Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM just adopted NACS 🤯🤯🤯

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had expected GM would be the last hold out, given they were one of the biggest supporters of CCS1 and a figurehead at SAE, but if even they are converting, I think the writing is on the wall for CCS1. I think when Tesla eventually rolls out V4 with 800V support, even more automakers will switch.

Ok. As I understand it that is not the plan. This is GM and Ford vehicles charging at Tesla Superchargers. I assume some money is coming to considerably expand the Supercharger network.

does this mean teslas may not find open spots at tesla charging stations? Also i dont want to be able to use others charging stations since i am grandfathered to free telsa supercharging..

Expect even sharper growth than this Supercharge.Info graphic is showing.

Attachments

• Growth Screenshot of supercharge.info.jpg
    Growth Screenshot of supercharge.info.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 97
I believe you're operating under some misapprehensions. The term NACS ("North American Charging Standard") is the name that Tesla applied, retroactively, to the Tesla plug they'd been using for a decade, since the introduction of the Model S. Although the name "NACS" was introduced about half a year ago, the plug itself hasn't changed. <snip>

<snip>

Tesla's NACS documentation is about the physical connectors. AFAIK, it says nothing about the communications protocols, and strongly implies that those protocols should be the CCS protocols. Thus, when (because I think it's now inevitable) the current CCS charging providers start adding native NACS plugs, they're likely to use the CCS communications protocols, not the Tesla communications protocols. (Caveat: It's conceivable that Tesla is negotiating with these network providers right now to open up or license its communications protocols, so this may be completely wrong.) Therefore, if you own an older Tesla and don't get the CCS protocol upgrade, you won't be able to charge with these future NACS plugs at non-Tesla DC fast chargers. <snip>

It's my understanding (but I may be wrong) that the older V2 Superchargers can use Tesla's protocols, but they lack support for the CCS communications protocols. At least in part because of Europe's standardization on CCS, though, Tesla added this support to the V3 Superchargers <snip> [but they] do still support the original Tesla communications protocol <snip> older non-CCS [Tesla] vehicles can charge on V3 Superchargers, after all.

<snip>
Thanks for the detail. Pretty much matched my understanding but much more clearly worded.

To make it absolutely clear, can I check that I've understood with the following?
  1. non-Tesla vehicles with a NACS charge port won't be able to use V2 Superchargers;
  2. Old Teslas which lack the knowledge of the CCS protocol won't be able to charge at non-Tesla NACS chargers unless those chargers somehow are allowed/programmed to speak old-Tesla charge protocol (which is currently an unknown).
(Assuming the above are right...) it seems to me that this is going to lead to some confusion: "plug fits, why won't it charge?" situations (like with stupid USB-C, where the port on my laptop has a lightning bolt next to it but won't drive a monitor, despite the cable fitting, etc... You just never know what a USB-C port will allow). Presumably route planners (online, in-vehicle) will understand (relying on behind-the-scenes metadata) but if I'm driving along and see a charger at a nice spot and decide to stop for a top-up, there's no guarantee that it'll work at all. No?

Thanks again srs5694.

Did either Ford or GM say anything about standardizing charge port locations? That’s the part that an adapter can’t fix!
One more point about this: The charge-port locations on recently-released or soon-to-be-released GM vehicles is not consistent, but some do put it in the right-rear position. For instance, the Hummer EV and Silverado EV put it there; here's an official photo of the Silverado:
silverado-ev-reveal-charging-01-v2.jpg

The upcoming Equinox and Blazer EVs, by contrast, put it in the left front, similar to the Bolt.

Given the way that legacy automakers work, it's unclear that any of these will get a NACS port, much less a changed port location, until their first refreshes, which won't be for a few years.

Of course, an adapter actually can "fix" the port location if the adapter includes a long enough length of cable. That would increase the cost and hassle of using the adapter, though, and it would impose amperage limits that might be risky -- even if it was OK for the vehicle for which it was designed, you can be sure that somebody would try to use it on a vehicle that would draw more amps. Then too, maybe such an adapter could include a way to terminate the charge if amperage limits were exceeded, like a built-in circuit breaker. I believe that tear-downs of Tesla's CCS1-to-NACS adapter reveal such a feature in them.

non-Tesla vehicles with a NACS charge port won't be able to use V2 Superchargers;
It is possible that all V2s will be upgraded, or retired, by 2025 when non-Teslas start shipping with NACS.

Old Teslas which lack the knowledge of the CCS protocol won't be able to charge at non-Tesla NACS chargers unless those chargers somehow are allowed/programmed to speak old-Tesla charge protocol (which is currently an unknown).
Communication will be key here. Tesla can send a notification to all owners with non-CCS compatible vehicles letting them know about their compatibility and that for only $450 they can get a retrofit to be compatible. (Or maybe they will offer a $250 option that doesn't come with the CCS adapter.)

Last edited:
To make it absolutely clear, can I check that I've understood with the following?
  1. non-Tesla vehicles with a NACS charge port won't be able to use V2 Superchargers;
That's the speculation, based on the number of Superchargers mentioned (12,000+ for both GM and Ford; but the US DOE shows 21,182 Superchargers today, with the general belief being that something like 13K of them are V3 models); general belief (I don't know if it's documented anywhere) that V2 Superchargers can't "talk" the CCS protocol; and assumption that non-Tesla NACS-equipped vehicles won't be able to "talk" Tesla's proprietary protocol. AFAIK, though, there's been no official confirmation of this point.
  1. Old Teslas which lack the knowledge of the CCS protocol won't be able to charge at non-Tesla NACS chargers unless those chargers somehow are allowed/programmed to speak old-Tesla charge protocol (which is currently an unknown).
Correct; however, Tesla is already offering upgrades to Model S and X vehicles that are affected, and has promised such updates for Models 3 and Y. (Some people have managed to hack together such upgrades themselves.)
(Assuming the above are right...) it seems to me that this is going to lead to some confusion: "plug fits, why won't it charge?" situations (like with stupid USB-C, where the port on my laptop has a lightning bolt next to it but won't drive a monitor, despite the cable fitting, etc... You just never know what a USB-C port will allow). Presumably route planners (online, in-vehicle) will understand (relying on behind-the-scenes metadata) but if I'm driving along and see a charger at a nice spot and decide to stop for a top-up, there's no guarantee that it'll work at all. No?
Most likely, yes; however, these will be short-term teething problems, at least when viewed through the lens of EV adoption over a period of the next decade or so. The glass-is-half-full take is that the problems will affect a tiny fraction of all vehicles on the road in the not-too-distant future, since the number of EVs on the road is still small, but growing at a rapid pace. Also, it's entirely possible that Tesla will upgrade/replace the current V2 Superchargers at some point, and it's conceivable that they'll routinely retrofit the CCS-capable charge controller on vehicles they acquire through trade-ins. Even if they don't do that, there's a limited number of non-CCS-capable Teslas on the road today, and that number will only decrease because of upgrades and vehicles being taken out in accidents or because of old age.

That's the speculation, based on the number of Superchargers mentioned (12,000+ for both GM and Ford; but the US DOE shows 21,182 Superchargers today, with the general belief being that something like 13K of them are V3 models)
The Ford announcement specifically said 12k+ V3 Superchargers. And yes supercharge.info data confirms that there are currently more than 13k V3s in North America.

Exactly what that means. I am all for an EV in every garage but Good luck finding a stall at a Tesla Supercharger station in a couple of years. Tesla should make Ford and GM pony up to build a lot more supercharger stations as part of the deal.
But we have no idea what Ford and GM had to agree to.

Do you think it was nothing as far as fees are concerned? I think the money they make from Ford and GM as well as those extra $ for kWh will expand the Tesla Supercharger network faster than my graph shows.

I do think they will have to put a NACS port on the front-right or rear-left.

But we have no idea what Ford and GM had to agree to.
We don't but I doubt both would do it if it's a bad deal.

Do you think it was nothing as far as fees are concerned?
The royalty and patent are free. Zero expenses.

However, beyond that, it should cost them something.

1. Magic Dock. Tesla does not sell it to anyone. You have to go to very few ones to use it. Ford/GM will now get the adapter to use at all locations. This adapter will cost them something.

2. Application Programming Interface: It's needed to provide customers with a seamless experience as if they are not using a different brand; they are still using the same brand navigation and billing system, not Tesla.

Reactions: APotatoGod

1. Magic Dock. Tesla does not sell it to anyone. You have to go to very few ones to use it. Ford/GM will now get the adapter to use at all locations. This adapter will cost them something.

2. Application Programming Interface: It's needed to provide customers with a seamless experience as if they are not using a different brand; they are still using the same brand navigation and billing system, not Tesla.
I believe she already mentioned that GM had figured 750 million to start their own network and this Tesla “partnership“ saved them 300 million. So Ford and GM are clearly Paying for the opportunity to use a portion of the network (plus power value $$ share to Tesla). So with their contributions Tesla can near double what they have And likely hugely cripple the CCS competitive networks in short order. They will be the US Standard Oil in no time. Lol

3. The most expensive part: Fees to access the network!

Everyone is focused on the technical part and forget the highest value is access to the network. Even with a compatible connector and protocol (as in the case in Europe where Tesla uses CCS2) that doesn't mean Tesla necessarily provides access! There is little chance Ford/GM is paying nothing for that. They most likely are paying something to cover the expected increase in demand, which was what Elon said all along was a requirement for access to the network.

For attached Magic Dock, there are no details, but the gist is the Biden government is helping partially fund that separate from the other NEVI funding, but the scope is much smaller (only 3500 stalls).

Tesla Supercharger cable is thin because it has cooling liquid running through it. Thus, we can forget about extension cord for the coolant. The cable length has to come from Tesla.
A thin extension cable that supports full-power charging would indeed be impossible, or at least impractical. AFAIK, though, no current CCS Ford EV will charge at over about 160 kW, so it should be possible to provide a cable roughly the thickness of a V2 Supercharger cable for them -- with the major caveat I noted that, for safety reasons, it would need to have some way to guarantee shutdown if the amperage limits were exceeded. The Cadillac Lyriq can supposedly charge at up to 190 kW, so it would need thicker cables or some way to software limit the charging speed. (It occurs to me that Tesla could implement a database of vehicles, identify the model from the CCS handshake, and limit charging speed if it knows the car must be using an adapter.)

That said, I don't expect there to be much, if any, cable length in the adapters that Tesla/Ford/GM ultimately provides. Although I believe some cable length in the adapters is possible, I agree that a better solution is to retrofit Superchargers with longer cables. Incorporating an extension cable into an adapter would add cost, make the adapter more awkward to use, and possibly require limiting charging speed. Retrofitting Superchargers with longer cables would also be costly, but it would provide the better user experience, which is something that Tesla (mostly) values.

OK so now GM and Ford get access to 12,000 V3 Superchargers.

How may V3 Superchargers are there total in North America right now ?
If you mean stalls, you can get the data here:

Select North America
Select Power 250
Select Status Open
Down at the bottom select 10000 to see all
Select all.

Copy
Paste into a text editor
Remove non-data text
Paste into a spreadsheet
Sum the stalls column.

I make it (I didn't filter on 250 or Open in the page, I've filtered in the spreadsheet instead)

USA
12222​
Canada
996​
Mexico
72​

(Yesterday an article on CNBC obviously used Tesla's quarterlies to report numbers, saying they don't break it down. I immediately thought "Why didn't they check supercharge.info?)

Did either Ford or GM say anything about standardizing charge port locations? That’s the part that an adapter can’t fix!
They might move it, but selfishly I hope they don't.

Driver's-side front is the best position for our home charging*, and Tesla v4 Superchargers will change the cable length and cable attachment side to support the Tesla position, Detroit position and German position.

* We pull forward into detached garage and walk out garage door we drove through so ...
Get out of car getting anything from front passenger seat.
Plug in
Grab any stuff from back seat.
Grab any stuff from hatch.
Walk out door.
- If need to access car while parked, cable is not in way.
- With Tesla position, would have to plug in before filling hands with stuff from back seat, and then step over the charging cable.