Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ValueAnalyst can you start writing a few Seeking Alpha articles about Tesla Model 3 outselling GM's Bolt to troll Anton Wahlman for me?

Related: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4119071-october-sales-chevy-bolt-outsold-tesla-model-3-12-1-278-1
Related: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4129402-november-sales-gms-bolt-outsold-tesla-model-3-9-1
Related: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4103729-august-sales-chevrolet-bolt-ev-sold-tesla-model-3-tune-28-1

edit: bonus points if you copy and paste his article and just search+replace the necessary values

That's a funny idea :) I drop a sentence in my articles every now and then just as a fun tease, but probably best to stick to relatively higher quality.

@ValueAnalyst can you start writing a few Seeking Alpha articles about Tesla Model 3 outselling GM's Bolt to troll Anton Wahlman for me?

Related: October Sales: Chevy Bolt Outsold Tesla Model 3 By 12:1, Or 278:1? - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha
Related: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4129402-november-sales-gms-bolt-outsold-tesla-model-3-9-1
Related: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4103729-august-sales-chevrolet-bolt-ev-sold-tesla-model-3-tune-28-1

edit: bonus points if you copy and paste his article and just search+replace the necessary values

@defc0n Here you go: ValueAnalyst on Twitter

I'm pretty sure that tweet alone gets more views than his Editor Pick articles... smh.

Reactions: MP3Mike
M3 electricity costs around $0.05/mile. A SUV at ~20mpg and $4/g is $0.20/mile, not even close.

Let's also look at acquisition cost's, and compare similar size vehicles. Chevy Cruze at 40MPG HWY, haven't done the calculations but confidant, even at $5 gallon, still not close. EV's for now, appeal to the EV enthusiast trying to save the world. Need much higher fuel prices or legislation like China mandating them. With the Trumpster in office for the foreseeable future, not looking good.

This is the definition of a relief rally. Under plan, but better than all the bears worst prognostications. Hitting 2000 for last week and unexpectedly for the coming week is huge and having Elon take over line engineering gives much more credence to building momentum toward 5000 weekly and beyond.
One profitable quarter and it will prove to many that the short thesis is wrong. Hide the cutlery folks, uncle Charlie and Moundtana and many others are not going down without every ounce off hate and spittle at their immense disposal. Amazon lightened up on investments one quarter to show what profit margins could look like if they were satisfied with lower growth. Tesla might just do that in Q3 or 4 and then start spending for semi, 10,000 3’s per week, Roadster and Y.

Let's also look at acquisition cost's, and compare similar size vehicles. Chevy Cruze at 40MPG HWY, haven't done the calculations but confidant, even at $5 gallon, still not close. EV's for now, appeal to the EV enthusiast trying to save the world. Need much higher fuel prices or legislation like China mandating them. With the Trumpster in office for the foreseeable future, not looking good.
1) "Chevy Cruz", nice try changing the topic, high gas price will kill GM SUV sales like in 2008
2) "haven't done the calculations but confidant", well that's a good argument, LOL. BTW at 40mpg, $4/g gas, it's $0.10/mile, still 2x of M3. Here, you're welcome

Or a "Bear trap". Looks like all the "good" news is out for now. Next NTSB decision on Autopilot, "Earnings" , more reviews on M3's build and quality problems.

NTSB is an advisory board and doesn't make regulatory decisions.

Even if they could, any recommendations could be incorporated with OTA update.

Too bad GM couldn't fix faulty ignitions with OTA updates...would have saved over 100 lives.

I disagree.

Even as of this morning Bloomberg is showing an estimated Model production rate of 1190 vehicles per week, which is off by 41%. From the posts I've seen, virtually every single person on this board did a better job estimating production at the end of the quarter than Bloomberg.

They did do an excellent job at estimating total production for the quarter (backward looking), so I give them credit for that.

Bloomberg's model is by definition backward-looking, as they admit it will never reflect current production but rather lags by a couple of weeks. With that said, I should have been clearer--I meant their estimate (made prior to today's disclosure by Tesla) of total production through 3/31 was off by only 1%.

As for the estimated production rate, I think it will be 'less inaccurate' than you insinuate. Right now it looks especially 'off' because Tesla put the pedal to the metal last week, producing at a rate not at all representative of what they had been doing prior. Their actual average production/week for Q1 was 750, and Bloomberg fairly accurately tracked that over the course of the quarter, I think. Bloomberg is now showing 1,279/week and I imagine as the ramp becomes more even, the Bloomberg estimate will more closely track actual production on an ongoing basis.

Reactions: sundaymorning
1) "Chevy Cruz", nice try changing the topic, high gas price will kill GM SUV sales like in 2008
2) "haven't done the calculations but confidant", well that's a good argument, LOL. BTW at 40mpg, $4/g gas, it's $0.10/mile, still 2x of M3. Here, you're welcome

GM is well equiped to handle fuel prices, wherever they are. Cruze, Cruze diesel, Volt, Malibu Hybrid, Cadillac CT-6 Hybrid, New Silverado diesel with 30MPG + Hwy, New generation of large Suv's likely with high mileage diesel. The world is awash in oil, and will be, for long into the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
GM is well equiped to handle fuel prices, wherever they are. Cruze, Cruze diesel, Volt, Malibu Hybrid, Cadillac CT-6 Hybrid, New Silverado diesel with 30MPG + Hwy, New generation of large Suv's likely with high mileage diesel. The world is awash in oil, and will be for long into the foreseeable future.
But there is a real cost to getting oil and tech with competition is making solar cost drop.

Typically the only reason why GM, Ford, and Chrysler have even bothered with lower end fuel efficient vehicles is to bring up their CAFE ratings in order to be able to sell more gas guzzling SUVs. Unfortunately for them, these vehicles typically make very low profit margins, and the dealers aren’t excited about selling them either for the very same reason. That said, if they can ramp up Volt/Bolt sales, I personally think it’s a great opportunity to take advantage of the tax credits while GM still has them available.

IIRC, GMs ASP was $33k in 2016?

Thank you for the hearty LOL this post gave me. M3’s only appealing to EV enthusiasts, everyone will buy a Chevy Cruze if gas is $4 per gallon?

What rock are you living under? In case you missed it, Tesla had over 400k reservations when gas was $2.

People are buying M3’s right now with gas at $2.50 per gallon because the cars are awesome. They would buy M3’s while gas was $1.25 because the cars are awesome. And they will buy at $4 because the M3’s are awesome and the purchase easier to justify.

GM is well equiped to handle fuel prices, wherever they are. Cruze, Cruze diesel, Volt, Malibu Hybrid, Cadillac CT-6 Hybrid, New Silverado diesel with 30MPG + Hwy, New generation of large Suv's likely with high mileage diesel. The world is awash in oil, and will be for long into the foreseeable future.
Don't count on oil price coming down soon
Russia says looking at joint organization for cooperation with OPEC
I see Russia using oil price to try to take down US economic growth.

Also why is GM moving to quarterly sales reporting at this exact time, when gas price is skyrocketing in the Spring? Maybe Mary and the board are trying to unload a few more shares in Q2 before they have to expose how badly the rising gas price is hurting them? If I were a GM stock holder I would not want to hold the bag till early July to find out.

P.S. I copied Seeking Alpha writing style, maybe it's more to your taste ;)

What rock are you living under? In case you missed it, Tesla had over 400k reservations when gas was $2.

What's that number now? We'd all love to know, if positive, Elon would certainly let us know... They seem to be moving through the list quickly, must be lots of folks holding out for the $35K version. Would love to see figures on Autopilot take rate, after all the publicity.

He “couldn’t do it months ago,” because he was busy with Falcon Heavy.
Who wants to vote again on the comp package?

Will you want us to vote again on the comp package each new quarter or each time the SP takes a tumble? If Elon isn't able to boost the company's valuation in the steps his comp is tied to, then he doesn't get the comp. If/when it does reach 650B, it is a win/win/win/win. Elon, Tesla, stockholders and the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.