, not too different from what it is today. There is no way someone can spuriously verify themselves as WH or LAT or NYT. (if it ever happens that could be due to a technical glitch by hackers, but not due to defective process).

This whole thing is nothing but CRASS fear mongering.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke and B@ndit
To be fair, I can understand why he didn’t list Fox or Infowars as news sources. 😂
Because they don't even claim themselves as pantheon of unbiased news sources or opinions. It is well established and also acknowledged by themselves that they are mouth pieces of the Right. I can atleast give them credit for what they claim to be.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke and B@ndit

This whole thing on, 'Sky is falling, sky is falling, get out Twitter now" by media is just plain propaganda !! Nauseating.

• Funny
Reactions: philw1776
It doesn't.

Remember individuals get blue check. Organization go through different levels of verification and get a different check mark. .
There is zero reason to pay for a blue check mark because it's meaningless. All it means is you've paid $8. And that you're a sucker. Would you follow someone just because he's paid $8? No, you follow someone because he/she is a knowledgeable source of information, irrespective of whether the account has a blue check mark. As you have said, if you follow idiots, you will become one.

If it's a celebrity you're trying to follow and you want actual identity verification, you're going to look for that different check mark. So why would a celebrity pay for a blue check mark either? There's zero reason to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.