Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM just adopted NACS 🤯🤯🤯

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I'm still going to be keeping and using my CHAdeMO adapter and may eventually get around to installing the Gen4 charge port ECU/bundle of wires to enable CCS usage. With Ford and now GM on board the NACS train, it should mean more expansion of Tesla Superchargers and implementation of the NACS handle at new EVgo, EA, ChargePoint stations and whoever else is in that market. It's always good to have options/multiple sources when needing a charge. The CHAdeMO adapter has been great to have along on a couple of trips to Oregon. That may not last after the next 5 to 10 years with Nissan (virtually the last USA CHAdeMO holdout; Mitsubishi doesn't count in my book) switching over to CCS with their new Ariyas.

Reactions: cdub
Are you having issues with Supercharging? I Supercharge often and have only had one or two minor issues in the last 5+ years. I have never not been able to charge.
Rarely. I think it's happened twice in maybe 40 sessions. My point was that EA and ChargePoint are not known for their reliability, and just slapping a NACS plug on their chargers won't really fix that - though NACS is a simpler design with less to physically break.

Rarely. I think it's happened twice in maybe 40 sessions. My point was that EA and ChargePoint are not known for their reliability, and just slapping a NACS plug on their chargers won't really fix that - though NACS is a simpler design with less to physically break.
Ok. As I understand it that is not the plan. This is GM and Ford vehicles charging at Tesla Superchargers. I assume some money is coming to considerably expand the Supercharger network.

Reactions: APotatoGod
does this mean teslas may not find open spots at tesla charging stations? Also i dont want to be able to use others charging stations since i am grandfathered to free telsa supercharging..
I think we are going to have to share. This becomes more like ICE fueling but with one major "fuel" brand, Tesla, and some smaller ones like EA. And hopefully a buildout with 2 to 3 times more Supercharging stands.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Ok. As I understand it that is not the plan. This is GM and Ford vehicles charging at Tesla Superchargers. I assume some money is coming to considerably expand the Supercharger network.
My original post was in response to your statement where you wondered if EA can get out of building chargers with CCS ports. It had nothing to do with non-Tesla vehicles accessing the supercharger network.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Do the older Tesla-connector Superchargers use the same protocol as the newer NACS-connector Superchargers? I read somewhere that older Teslas might need a "CCS upgrade" in order to use NACS chargers (except, I'm guessing, if the new NACS station also supports the old Tesla protocol). Is that possible? Seems very awkward if so - like stupid USB3, you never know what is going to work, despite the plug fitting, until you try it.

I am aware that in CCS2 regions, some older Teslas needed CCS port upgrades but that included the physical plug socket (?).

Do the older Tesla-connector Superchargers use the same protocol as the newer NACS-connector Superchargers?
Yes, in the sense that all new or old Teslas can all use new or old Tesla Superchargers. However, the rate might be different.
I read somewhere that older Teslas might need a "CCS upgrade" in order to use NACS chargers
Not so.--Edited: no for North American regions. I have no idea about CCS2 regions
(except, I'm guessing, if the new NACS station also supports the old Tesla protocol). Is that possible?
Correct. You can charge your oldest Tesla DC port from 2012 Model S with the newest V4 Supercharger with no problem.
Seems very awkward if so - like stupid USB3, you never know what is going to work, despite the plug fitting, until you try it.
I don't understand about USB3 problem. I have a very old USB1 drive that works fine with USB3 computer ports.
I am aware that in CCS2 regions, some older Teslas needed CCS port upgrades but that included the physical plug socket (?).
Now I got it. You are talking about CCS2 regions. I have no idea if CCS2 regions will ever adopt NASC.

Do the older Tesla-connector Superchargers use the same protocol as the newer NACS-connector Superchargers? I read somewhere that older Teslas might need a "CCS upgrade" in order to use NACS chargers (except, I'm guessing, if the new NACS station also supports the old Tesla protocol). Is that possible? Seems very awkward if so - like stupid USB3, you never know what is going to work, despite the plug fitting, until you try it.

Yes, older Teslas would need the CCS retrofit to be able to use non-Tesla NACS DC fast chargers. (Since NACS speaks the CCS protocol, not the proprietary Tesla protocol used by the Tesla Superchargers.)

BTW the CCS2 retrofit did not change/replace the physical inlet, it just included an adapter to go from CCS2 to the Tesla Type 2 connector. (Just like the CCS retrofit in NA comes with a CCS1 to NACS adapter.)

I believe you're operating under some misapprehensions. The term NACS ("North American Charging Standard") is the name that Tesla applied, retroactively, to the Tesla plug they'd been using for a decade, since the introduction of the Model S. Although the name "NACS" was introduced about half a year ago, the plug itself hasn't changed. That is, all North American Superchargers use NACS -- even those Superchargers built before Tesla invented the acronym "NACS."

The CCS upgrade to which you refer relates to something different, although there are some peripheral connections. Because Europe standardized on CCS2 (which is electronically compatible with the CCS1 we use in North America, but with a somewhat different physical plug), Tesla added CCS protocol support to its vehicles starting whenever Tesla started selling the Model 3 in Europe; however, the charging controller is different in European than in North American Teslas, and IIRC, the CCS protocol support took a while to trickle down to North American Teslas. This appeared in late 2020 in the US, IIRC.

Tesla's NACS documentation is about the physical connectors. AFAIK, it says nothing about the communications protocols, and strongly implies that those protocols should be the CCS protocols. Thus, when (because I think it's now inevitable) the current CCS charging providers start adding native NACS plugs, they're likely to use the CCS communications protocols, not the Tesla communications protocols. (Caveat: It's conceivable that Tesla is negotiating with these network providers right now to open up or license its communications protocols, so this may be completely wrong.) Therefore, if you own an older Tesla and don't get the CCS protocol upgrade, you won't be able to charge with these future NACS plugs at non-Tesla DC fast chargers. Note that EVgo currently offers NACS plugs via Tesla's CHAdeMO-to-NACS adapters, so those stations will be exceptions to this rule, for however long they continue to exist and work. This is all the more reason to get this upgrade, IMHO. It's currently available for Model S and Model X, and it should be available for Model 3 and the few Model Y vehicles that need it. (Somebody on this forum posted that Tesla said it would be available on July 1, but take that with a huge grain of salt.)

It's my understanding (but I may be wrong) that the older V2 Superchargers can use Tesla's protocols, but they lack support for the CCS communications protocols. At least in part because of Europe's standardization on CCS, though, Tesla added this support to the V3 Superchargers. That's what makes Tesla's Magic Dock CCS1 support possible, from a communications point of view. The V3 Superchargers do still support the original Tesla communications protocol, though -- older non-CCS vehicles can charge on V3 Superchargers, after all.
As I understand it, this upgrade involved a circuit board swap and adapter that's conceptually similar to what Tesla is now offering for S/X owners; however, CCS2 is physically different from CCS1, and Tesla never used what's now called NACS in Europe. Thus, the adapter is physically different. I don't know if those older S/X cars used the same circuit board in North America and Europe, and I don't believe they do today, so the exact components in that upgrade are different. AFAIK, the European upgrade does not change the physical charge port on the car. As noted, it's needed only on older Model S and Model X; starting with the Model 3, Tesla shipped European vehicles with CCS2 charge ports.

Did either Ford or GM say anything about standardizing charge port locations? That’s the part that an adapter can’t fix!
They did not.

It's very difficult to get Ford and GM to change anything, but they have proven that they did change the port format. Now let's hope they'll change to the same Tesla location. It's reasonable that they can't do anything about the designs that are now in production but if they are still designing new models, I don't see why they won't change to the Tesla port location (left rear) for those future models.

Last edited:
Did either Ford or GM say anything about standardizing charge port locations? That’s the part that an adapter can’t fix!
I haven't seen anything about that in either announcement; however, I would be flabbergasted if Tesla didn't address this in their agreements with those companies. Note that "address this" doesn't necessarily mean that GM and Ford would switch to left-rear charge-port placement; it could also mean that Tesla will provide longer cables at future Superchargers, and retrofit at least most current V3 Superchargers with those longer cables. This might be why the V4 Supercharger includes a longer cable than the V3 Supercharger. It could also be that a little of both are going on -- say, one or both automakers were willing to put the charge ports more-or-less where Tesla wanted, but a little further from the car's corner than Tesla prefers, so Tesla agreed to lengthen the cable a bit. This is, of course, speculative; but to use the favorite word of Vizzini from "The Princess Bride," it would be inconceivable that GM and Ford would release new vehicles that would cause the sort of parking/charging problems at Superchargers that current ones do.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
I wonder if VW will try to get out of having to build more Electrify America CCS2 installs?
At this point, I don't think that new CCS installs will dry up immediately. GM and Ford both say that they'll begin selling NACS vehicles in 2025 (presumably as 2026 models, although that's an assumption.) Given the way legacy automakers work, there may be a couple of years of overlap, with both CCS and NACS vehicles being sold. Look at Nissan as an example; they're currently selling both the CHAdeMO-based Leaf and the CCS-based Ariya. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised to see new CCS vehicles being sold as late as 2028 from GM and Ford, and maybe later from others. Plus which, there's a huge installed base of CCS vehicles already on the road. Beyond that, the current NEVI rules explicitly specify that all stalls built with NEVI funding must support CCS.

IMHO, with GM and Ford both having joined "team NACS," it's nearly inevitable that other automakers will follow suit, and all the major charging networks will have to provide NACS plugs if they hope to stay in business. Note that the NEVI rules require CCS, but the last I checked, they also explicitly said that other charge ports could be provided in addition to CCS. Thus, IMHO we're likely to begin seeing dual-cable CCS/NACS setups, much as CCS/CHAdeMO stalls are now common (albeit only one per site at Electrify America stations, and none at their newest stations). Alternatively, maybe something akin to the Magic Dock could be made to work within the rules (or for non-NEVI-funded sites). Also, because the CCS requirement for NEVI is in the rules that were written by agencies to interpret the law, which just specifies that the charge port must service more than one brand of vehicle, the CCS requirement could be changed relatively easily -- not instantly, since we're talking about a government bureaucracy, but more easily than getting a new law through Congress. NEVI funding runs for just five years, though, and given the timeline of changes to automakers' lineups, that might not be an excessive time for CCS to linger in the NEVI rules or in new station installs.

I do hope they build out more chargers to support so many additional vehicles having access, but judging by Elon’s handling of service centers, I don’t think he understands how to manage the needs of large vehicle fleets outside of the software realm.

Attachments

• IMG_2756.jpeg
    IMG_2756.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Funny
Reactions: israndy
I do hope they build out more chargers to support so many additional vehicles having access, but judging by Elon’s handling of service centers, I don’t think he understands how to manage the needs of large vehicle fleets outside of the software realm.
While that may be true of service centers, it's very much not true of superchargers. After all, they are known as the best charge network in the US for a reason. I presume both companies will have to pay upfront fees that will help the network expand to meet the expected demand. That had been Elon's long standing criteria for access.

The only stalls that had no strings attached were the Magic Dock ones, but Tesla only committed to 3500 stalls.

Reactions: Rocky_H