Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you tried different combinations now of your existing and replacement actuators? Wonder if you can find a pair that plays nicely together….
I'm afraid, without the calibration the replacement of HW itself doesn't change anything. There probably needs the calib sequence be executed to make the THC system reinitialize them and make them able to use.. And as @kirkusss mentioned, they're powered and acting, so now it seems to be just SW issue like mine case was.

In process of building my ethernet cable. @ResHacker , what port on the car have you used to connect? Have found a country to subscribe for 1h, need to make sure all pieces are in place.

Attachments

• IMG_5941.jpeg
    IMG_5941.jpeg
    570.7 KB · Views: 111
Ok, bought 1h of toolbox time and got nothing out of it :)
Again, the system fails at right louver, even if that’s the one that moves and opens during supercharging.
Will try swapping the left one and retry.
The silver lining is that I saw what options can be changed by user and saw a lot on the pack replacement side and headlight type. Downloaded as well the pack vitals tool in case I want to field test a new pack.

Attachments

• IMG_5956.jpeg
    IMG_5956.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: richrootes
Ok, bought 1h of toolbox time and got nothing out of it :)
Again, the system fails at right louver, even if that’s the one that moves and opens during supercharging.
Will try swapping the left one and retry.
The silver lining is that I saw what options can be changed by user and saw a lot on the pack replacement side and headlight type. Downloaded as well the pack vitals tool in case I want to field test a new pack.
The left one did calibrate though, so that’s something at least (wasn’t this the one that you didn’t see move at all?)

Yes, it doesn’t move at all. Even during the calibration it stays shut, but the right one opens and closes…
That's quite weird actually. Did you try supercharging once more after the calibration process performed? Might clear the remaining faults. But during the calib process and also many times before I saw (or at least listened in case of the radiator shutters) them to be opening and closing.

Well it looks like it's time to repair mine again 🤦‍♂️
I was SC with the AC running the other day and the AC stopped working with that stupid warning. so today I ran a thermal test and got this fun stuff. However I'd just unplugged from a SC so I'm gonna run it again after driving for like 30 miles and verify the same results before I go ask for parts OTC.

It looks like 2 of the 3 louvers are broken but if I'm gonna pull it apart I figure I'll just do all 3 again since I'm in there.

The temp sensor error is new though anyone know which sensor that is or where it is? I know the temp sensor for ambient outside air temp is fine it reads correctly on the dash.

PXL_20230821_152343572.jpg

Tried as well some combinations yesterday and now I really don’t know what to say…
The one that is opening and closing correctly all the time is reported as failed (right). Even with the left unplugged it’s the same thing.
I am wondering if the car thinks left is right and right is left…
The good thing is that now I can replace the bumper in under 10 minutes

Attachments

• IMG_5997.jpeg
    IMG_5997.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5995.jpeg
    IMG_5995.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Stivi83it
Tried as well some combinations yesterday and now I really don’t know what to say…
The one that is opening and closing correctly all the time is reported as failed (right). Even with the left unplugged it’s the same thing.
The good thing is that now I can replace the bumper in under 10 minutes
Would you fancy sending me the actuators you aren’t using to try on mine?

How about if you try to disconnect both or only the right one? It might be possible the wiring is manufactured wrong, who knows..
Well it looks like it's time to repair mine again 🤦‍♂️
I was SC with the AC running the other day and the AC stopped working with that stupid warning. so today I ran a thermal test and got this fun stuff. However I'd just unplugged from a SC so I'm gonna run it again after driving for like 30 miles and verify the same results before I go ask for parts OTC.

It looks like 2 of the 3 louvers are broken but if I'm gonna pull it apart I figure I'll just do all 3 again since I'm in there.

The temp sensor error is new though anyone know which sensor that is or where it is? I know the temp sensor for ambient outside air temp is fine it reads correctly on the dash.
Well, you have been replacing them quite recently, so they might be still under warranty..? Still if they look ok and not damaged/blocked I'd try to perform the calibration first as it's quite weird to fail so soon after replacement.
Where do you have amb temp sensor error, is it also reported in the faults under service mode or..? I'd expect it to be somewhere behind the front bumper.

Well, you have been replacing them quite recently, so they might be still under warranty..? Still if they look ok and not damaged/blocked I'd try to perform the calibration first as it's quite weird to fail so soon after replacement.
Where do you have amb temp sensor error, is it also reported in the faults under service mode or..? I'd expect it to be somewhere behind the front bumper.
Haha naw bro I changed them out almost 4 years ago warranty is like 30 days maybe 60 tops if they're in a good mood 😂

Where is the calibration for the louvers I'm not seeing that in service mode.

@Zuikkis , that would make sense and no sense at the same time, but at least give me hope I am not crazy! Now the right (passenger side) louver operates perfectly during the test, even if the system reports the right one failed.
Sorry, once again I didn't realize the wiring probably couldn't be wrong as all of the louvers are connected parallel on 3 lines (+, - and LIN). But not sure how the initialization process is made, the actuators are maybe somehow coded to sign up like cond left, right, etc..
Haha naw bro I changed them out almost 4 years ago warranty is like 30 days maybe 60 tops if they're in a good mood 😂

Where is the calibration for the louvers I'm not seeing that in service mode.
Sorry, didn't realize that, read the post some time ago :D In EU I think we should have 2 years even on parts sold separately.. But 4 years under your conditions seems quite acceptable..
You need the toolbox
Yes, I have described the process earlier in this thread. Or you can try to find SC willing to perform the calibration.