Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV and ICE enthusiasts: Can't we all just get along??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that has amazed me in the year I've owned my Model 3 is the amount of H8 and venom spewed at EVs in general and Teslas in particular. From ICE-ing Superchargers, to "rolling coal", to road-rage incidents to internet commentary, I just don't get from where all the ill-will stems...

This article posits that there's no reason for EV enthusiasm and ICE enthusiasm to be mutually exclusive, an idea I can get behind:
TG Awards '19: GT500 and Tesla Model 3

What are everyone else's thoughts on this topic?

Last edited:
I don't know if its my imagination or not, but when driving the 3, I seem to get more mild road rage (for lack of a better term) directed at me than any other car I've owned. And its almost all trucks. Things like pulling out in front of me forcing me to slow down, passing them at a constant speed on the highway and then they speed up and pass me, etc. But it may just be me noticing these more and trying to attribute it to the new car.

I think it stems from all of the hate against “tree huggers” that the fossil fuel industry and some others have carefully built and nurtured over the years.

Folks see an electric car and assume you must be one of those people they’ve been taught to ridicule.

Agreed. Even though the irony is you are driving an American car running on American energy as opposed to a foreign car running on oil bought from the Middle East to fund terrorists.

I think it stems from all of the hate against “tree huggers” that the fossil fuel industry and some others have carefully built and nurtured over the years.

Folks see an electric car and assume you must be one of those people they’ve been taught to ridicule.

My thought are.... I’m not sure why anyone would be against an innovative American Product.... but then again, the owners might have something to do with it. Not to mention the perception from some ICE owners that we are all a bunch of rich yuppies

personally i hear less about it being "tree hugging" and more about "american jobs being lost" fodder that's pushed across news and social media sites. living where i do, there's an insufferable amount of biased "america is dying" bullcrap to the point that even high schoolers are setting up petitions and attending school board meetings to tell adults to butt-out and let them learn.

As for truck owners being the pinnacle of Tesla hatred (certainly not all of them, of course), it'll be really interesting to see what the release of the Rivian and CyberTruck will do to that culture.

Side note on "coal rolling," someone mentioned above. I'd never even heard of it until this forum some months ago. Then I got coal rolled by a truck in Mount Shasta in October--my first and only. So what does the driver actually do to produce heavy smoke on demand? Until our Tesla, I've had ICE vehicles all my life (including a Ford truck), and I have no idea how one would do that.

Back to the main point, let's all resolve to spread the peace in 2020. Happy new year, y'all!

Reactions: E Dizzle and house9
I've only really had 1 experience with someone in an ICE vehicle while driving my M3. Over the summer, an older gentleman in a mid 2010s mustang GT rolled up next to me at a light. I noticed him look over my car and then he rolled down his window to ask me how I liked my tesla and which one was it. I said Model 3 and I loved it. He said he's been in his buddy's model s and thought it was incredible. He also said, he was tempted to buy a Tesla but loves his Mustangs too much...he ordered the mustang bullitt edition and was waiting for it. Anyway, he said he was a car guy and just loves cars and thanked me for chatting.

I've only really had 1 experience with someone in an ICE vehicle while driving my M3. Over the summer, an older gentleman in a mid 2010s mustang GT rolled up next to me at a light. I noticed him look over my car and then he rolled down his window to ask me how I liked my tesla and which one was it. I said Model 3 and I loved it. He said he's been in his buddy's model s and thought it was incredible. He also said, he was tempted to buy a Tesla but loves his Mustangs too much...he ordered the mustang bullitt edition and was waiting for it. Anyway, he said he was a car guy and just loves cars and thanked me for chatting.

This is what it should really be all about. Let people spend money on and enjoy whatever car is best FOR THEM.