Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sued Tesla for FSD costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a danger with a claim I think of making the attacks so broad and on so many different fronts (trading standards, consumer rights, etc etc) that the thrust of the claim is lost. That's why I want to have a good think about what the strongest point(s) of attack are before I commit to making a claim.

Ultimately I'll be pitching this on the assumption that it will end up in front of a district judge, who may well know nothing about Teslas (or care), isn't going to have time to watch videos, or to wade through reams of tangental claims made by Musk on Twitter, etc. I'll be focusing specificially and explicitly on my car, my contract, within the broader context of what Tesla has done since (including - pointedly - completely removing "Coming later this year" from the ordering page, replacing it with "Upcoming").

There is a danger with a claim I think of making the attacks so broad and on so many different fronts (trading standards, consumer rights, etc etc) that the thrust of the claim is lost. That's why I want to have a good think about what the strongest point(s) of attack are before I commit to making a claim.

Ultimately I'll be pitching this on the assumption that it will end up in front of a district judge, who may well know nothing about Teslas (or care), isn't going to have time to watch videos, or to wade through reams of tangental claims made by Musk on Twitter, etc. I'll be focusing specificially and explicitly on my car, my contract, within the broader context of what Tesla has done since (including - pointedly - completely removing "Coming later this year" from the ordering page, replacing it with "Upcoming").
Yes, simplicity is the key.
This what I ordered with expectation x at the time of order
this is what I have now.
Tesla kept moving the goalposts beyond a reasonable expectation

"Automatic driving on city streets" (aka FSD beta) when I ordered
I think the "depending on regulatory approval" bit (as I recollect it) might be a snag?

Or to transfer FSD license to the next car... which of course will have HW4

Surprised they haven't done that (I think they offered a 50% transfer-fee to a new vehicle in, I think? China)

Get the ambulance chasers who took VW to court over dieselgate onto them.

Did they actually make more than a few quid for each punter? When I looked at what they were expecting to get for each person I thought it was derisory ... maybe it turned out better than that?

All this makes sense. The video, I think, is quite important because it's particularly damning. (e.g. This is what they demonstrated in 2016, I bought in 2019, I thought I'd have it soon. They actually faked the video.)

I'm going to start drafting a letter before action this week. I think it can be relatively simple, because I can't see any other outcome apart from Tesla saying "no" and court proceedings needing to be issued. The claim form in the court proceedings doesn't need much info, just the quantum of the claim, legislation/common law it's being brought under, and a brief explanation. No need to present evidence etc. at this stage. I would have thought Tesla would want to avoid the evidence actually being brought up and them having to defend it, so would settle before the court date. But I wouldn't try and guess their behaviour too far. "No plan survives first contact with the enemy."

Did they actually make more than a few quid for each punter? When I looked at what they were expecting to get for each person I thought it was derisory ... maybe it turned out better than that?
I got a couple of grand for a car that I had already sold on for not much less than what I purchased it for. Pretty much free money in my books.

I think the "depending on regulatory approval" bit (as I recollect it) might be a snag?

Surprised they haven't done that (I think they offered a 50% transfer-fee to a new vehicle in, I think? China)

£193m / 125,000 cars = £1.5k average each.

There’s probably not enough FSD UK claimants to be worth their while. The no-win-no-fee financiers want the big reward to go with the big risk.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

I think that is an order of magnitude less than it should have been ... dunno how many cars they sold in USA but the fine there was $billions ... had to buy back every car, and couldn't export it (e.g. to 3rd world) unless they fixed the car first, and then they had to pay to set up the whole Electrify America charging infrastructure (which I'm sure will make them money in the long run, but saved the government having to subsidise that part of the EV charging infrastructure rollout in the short term)

I'm sure I'm way off the mark in my description, I've written it from memory, but my thinking is that it was a lot more than the bloody nose of £1.5K per car UK settlement

£193m / 125,000 cars = £1.5k average each.

Did the lawyers get paid via some other route then? (I'm ignorant on how that sort of thing works)

Isn't the regulatory approval just the difference between it being a supervised ADAS and FSD? e.g. The actual technical capabilities are the same, it's just whether you have to supervise or not?

If FSD is defined as "unsupervised" (clearly it can't do that yet ...) then we don't have that regulatory approval yet (I don't think we have what is needed for the current Beta either, but I don't know that for sure). But if Tesla reply "You'll get it when [unsupervised] regulatory approval is in place" then I reckon that might enable them to stall you - just thinking of "fore-warned/armed" :)

I think that is an order of magnitude less than it should have been ... dunno how many cars they sold in USA but the fine there was $billions ... had to buy back every car, and couldn't export it (e.g. to 3rd world) unless they fixed the car first, and then they had to pay to set up the whole Electrify America charging infrastructure (which I'm sure will make them money in the long run, but saved the government having to subsidise that part of the EV charging infrastructure rollout in the short term)

I'm sure I'm way off the mark in my description, I've written it from memory, but my thinking is that it was a lot more than the bloody nose of £1.5K per car UK settlement

Did the lawyers get paid via some other route then? (I'm ignorant on how that sort of thing works)
Lawyers got their cut on top as part of the settlement (some side deal). This was just the first wave of a very specific engine type. There’s another group claim bubbling along still.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
FSD Deferred Revenue - Tesla knows it has a liability.

Ultimately I'll be pitching this on the assumption that it will end up in front of a district judge, who may well know nothing about Teslas (or care)

A (sometime) Lawyer writes: Take it from Someone Who Knows, there are judges who drive Teslas. Whether that might disqualify them from hearing your case . . . .

Last edited: