Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sued Tesla for FSD costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is, I think, a significant problem here. Since the UNECE r179 regulation became part of UK law, it is at least arguable that it became legally impossible for Tesla (or anyone else for that matter) to deliver an FSD package in the UK. Supervening illegality in contract is quite complicated.

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob and NewbieT
I'm not sure, I suspect there's a lot of annoyed owners who can't be bothered to go through the trouble of taking them to court so jumping on that would be easier, as well as the chancers who see the opportunity to get some money for nothing

You might be right. Let’s say 110,000 Teslas in the UK. In North America 20% buy FSD. If it’s 10% here that’s 11k possible claimants at say £5.8k that’s a £63m liability. Even if only a fraction claim might be enough for one of the law firms to have a punt.

Surely there's a place where Tesla can go to get regulatory approval in the UK?

The idea you can sit there twiddling your thumbs waiting for approval without actually doing something doesn't sit right with me.

Why is there not even some kind of limited trial in a place like Milton Keynes or wherever they do those autonomous car trials you occasionally see at the end of the 6 o'clock news?

There is, I think, a significant problem here. Since the UNECE r179 regulation became part of UK law, it is at least arguable that it became legally impossible for Tesla (or anyone else for that matter) to deliver an FSD package in the UK. Supervening illegality in contract is quite complicated.
Let’s just say it is illegal for them to fulfil the contract obligation. The remedy would still be a refund?

My loss is the £m my Tesla Robotaxi was going to make for me 😆

That happened back in the middle of 2019, as I understand it.

...yet Tesla were still advertising as “Coming later this year” for months beyond that features they knew (I would allege) could not reasonably be delivered in anything like that timeline, borne out by the fact that 3 years later there has been no progress and no sign of impending progress.

I think the "depending on regulatory approval" bit (as I recollect it) might be a snag?
For that to be a snag it would have needed to be actually capable of meeting a regulation. It’s doesn’t even have the functionality to do what they promised let alone be blocked by regulatory approval.

A bit like a novice driver blaming that they can’t drive because of the regulations and not because of their inability to pass the driving test.

Even what it can do it doesn’t do with any level of competence or consistency let alone be at a level of functionality where it was likely to meet regulations or deemed to be of a quality you would expect a vehicle to have.

Reactions: Durzel
I also don’t think “subject to regulatory approval” is the panacea that Tesla want it to be. They above all else are acutely aware of the regulations, the pace of change to them, certainly more so than customers, so the onus is on them not to make contractual promises that are impossible to keep.

If they are selling something that they know will never be delivered in the practical lifetime of the car, then I don’t think clause will defeat that.

I also don’t think “subject to regulatory approval” is the panacea that Tesla want it to be. They above all else are acutely aware of the regulations, the pace of change to them, certainly more so than customers, so the onus is on them not to make contractual promises that are impossible to keep.

If they are selling something that they know will never be delivered in the practical lifetime of the car, then I don’t think clause will defeat that.
They can easily claim they anticipated a faster change in regulations, and specifically called out this as a dependency that is beyond their control. Their intention to deliver is clear from the beta of FSD now available to all in the US where regulations don't prohibit.

You've had several years of value from your purchase through NOA and Lane Changing, complaining that subsequently became cheaper isn't going to hold any water just like complaining after a price drop.

They can easily claim they anticipated a faster change in regulations, and specifically called out this as a dependency that is beyond their control. Their intention to deliver is clear from the beta of FSD now available to all in the US where regulations don't prohibit.
I didn’t buy a car in the US hope that helps.

You've had several years of value from your purchase through NOA and Lane Changing, complaining that subsequently became cheaper isn't going to hold any water just like complaining after a price drop.
lol ok

They can easily claim they anticipated a faster change in regulations
They shouldn’t make massively overly optimistic claims when they are not in control of the process. Charging people £thousands for what is, in this country, little more than vapourware in permanent beta just because they “anticipated a faster change in regulations” is just not acceptable. If Tesla promise me “automatic driving on city streets” by the end of 2019 then I expect to receive it.

The whole FSD saga, especially in this country, has been one of continual over promising and under delivering. But there is still no shortage of apologists who will try to defend the indefensible.

Even in the US with FSD Beta it's still a far cry from where it would need to be I think to work to any even alpha quality level in the UK. I work on tech so always felt this was utter rubbish about it arriving soon.

Depends on your definition, hands off driving on a motorway and then you take over ready to exit say cannot be too far off. Getting in your car and going to sleep from A to B across all the roads of this country I'd say is a good 15 - 20 years away. Might be some big breakthrough but they've only made reasonable progress on the easy stuff so far. The hard last 20% will take just as long as the first 80%, if not longer.

If we tried to measure the value of Summon, NoA, Lane Change, Green light chime as a percentage of the promise to deliver FSD, what % does that fulfil?
10%?

I wonder if selling EAP is actually about moving the boundary for what you’re getting when you pay for FSD as much as it is about generating revenue from selling us features.

Reactions: M3noob
For that to be a snag it would have needed to be actually capable of meeting a regulation. It’s doesn’t even have the functionality to do what they promised let alone be blocked by regulatory approval

Indeed, but my thinking was they could stall by saying "Wait until regulations allow it, then sue us if we are still not ready" ... but I have no knowledge of law.

They shouldn’t make massively overly optimistic claims when they are not in control of the process. Charging people £thousands for what is, in this country, little more than vapourware in permanent beta just because they “anticipated a faster change in regulations” is just not acceptable. If Tesla promise me “automatic driving on city streets” by the end of 2019 then I expect to receive it.

The whole FSD saga, especially in this country, has been one of continual over promising and under delivering. But there is still no shortage of apologists who will try to defend the indefensible.
If you also quoted the rest of that sentence then you would have the answer. They tell you this is dependent on changes in regulations.

Last edited:
But this is what you will need to prove, you paid some money to get the only option that was available at that time and received the capabilities that were advertised as being available. If you want a total refund you will need to show that you received no value and bought purely on the anticipation of getting City Streets driving by the end of the year, despite the caveat that this would need new regulations. They can also point to the numerous press releases from the DoT that 'self driving cars' will be available 'next year' for at least the last 2 years. https://www.nationalworld.com/lifes...e-permitted-on-uk-motorways-this-year-3216552

If you plan to argue that the features you did receive are defective is a different type of case.

I'm not defending Tesla as I agree they overstated the position, but I doubt you would succeed in any legal proceedings.