Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front half shaft replacement instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1682.jpeg

Can a TSB applied only once? I have a 2020 Model X, and the estimate to replace my half shafts was about 3400. I asked about the TSB, and the service technician said that they've already replaced my half shafts once under TSB (Which I don't believe because my half shafts were replaced a couple of years ago, and my car was still under warranty).

He claims that a TSB can only be applied once.

• Informative
Reactions: towndrunk
Can a TSB applied only once? I have a 2020 Model X, and the estimate to replace my half shafts was about 3400. I asked about the TSB, and the service technician said that they've already replaced my half shafts once under TSB (Which I don't believe because my half shafts were replaced a couple of years ago, and my car was still under warranty).

He claims that a TSB can only be applied once.
Get them to prove it in writing with a stated policy that a TSB can only be applied once, especially since THIS particular TSB didn't exist 2 years ago (with these updated parts) when it may have been under warranty. They don't like being asked to produce things in writing, b/c that opens them to legal liability and they know it.

Reactions: njhtran
I’d be surprised if they do anything in writing if you ask. I’ve literally had an sc to go elsewhere and nothing I can do about it. These sc employees have been trained by the type of people that run used car lots.

Last edited:
Oh I agree completely - but by the same token, when I have caught them in their obvious lies and called them out on it... There's about a 70% chance that they will fold like a cheap suit and do what they SHOULD have just done originally that would be normal customer service anywhere else.

I have heard this from many people now and it is my own experience 100%. "Love the car, HATE the company." There's no reason it has to be that way, but the amount of lies they will tell the customer is just staggering. Far too many instances and MANY service centers to be just isolated incompetence. They are actively being trained to do this, and it WILL hurt the company over the long term.

Reactions: njhtran
I reached out to the service bulletin feedback team. It seems the SB can be applied only once.
So we hav a design that lasted 24k miles on the first set for my P100. And newly replaced still has a noticeable vibration (not the worn out shudder) and they gift us a $350 repair once? Sounds like we all need an extended warranty or rear camber kit with lowering links. Or probably both.

Oh I agree completely - but by the same token, when I have caught them in their obvious lies and called them out on it... There's about a 70% chance that they will fold like a cheap suit and do what they SHOULD have just done originally that would be normal customer service anywhere else.

I have heard this from many people now and it is my own experience 100%. "Love the car, HATE the company." There's no reason it has to be that way, but the amount of lies they will tell the customer is just staggering. Far too many instances and MANY service centers to be just isolated incompetence. They are actively being trained to do this, and it WILL hurt the company over the long term.
You’ve put it eloquently. All points nailed on the head.

I reached out to the service bulletin feedback team. It seems the SB can be applied only once.
This seems ridiculous. I told the service center rep that the TSB wasn't mentioned on my invoice two years ago, and he responded that it doesn't have to be.
I contacted the SB team, who said the invoice must mention the TSB. These are contradictory statements from both teams 🤕

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240521_093041_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_093041_Tesla.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 6.05.02 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 6.05.02 AM.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 2
My question is does replacing the parts count as applying the service bulletin or does applying the price discount? I had axels and clevis replaced and paid for by my 3rd party warranty but no price discount was applied. I was told the TSB was not previous applied to my X. So next time they are replaced (and there will be a next time) am I eligible for the discount?

This seems ridiculous. I told the service center rep that the TSB wasn't mentioned on my invoice two years ago, and he responded that it doesn't have to be.
I contacted the SB team, who said the invoice must mention the TSB. These are contradictory statements from both teams 🤕

I just checked my upcoming service appt for yoke replacement TSB. There is no mention of TSB or number for it except my comment where I asked to have the TSB applied.

I’d be surprised if they do anything in writing if you ask. I’ve literally had an sc to go elsewhere and nothing I can do about it. These sc employees have been trained by the type of people that run used car lots.

My question is does replacing the parts count as applying the service bulletin or does applying the price discount? I had axels and clevis replaced and paid for by my 3rd party warranty but no price discount was applied. I was told the TSB was not previous applied to my X. So next time they are replaced (and there will be a next time) am I eligible for the discount?
You "should" get the pricing discount, but then see the above quote. They will do whatever they think will make Elon appear and pat them on the head for making him even more money.

Reactions: njhtran and EbS-P
Today, I provided the bulletin and copies of some of the receipts from this forum to Tesla Service Center in Owings Mills, MD. Initially, they called back to tell me that since I have done this repair under warranty once, they cannot give me the $350 price. The lady who called treated me like an idiot. She tried to say that the bulletin applies by the VIN and mine did not qualify. After a heated argument she hung up on me.

An hour or so later, one of the managers called to tell me that he will authorize a free halfshaft repair only this time. They also replaced a suspension height adjustment sensor for free. I did not argue any further. I figured next time this happens i will fight again.

BTW, I have a 2020 Model X with about 70k on it. The halfshafts had been changed around 40k miles. A previous 2017 model X we owned also had to have the same service

Last edited:
Reactions: geordi and njhtran