Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

How and when is the Tesla-brand service worth it? Do outside services affect the warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a relatively newer Tesla owner here. I have 5k miles on mine and drive somewhat aggressively, so it is time to rotate my tires. Tesla app quoted me $65 for a mobile rotation service, which is actually not bad in L.A. for a rotation service that comes to my doorstep. Still, I think I will forgo and visit a Discount Tire/America's Tire location to get it done for free.

This being said, I would like to know what services are generally worth doing through Tesla and their expertise versus a reputable outside service center. I would imagine that the usual things like tire-related stuff or fluid replacement could easily be done by an external service center for cheaper. But, when I start to get into more complicated things down the road like suspension issues, AC issues, electrical issues, and etc, does anyone have any input on whether it is worth it to pay the Tesla service price tag?

Also, do any particular level of outside services void any warranty coverage for my 2023 Model 3 SR Tesla? Currently, will getting the tires rotated by an outside service void any warranty coverages?

Reactions: Discount Tire
I am a relatively newer Tesla owner here. I have 5k miles on mine and drive somewhat aggressively, so it is time to rotate my tires. Tesla app quoted me $65 for a mobile rotation service, which is actually not bad in L.A. for a rotation service that comes to my doorstep. Still, I think I will forgo and visit a Discount Tire/America's Tire location to get it done for free.

This being said, I would like to know what services are generally worth doing through Tesla and their expertise versus a reputable outside service center. I would imagine that the usual things like tire-related stuff or fluid replacement could easily be done by an external service center for cheaper. But, when I start to get into more complicated things down the road like suspension issues, AC issues, electrical issues, and etc, does anyone have any input on whether it is worth it to pay the Tesla service price tag?

Also, do any particular level of outside services void any warranty coverage for my 2023 Model 3 SR Tesla? Currently, will getting the tires rotated by an outside service void any warranty coverages?
Not sure what you’re looking for if your passing on free.

IMG_2917.gif

Generic shops can do generic services like tire and brakes and should not affect your warranty.

The issue is most shops do not know how to fix lots of stuff in Tesla.

Tesla HVAC is complicated.

When your display screen goes out, you'll need Tesla.

Tesla 12V lead acid and 15.5V is quite tricky so you might need Tesla.

There are DIY experts who can fix Tesla but not sure if there's one in your state.

Reactions: SuperPigDots
For simple things like tires, any reputable service place can handle it. I recently had my Model S tires changed at Americas Tire and had no issues. Don’t use Tesla for tire service, other than rotations. They charge a lot more them Americas Tire or Firestone.
Anything major, take it to Tesla. Since you’re still in warranty that’s where you’d probably wind up anyways for non-wear/tear issues.

Discount Tire won't do free rotations on new cars. It's only if you bought the tires from them.
And there isn't really any other maintenance to do.
If you go to Discount Tire with your new tires from Tesla, and add a tire warranty to the tires, in addition to the warranty you get free rotation, balance, and flat repairs until tire reaches 4/32 tread depth

Reactions: Discount Tire
When you eventually crack your windshield, it's either Safelite or Tesla. I got quoted by both and for me, it was cheaper to go thru tesla. BUT... Tesla doesn't go thru insurance so you pay out if pocket and get reimbursed from insurance. If any of the other glass cracks, you have to use Tesla. It's not that uncommon for roof glass or the rear glass to get a chip and crack. It happened to me. Windshield and roof at the same time.

Reactions: SuperPigDots