Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because it's the right design as we transition to autonomy. Knowing what the car "sees" is an important step toward building trust in the system. The more consistently the dash mirrors the real world, the better. Think visuals of stop signs, traffic lights, pot holes, pedestrians, and forks in the road. It's much more important than Wh/m or an analog speedometer.

Don't get me wrong. I understand why some people prefer the traditional view, but I see this as the future. It has personally helped me trust and understand Autopilot a lot quicker.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and it's not skeumorphic. Replicating the old speedometers was actually more skeumorphic. Having a digital display of the vehicle and road in 3D isn't replicating an older, analog version of the display. That's skeumorphic.

You do realize that this whole thread is talking about the UI on non-autopilot cars, right? It doesn't show any of the things you are talking about, just a picture of a car.

You do realize that this whole thread is talking about the UI on non-autopilot cars, right? It doesn't show any of the things you are talking about, just a picture of a car.

Yeah the non-Autopilot drivers still need to transition from the old to new interface eventually... with their next Tesla. Maintaining two splintered interfaces is problematic, as well. But again, I totally understand why especially non-Autopilot owners don't like it.

Yeah the non-Autopilot drivers still need to transition from the old to new interface eventually... with their next Tesla. Maintaining two splintered interfaces is problematic, as well. But again, I totally understand why especially non-Autopilot owners don't like it.

That's besides the point. This is a thread that us "classic" owners go to so that they don't have to read through 90% AP items/issues/observations in order to see what affects them. So let's keep it that way!

Oh and it's not skeumorphic.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. It's entirely skeuomorphic:

Digital skeuomorphs

Many computer programs have a skeuomorphic graphical user interface that emulates the aesthetics of physical objects.
Functional input controls like knobs, buttons, switches, and sliders are often careful duplicates of those found on the original physical device being emulated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeuomorph

Examples:
220px-Redstair_GEARcompressor.png

sk.jpg

Sorry, but I have to disagree. It's entirely skeuomorphic:

The top example is classic skeuomorph. It uses graphics to simulate physical controls that are familiar to the user. Specifically, as you noted to "emulate the aesthetics of a physical object." So, someone who might not be familiar with a digital version can pick it up and use it like the original physical object.

A 3D rendering of a car alone is not a skeuomorph. It's just a visual representation of the car. An icon of a car (be it 2D or 3D) on a dashboard or navigation screen is used to represent the car's location in the world. It's not there to emulate anything. For example, would you consider this a skeuomorph design:

waze.jpeg

Taking that a step further, would you consider the use of a car's image in 360 degree surround cameras a skeuomorph design? For example:

hqdefault.jpg

Because that's really what Tesla is doing with their car's depiction and I've never seen anyone consider the above a skeuomorph. How else are they supposed to depict the car's location in 3D space with other cars and the lane markings? It's not trying to emulate the aesthetics of a familiar design. It's trying to give the driver the clearest depiction of the surroundings.

That said, again, I understand why non-Autopilot users would prefer to have the real estate used for more useful purposes, like the data they previously had.

- - - Updated - - -

That's besides the point. This is a thread that us "classic" owners go to so that they don't have to read through 90% AP items/issues/observations in order to see what affects them. So let's keep it that way!

Sorry... I was specifically replying to "So the UI devs must really like the skeumorphic toy car as they are showing no indications of replacing it." Just giving my opinion as to why I think the designers are keeping that design choice on both Autopilot and non-Autopilot cars.

IMO, the toy car in classics is derived from completely separate code than in AP builds. I dispute the claim that it makes life easier for the devs. And yes, with a new Tesla that has the AP sensor suite, I'd be more than happy to have the new interface. It just doesn't make sense to force it on cars with none of these capabilities.

How else are they supposed to depict the car's location in 3D space with other cars and the lane markings? It's not trying to emulate the aesthetics of a familiar design. It's trying to give the driver the clearest depiction of the surroundings.

Nothing about the toy car in non-AP cars has anything to do with 3d space or its surroundings. All it shows is when the headlights are on or when the turn signal or brake lights are on. You don't need a fully rendered, 3D version of the car to do that. There ALREADY are standard lights/icons for the headlights, high beams, and turn signals, and it would be trivial to add one more icon for when regen triggers the brake lights. The toy car is entirely not needed and serves no purpose other than representing how the car looks IRL. That certainly is a skeuomorph.

IMO, the toy car in classics is derived from completely separate code than in AP builds. I dispute the claim that it makes life easier for the devs. And yes, with a new Tesla that has the AP sensor suite, I'd be more than happy to have the new interface. It just doesn't make sense to force it on cars with none of these capabilities.

Heck, I'd take a retrofit of those AP sensors as a trade off to the new interface. :) Maybe that's one of those hardware upgrades talked about 2-3 years ago.

But seriously, there is surely a dev fork, but so far it is not to include dramatic changes in the UI/UX.

The toy car is entirely not needed and serves no purpose other than representing how the car looks IRL. That certainly is a skeuomorph.

Does it show you front lights, brake lights, which doors are open, charger port, and charger plug status on non-Autopilot? It could be argued that the small car graphic replaces a lot of disjointed legacy warning icons. I think many people are more against realism verses flat design, which is a legitimate preference.

I think it's a confusing situation because skeuomorphs represent familiar objects and Tesla is representing itself from another angle. Yes, a real object, but not a different object. Honestly, I don't even think there's a word for it.

It's not my intention to try to take away from the non-AP dash criticisms. I think they're just trying to do away with the legacy icons and replace them with a car, which does happen to work better with Autopilot. I guess they like enough for all the non-AP cars.

But, back on track: Did the non-AP cars not get optimized cold-weather regen? I noticed everyone is talking about Creep Mode, but the latest build on AP noted cold-weather regeneration improvements. That wouldn't seem tied to AP.

Yes, yes, no, no, no. So all it does is show headlights (for which we already have an indicator) and brake lights (which would be trivial to add as a more discreet indicator). No reason for the entire car.

Besides, there's another, even bigger, toy car in the left side panel that does show those things -- but ONLY when the are needed to be displayed. That toy car I have no problem with, as it shows important information on-demand, and then goes away.

I get the AP toy car for AP functions. But I'll never understand why Tesla felt the need to add it to the classic IC.

Yes, yes, no, no, no. So all it does is show headlights (for which we already have an indicator) and brake lights (which would be trivial to add as a more discreet indicator). No reason for the entire car.

Ah, come to think of it, a different overhead or side view of the car appears to show the door and charger-port status. The car in the center only shows light status and, of course, AP data.

I am not AP activated, but have a 2015 MS, so have the sensors.

I noticed last week while at a stop light that the very large pickup truck in front of me showed up as a big panel truck in the dash display vs the road full of Teslas that I usually see. But a moment later, the truck reverted back to a Tesla. I don't know if the variable vehicles in the display is a recent change or if I just never noticed it before.

And I had not even started drinking yet!

Of course I did not even think to snap a photo of it. D'oh! :tongue:

I am not AP activated, but have a 2015 MS, so have the sensors.

I noticed last week while at a stop light that the very large pickup truck in front of me showed up as a big panel truck in the dash display vs the road full of Teslas that I usually see. But a moment later, the truck reverted back to a Tesla. I don't know if the variable vehicles in the display is a recent change or if I just never noticed it before.

And I had not even started drinking yet!

Of course I did not even think to snap a photo of it. D'oh! :tongue:
Version 7.1 started showing cars, trucks and motorcycles as different icons.

The main problem with the toy car is that if you have a light coloured car, it's too bright at night. On the other hand much of the other text is way too dim in the daylight. I'm sure that it looked fine on the design computer sitting in a moderately lit office, but I don't typically drive in a moderately lit office.