Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Very few posts now mention phantom braking. For me I wouldn't say phantom braking is completely solved but the reduction is significant. Better description is "unnecessary braking" when FSD overreacts to a car near me. Would others agree?
I agree. For me "phantom" braking is almost non-existent. It still brakes when you don't want it to but it is usually predictable and I already have my foot on the gas to encourage it before it even starts. So yeah, "unnecessary braking" is a better description.

The thing that worries me is one of the cases where it brakes unnecessarily every time is when an oncoming car turns left in front of you crossing your path. The thing I find worrisome about this is it only starts to brake after the car is already well clear of your path. Make me concerned that there is too much latency in the system for it ever to work right.

Reactions: Pdubs and old pilot
11.4.7 had a new behavior this morning. It kept the left most on a 2 lane street when it's about to enter a 3 lane ramp to freeway (it's a good thing. Previous versions changed to the rightmost lane then missed the left turn to freeway). Then it used the left most lane of the 3 lane ramp to enter freeway. This is bad because the leftmost lane is a carpool lane. Besides that, it did not stop for the throttle red light. Oh well, 2 steps toward 1 step backward.

So I have 2023.26.8, if I restart FSD would I be able to install the latest FSD, or have to wait for a later version again?

I’m always confused by the way they number FSD
I can’t answer your question with anything other than rebooting has no effect and you’ll get it when you get it, but was curious.

Have you banned vegetables or are you a vegetarian?

Nothing of what any of you are saying is true. I’ve spent all afternoon trying to no avail. I’ll never get that time back. You’re all a bunch of wankers.
It would have worked if you just did it one more time.
That's so obvious. Now you have to double up just to get back to where you left off.

11.4.7 gave me a red-hand ding when it was changing lanes on the highway while I was paying attention and while I was adjusting the scroll wheel and while I was applying a light resistance to the yoke. Who was it not paying attention?

Later, during manual driving, got beep beep beep and then some messages about steering assist and auto lane change not available (but might reset at next drive) during a Manual left turn off the highway. I had this happen once before on 11.4.4 and like the last time the error did disappear after the car sat empty for a few minutes.

I can’t answer your question with anything other than rebooting has no effect and you’ll get it when you get it, but was curious.

Have you banned vegetables or are you a vegetarian?
No, Vegeta from Dragon Ball was my favorite character as a kid and ban is from my name. So I’ve been using the same username for about 25 years, or variations.

I was waiting on the left most lane, trying to turn left at the intersection. The road I'm about to turn is a 4-lane road. The car went directly from the left most lane to the right most lane (without touching the left lane) while turning left, all in one motion.
FWIW, This is fine in CA. Left turning cars can turn to any lane on the new street (unless marked otherwise). Right turners must turn to rightmost lane.

You won’t be sorry canceling it. I have been weened off for 2 months and haven’t missed it yet. When something meaningful gets released it’ll just be a button press and $200 a month away…
11.4.7 is so bad for me that I’m canceling as well. It’s pretty much undriveable in even the most basic scenarios with well marked non-urban roads. Phantom braking is back with a vengeance, picks the wrong lane constantly, misses turns all together. Major step back from 11.4.4 or 5 (whatever I was on before). State of FSDb is very sad.