Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Letter - What does it include?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is absolutely realistic to believe in Tesla’s BEV credentials and not believe in their FSD credentials. This is not a package deal as the requirements and technologies — as well as Tesla’s track-records — are very different.

I guess my question is: Why do you believe Tesla will retrofit HW3 by end of year when so many other FSD related timelines have not panned out? (No FSD differentiating features in 3-6 months 2017 or any day since, no coast to coast demo by end of 2017 or any day since, no Enhanced Summon since so many missed deadlines etc...)

Why would Tesla suddenly be on time now? Don’t you remember how long it took for P90DL buyers to get their P100D packs (and what a fight) etc etc?

I mean the risk at least should be evident that there is a significant delay.

Completely fair to have an opinion. I for one am not surprised if Tesla has not retrofitted any meaningful number of cars by end of 2019 with HW3.
Absolutely - I won't be surprised either ! This kind of self-imposed deadline, to me, is meaningless. I've always added a few months to a few quarters to Elon's timeline. So, I'm usually not disappointed.

The real world is a much more nuanced place. I totally believed in the first four. I don’t see any risk in the last three either barring some company failure type of scenario.
Hindsight is 20/20 etc.

But I do consider doing the HW3 retrofits and Level 5 feature completion in 2019 iffy business.
We have discussed FC a ton here. My conclusion is it is a limited set of features - more like MVP than FC. No idea whether they can complete that before end of '19 - I'd say probably not. As to HW3 retrofits - very unlikely they will complete them - but if they want, they can always start them with some token upgrades - or like the FSD price increase, Musk can simply declare they will do HW3 upgrades once City NOA is released.

I don't think there will be HW3 upgrades this year though.

Pardon my copy/paste from another thread, but it's applicable word-for-word:

I bet that other than a few token people like social media slores and the random individual here and there to make it look like they're doing something, nobody gets upgraded to HW3 until the second half of 2020, at least in any sort of significant numbers… if even then.

I've been pretty vocal about believing that this is a very stupid approach if they actually give a rat's ass about their customer satisfaction. If they upgrade our hardware now, we are ready when the software goes live that requires it (if such software goes live. I have my doubts but that's for a different thread).

If they don't do the hardware upgrades until there's software that won't run on 2.5 (or 2.0), then their awful service network is the bottleneck for tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of customers who already paid for those features.

So why not do the hardware upgrades now… unless they don't actually think the hardware is going to do what they need, and/or they're just going to save the money for the inevitable lawsuit settlements.

So, I just got this letter:

As an owner who has purchased Enhanced Autopilot – you can now upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability at a reduced price of $3,000. Get access to current convenience features and future Full Self-Driving features to continually increase the capability of your Tesla over time.
Use Navigate on Autopilot for assisted driving from on-ramp to off-ramp, including interchanges, merges and exits – while Autopark and Summon take the hassle out of finding a parking spot and getting out of tight spaces.
The price of this upgrade will increase on August 16.

What does this actually include? Hardware? or just software?

According the the T4U app, my 2017 Model S P100D has Autopilot 2.0 Hardware and 2.0 Enhanced Firmware and DCF0 Autopilot Convenience features.

is this still the case? Looking at a car with EAP and wanting to know how much FSD will cost. Thanks!

One, that is not what Elon said.
Two, @verygreen has reported seeing evidence in newer firmware that 2.0 --> 3,0 hardware updates are likely.

Only HW2.5 cars are being upgraded right now. I said "immediately eligible" not "forever ineligible." I'm warning @1375mlm that if they're expecting to purchase a HW2.0 car with EAP and buy FSD, they may need to wait for an upgrade to HW3.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Only HW2.5 cars are being upgraded right now. I said "immediately eligible" not "forever ineligible." I'm warning @1375mlm that if they're expecting to purchase a HW2.0 car with EAP and buy FSD, they may need to wait for an upgrade to HW3.

I'd be buying a model 3! Definitely staying away from HW2.0 cars until I see at least one get a HW3.0 retrofit, and provide the functionality of 2.5 cars
Thanks!

Reactions: willow_hiller
Tesla's much-vaunted ability to add features to its cars over the air has turned into a real inconvenience for some drivers. An extensive Jalopnikreport details an (anonymous) person who bought a second-hand Model S75D with both Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving (FSD) as listed features. Except, somehow, those features were remotely removed, without notice from Tesla, as part of a software update.
Tesla accused of abruptly pulling self-driving from a used Model S

The person involved has been posting here: Tesla YANKED FSD option without notice - Class Action lawsuit? Any Lawyers here?

• Informative
Reactions: voyager