Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: B@ndit
I WATCHED ELON MUSK KILL TWITTER’S CULTURE FROM THE INSIDE

I joined Twitter in 2021 from Parity AI, a company I founded to identify and fix biases in algorithms used in a range of industries, including banking, education, and pharmaceuticals. It was hard to leave my company behind, but I believed in the mission: Twitter offered an opportunity to improve how millions of people around the world are seen and heard. I would lead the company’s efforts to develop more ethical and transparent approaches to artificial intelligence as the engineering director of the Machine Learning Ethics, Transparency, and Accountability (META) team.

From the announcement of Musk’s bid to the day he walked into the office holding a sink, I watched, horrified, as he slowly killed Twitter’s culture. Debate and constructive dissent was stifled on Slack, leaders accepted their fate or quietly resigned, and Twitter slowly shifted from being a company that cared about the people on the platform to a company that only cares about people as monetizable units. The few days I spent at Musk’s Twitter could best be described as a Lord of the Flies–like test of character as existing leadership crumbled, Musk’s cronies moved in, and his haphazard management—if it could be called that—instilled a sense of fear and confusion.

Unfortunately, Musk cannot simply be ignored. He has purchased a globally influential and politically powerful seat. We certainly don’t need to speculate on his thoughts about algorithmic ethics. He reportedly fired a top engineer earlier this month for suggesting that his engagement was waning because people were losing interest in him, rather than because of some kind of algorithmic interference.

I WATCHED ELON MUSK KILL TWITTER’S CULTURE FROM THE INSIDE

I joined Twitter in 2021 from Parity AI, a company I founded to identify and fix biases in algorithms used in a range of industries, including banking, education, and pharmaceuticals. It was hard to leave my company behind, but I believed in the mission: Twitter offered an opportunity to improve how millions of people around the world are seen and heard. I would lead the company’s efforts to develop more ethical and transparent approaches to artificial intelligence as the engineering director of the Machine Learning Ethics, Transparency, and Accountability (META) team.

From the announcement of Musk’s bid to the day he walked into the office holding a sink, I watched, horrified, as he slowly killed Twitter’s culture. Debate and constructive dissent was stifled on Slack, leaders accepted their fate or quietly resigned, and Twitter slowly shifted from being a company that cared about the people on the platform to a company that only cares about people as monetizable units. The few days I spent at Musk’s Twitter could best be described as a Lord of the Flies–like test of character as existing leadership crumbled, Musk’s cronies moved in, and his haphazard management—if it could be called that—instilled a sense of fear and confusion.

Unfortunately, Musk cannot simply be ignored. He has purchased a globally influential and politically powerful seat. We certainly don’t need to speculate on his thoughts about algorithmic ethics. He reportedly fired a top engineer earlier this month for suggesting that his engagement was waning because people were losing interest in him, rather than because of some kind of algorithmic interference.

I still don't get why everyone is surprised by this. I mean, honestly, we all knew in advance that based upon Tesla and SpaceX, which are both "nose to the grindstone" corporate cultures, that the pre-existing lackadaisical work culture at Twitter was not going to last.

Reactions: philw1776 and SO16
I still don't get why everyone is surprised by this. I mean, honestly, we all knew in advance that based upon Tesla and SpaceX, which are both "nose to the grindstone" corporate cultures, that the pre-existing lackadaisical work culture at Twitter was not going to last.
Who said anyone is surprised? There's a lot of daylight between "nose to the grindstone" and "lackadaisical" work cultures. And I don't know where telling the boss (when he asks) that people are no longer interested in his lunatic ravings, when it is the truth, and getting fired for it, fits into that.

Who said anyone is surprised? There's a lot of daylight between "nose to the grindstone" and "lackadaisical" work cultures. And I don't know where telling the boss (when he asks) that people are no longer interested in his lunatic ravings, when it is the truth, and getting fired for it, fits into that.

The MSM "appears" to be surprised. They post the pieces like the one quoted above as if it was earth-shattering news.

With Elon, anyone that stayed would have never reasonably expected anything but "nose to the grindstone". All the way back to his X.com days, and with ZERO exceptions since then, that is how he has run his companies.

Elon is a known quantity, you work for him, you know what to expect in that regards (for better or for worse - that part is opinion I won't delve into).

First it was, OMG, Twitter is going to crash. Did it happen? No.

Next, everyone is going to mastodon and leaving twitter forever. Did it happen? No. Their user activity is crashing.

Next it was that all advertisers were leaving twitter permanently. Nope. Coming back. Even big ones like McDonalds.

Next, OMG Twitter is making people pay for verified access. Now FB is doing it.

Next it was, OMG, Twitter is making people pay for 2FA! No, just thru inferior SMS option which really should be shutdown everywhere anyway. It’s one step above worthless. App based 2FA is still and will remain free.

The claim that Twitter will go bankrupt and never make money. I believe people are wrong about this too but will take a few years to play out.

Having a secure site should be a part of the service. Billionaires nickel and dime the little people, as always. 🙄

Wondering when Musk will start charging users for Twitter beta features?
He should start charging people for a feature called "FST" or "Full Self Tweeting". Since it's in beta right now, he should warn people that as it gets closer to being completed, the price will go up. Based on what I have seen, there will be people stupid enough to buy it.

I don't remember people saying that, Mastodon was obviously too disjointed to be a replacement for Twitter.j
Oh there were PLENTY on Twitter saying they were going to Mastadon. Our own Karen Rei is one of them.

Even articles touting how there was a mass exodus.

Oh there were PLENTY on Twitter saying they were going to Mastadon. Our own Karen Rei is one of them.

Even articles touting how there was a mass exodus.

I'd say that article made the case that Mastodon was unlikely to scale. There is a difference between a few people saying something will happen and "Next, everyone is going to mastodon and leaving twitter forever."

I'd say that article made the case that Mastodon was unlikely to scale. There is a difference between a few people saying something will happen and "Next, everyone is going to mastodon and leaving twitter forever."
There is also a difference between “a few people” and “millions”.

But it was short lived.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
Where fraudsters, phone companies, and Twitter layoffs intersect:

Remove SMS verification altogether. Done.

Nothing new. Tesla’s 2FA is also app based.

Status
Not open for further replies.