Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed several videos now where the path planning jumps around a lot when stopped at an intersection.

Here is one example where you can see the path planning is all zig zaggy to the left when the car needs to turn right. The path planning keeps jumping back and forth a lot. It is like the planning is not sure what to do.

La0fFJE.png

Here is source video:
At about 22:00 it displays the pickup truck towing the trailer accurately as a pickup with a trailer instead of as a semi. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

You cannot teach a car how to drive by just labeling data. You need reinforcement- what is right, what is wrong. Humans do not do the "wrong" thing enough to teach a machine that it can't drive on the sidewalk. Seeing a sign does not mean you can read it. This is why path planning is hard coded.

You seriously think a Tesla can drive down a snowy forest road at night with someone asleep in the back in the next 18 months!? Take me up on my bet. I'll quadruple it for full L5 vs city L3 in a 2016-2021 Tesla.
My bet is in Tesla stock. But the whole right and wrong issue is not needed for L5. I'm with Jim Keller on this one, as he explained to Lex Fridman (2nd interview with him I believe): "it's a ballistics problem". Nothing more.

For example a human spotted by the car on the side of the road. Some think L5 vehicles have to 'think' what the human will do. It doesn't. The L5 will react faster and with greater accuracy to whatever the human does.

And L5 doesn't mean no accidents. It means x amount of times safer than humans. We mess up lots of times. Delete all alcohol, sleeping and speeding accidents by having FSD and you fix 90% of heavy crashes. FSD crashes will be with minor damage mostly. If damage by accidents by FSD agents is <<<<< damage by accidents by humans then it IS safer, period.

"Technological progress dissapoints in the short term and surprises in the long term." - Jim Keller

My bet is in Tesla stock.
Fine. I'll do it with Tesla stock price. $5K worth of shares today, I pay out 4X the Tesla stock price on the day Tesla has public L5 in a 2016-2021 car. You literally cannot lose if Tesla ships L5 in a current car.

And L5 doesn't mean no accidents. It means x amount of times safer than humans.
Of course it doesn't. But current accident rate is 1:2M miles per Tesla, and 1:100M fatalities per NHTSA, with all that drinking and distracted driving included. These are actually very, very good numbers. So you're saying 1:10M accident, 1:500M fatality, with only a child in the back seat in 2023, and it can drive on a snowy road at night like a human can?

Yep, that's pretty cool. A nice incremental improvement, like the youtuber says. 100X mind blowing though because it manages to not slow down as much for a car in front?

I posted that video because there's no point in me persuading you to change your opinion, lol.

People who don't understand software will have more trouble appreciating how amazing V9 is compared to 8.2. Every incremental improvement Tesla achieves is applicable to the *whole* USA and (some aspects) the whole world. V9 is much better than 8.2, and that means a lot when it's much better, everywhere. Sure, you'll find instances of fails, but overall, it's much better than 8.2.

The vids are impressive, but clearly still a lot of work to be done, especially with unprotected lefts across highway traffic like Chuck has.
No doubt - but now that the radar is out of the way, they really can't blame hardware or fusion, it is all on Tesla Vision, and they have to deliver.

I think this (FSD 9) shows they can deliver (not in 1 month) but multiple releases of feature complete releases to EAP group this year and to all FSD owners sometime next year.

Then it is all about those stats -- have to show that upward trend over billions of miles.
That is what I am excited about.

These two instances are very good. Very human like in how it handled the cars crossing its lane of traffic.

The second one is particularly impressive. It seems it calculated that the car would be out of its lane of travel by the time it got there. *Or* it's really stupid and just kept going with the car in its way, lol.

So here's a stupid question, but I just don't know how this stuff works. I'm getting ready to buy a Y, and if I get FSD will I get the same capabilities I'm seeing on the video, or are these beta testers getting more capability than you can buy right now?
They are getting more than you would get. Elon says others, including you, can have it in 1 month. He tends to be optimized though.

So here's a stupid question, but I just don't know how this stuff works. I'm getting ready to buy a Y, and if I get FSD will I get the same capabilities I'm seeing on the video, or are these beta testers getting more capability than you can buy right now?
They get more in this beta!

When you add the "full self driving capability" option this is the feature they call "Autosteer on city streets"
Under "coming later this year"

They are getting more than you would get. Elon says others, including you, can have it in 1 month. He tends to be optimized though.

this is the feature they call "Autosteer on city streets"
Under "coming later this year"

same place it was in 2019, and 2020, and will very possibly be in 2022.

*DO NOT* buy FSD under the belief that you will get these features this year, or necessarily ever. That's how you end up a cynic who hates Elon as a person and never wants to buy another Tesla… like me!

If you think "FSD" is worth it based on what it does now, go wild!

100X mind blowing though because it manages to not slow down as much for a car in front?
Depends on why it's not slowing down. If V8 already understood how to predict where the other car would be turning, and Tesla just tweaked the behavior a bit, that would be incremental progress.

But if it previously wasn't even capable of predicting where the other car would be very well, and now it can, that's a bigger deal. It will give them a lot more of a powerful foundation to build on.

Rewrites in software usually end up like that. It takes a while to rebuild what was previously working, before you start to exceed capabilities.

V9 clearly isn't ready yet for public deployment. I think it would be fun to play with, but from what I can tell, it's probably very stressful to drive with, and not something I'd even want to use regularly (based off of the videos).

But it's cool seeing the system behaving demonstrably better than it was before. I just reaaaaally doubt that it would be smart for Tesla to release this to the public in a month.

Reactions: daktari and Matias
There will be a monthly subscription. I would wait for that.
The website has said "coming this year" for years.
If you have faith that Tesla will deliver you true full self driving then you'd be crazy not to buy it for $10k though. It's a test of your commitment to the mission. haha.
You should note that they're no longer promising true FSD on the order page, only "autosteer on city streets". Also, the people they did promise true FSD to 5 years ago are not able to get a refund. Even people who leased their car and received absolutely nothing for their purchase did not get a refund.

There will be a monthly subscription. I would wait for that.
The website has said "coming this year" for years.
If you have faith that Tesla will deliver you true full self driving then you'd be crazy not to buy it for $10k though. It's a test of your commitment to the mission. haha.
You should note that they're no longer promising true FSD on the order page, only "autosteer on city streets". Also, the people they did promise true FSD to 5 years ago are not able to get a refund. Even people who leased their car and received absolutely nothing for their purchase did not get a refund.
Ok, not trying to be difficult, but I'm just trying to completely understand. I realize beta 9 isn't true FSD and even if I 'buy' it I won't be getting true FSD. What I'm asking is whether I would get the capability I'm seeing in the beta 9 videos--'autosteer on city streets' and the other things listed, summon, or whatever. I realize you still need your hand on the wheel, all that. I'm only asking if I ordered a car today and it were delivered three months from now would I get as the 'public' and not a beta tester the features being tested in this latest beta release that I'm seeing in these videos? Or even within the next year, however long it took to iron out any feedback?