Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy Flight #2 - Arabsat 6A - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched the webcast again; it was just as emotional the second time but I wasn’t quite as tense. :D

The “quad-screen” view when the side cores were landing was awesome but there is so much going on that I couldn’t decide where to focus.

4D93A464-682D-46CA-814F-E3CD840B98F0.png

Official SpaceX photos of the mission now available here Arabsat-6A Mission

Wow some Great photos there! Some of the ones I especially enjoyed seeing: The close up of the Falcon Heavy boosters, very cool. Liked the view of the bridge to the Dragon capsule. Pre-launch pad shots of the booster and capsule also nice shots. Also enjoyed the Of Course I Still Love You photos, especially the one with Stage 1 coming down and the pad looks on fire. Even the coolant coming off the stages. Thanks for the link to their Flickr site.

If you want to poster print some high resolution photos from the Falcon Heavy Arabsat launch, check out photographer Trevor Mahlmann's website. The high res can be ordered through his Patreon site linked to on his website. The portrait mode photo of the close up of the Falcon Heavy boosters at launch would be my pick for a giant poster! I can feel the heat from this side of my laptop!!

Falcon Heavy Arabsat-6A - Trevor Mahlmann

Kerbal Academy set up a mic away from the yelling space nerds. Headphone warning, keep the volume low!

Kerbal Space Academy on Twitter

This is end-to-end, including the two triple sonic booms of the landing boosters:
Those rocket flames might be the clearest video evidence circulating of the reduced thrust being throttled by the center core. I think around 70%.

Reactions: scaesare
Why does each booster make a “triple” sonic boom?

I can clearly hear them in that video.

“[The] first boom is from the aft end (engines),” said John Taylor, SpaceX’s Communications Director. “[The] second boom is from the landing legs at the widest point going up the side of the rocket. [The] third boom is from the [grid] fins near the forward end.”

From: From double to triple: Why the landing Falcon 9 creates three sonic booms

What I don't understand is when/where the sonic booms are generated, because upon descent, the boosters surely don't look like they're travelling at supersonic speeds.

“[The] first boom is from the aft end (engines),” said John Taylor, SpaceX’s Communications Director. “[The] second boom is from the landing legs at the widest point going up the side of the rocket. [The] third boom is from the [grid] fins near the forward end.”

What I don't understand is when/where the sonic booms are generated, because upon descent, the boosters surely don't look like they're travelling at supersonic speeds.

The booms are being generated by the boosters until they drop below Mach 1. That occurs some distance above the ground. The sound wave of the boom has to travel to the observer from that location, so the time you hear the sound is much later than when it happened. Similar to the sound of a jet overhead seeming to come from behind the jet. Since the rocket is still going fast until landing burn, the boom appears to occur just before landing.

Reactions: Mike1080i
Thanks Hank! I happened to just find that same information at From double to triple: Why the landing Falcon 9 creates three sonic booms and came here to post it but found you beat me to it. :cool:

Obviously without knowing the damage sustained when tipping it will be hard to know what can be salvaged. Hopefully the way it fell will allow SpaceX to at least bring it back to shore and recover it. It (most likely) won't fly again, but perhaps they can still check get some data from it to see how well it handled it's flight and landing.