Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It completely negates the argument from people with large followers about "I'll never pay for it". Bit of a shrewd move.

This is because Twitter needs the folks with large followers more than they need the $8 since without them, Twitter is nothing. Nice for all the popular folks to call Elon's bluff since them leaving will be a major negative for Twitter. We'll see how many $8/month Twitter actually generates other than actual payers of the service looking like fools (similar to $15k FSD subscribers....yeah, my opinion those folks are fools).

I don't think this changes anything/much since they were all verified previously anyways.

Overall, it is very hard to charge $$ for something that used to be free.

Last edited:
This is because Twitter needs the folks with large followers more than they need the $8 since without them, Twitter is nothing. Nice for all the popular folks to call Elon's bluff since them leaving will be a major negative for Twitter. We'll see how many $8/month Twitter actually generates other than actual payers of the service looking like fools (similar to $15k FSD subscribers....yeah, my opinion those folks are fools).

I don't think this changes anything/much since they were all verified previously anyways.

Overall, it is very hard to charge $$ for something that used to be free.
Yeah I'm not sure it really negates the argument. Now that it is known Twitter will keep some on Blue for free, that encourages celebrities not to pay and that gives negative pressure in terms of getting people to sign up.

Last edited:
Haha, they will have to leave Twitter to lose it!
Maybe they can win some defamation lawsuits against twitter. Twitter is now making continuous false claims that these people are paying to support something when they are not. If for example, this diminishes Stephen King's audience because he is seen as a mark/tool/right-winger, etc, then this could rise to the level of actual malice. Unlikely to see action there, but it could become interesting if, for example, Lebron James asks that those false claims be removed and correctios issued and Elon doesn't abide.

This sure is an odd public square which is all about protecting free speech. /s

Twitter permanently suspended journalist who interviewed Matt Walsh’s hacker

“WIRED learned Wednesday afternoon that senior reporter Dell Cameron's Twitter account was permanently suspended after he reported on Matt Walsh's Twitter account being hacked,” Jhaveri’s statement read. “Neither Dell's story nor his Twitter feed contained hacked materials. We do not believe his account violated Twitter's policy. We have not received any further explanation from Twitter and our attempts to reach Twitter's press office were met with the customary poop emoji. We ask that the account be reinstated, and that Twitter provide an explanation.”

This sure is an odd public square which is all about protecting free speech. /s

Twitter permanently suspended journalist who interviewed Matt Walsh’s hacker

“WIRED learned Wednesday afternoon that senior reporter Dell Cameron's Twitter account was permanently suspended after he reported on Matt Walsh's Twitter account being hacked,” Jhaveri’s statement read. “Neither Dell's story nor his Twitter feed contained hacked materials. We do not believe his account violated Twitter's policy. We have not received any further explanation from Twitter and our attempts to reach Twitter's press office were met with the customary poop emoji. We ask that the account be reinstated, and that Twitter provide an explanation.”

Free Speech Absolutism appears to end at the edge of Elon's personal political whims. Wait, wasn't political bias in Twitter moderation the reason he had to buy the thing in the first place to get rid of doing that?

Last edited:
Except it’s not true. They didn’t pay for it, but people will think they did. Ethical?

Whatever you need to tell yourself to keep going on your Elon hate. It's the cost of a Starbucks, and Elon has even made it public, on the day he did it. It's a pretty weak argument that it's some kind of subterfuge when it's fully out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.