Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will Tesla go to fix alignment issues (doors, chrome trim, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said this before, but aligning the front and falcon wing door handles was one of the bigger mistakes Tesla made with the X.

Yes. We know that you keep harping on this minor point. We get it

You can keep repeating that and being a Debby Downer or you can enjoy and spread the love of the most important vehicle ever created.

We got our X back from the SC after about 4-5 working days there - we had a driver's side FWD misalignment that was cosmetic - door always opened and closed fine.

They didn't take it back to the factory. A team came out to the SC and worked on alignment.

It's much better now and still seems to open/close fine. It's not 100% perfect, but enough that I'm satisfied and it doesn't bother me.

I can post pics later if people are interested.

Reactions: madodel
We got our X back from the SC after about 4-5 working days there - we had a driver's side FWD misalignment that was cosmetic - door always opened and closed fine.

They didn't take it back to the factory. A team came out to the SC and worked on alignment.

It's much better now and still seems to open/close fine. It's not 100% perfect, but enough that I'm satisfied and it doesn't bother me.

We are both in the same boat. My driver's side door was noticeable higher at the roof than the FWD. Service center just returned it to me today. It is very close to perfect, but now the back of the door sticks out ever so slightly, so I most likely will be having them look at it when it goes to the body shop for a fix of a slight panel nick on the Passenger FWD (didn't sense my garage rails).

Also had a few other things fixed - trunk alignment, a few interior panels needing refitting, and the piece of glass? on the roof between the top of the windshield and the falcon wing doors (Tesla calls it the front roof aplique). It was significantly bowed on one side. The SC also confirmed the ghosting issue, and that Tesla is working to identify the root cause.

Overall, great experience with the Dallas Service Center as usual. I would also be happy to post photos for those interested.

Pictures would be great! I have alignment issues with the FWD on the driver's side and I don't know whether is something I'll have to get used to or something that can be fixed. Looking from the back of the car one can see that the right FWD is flashed while the left one is slightly raised. I also noticed that, on both sides, the bottom of the FWDs stick out. I don't think this can be good for the drag. Besides, when I open the doors the frame is all splashed and dirty which suggests water and dirt are getting in through those gaps.

Attachments

• WP_20160603_17_23_25_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20160603_17_23_25_Rich_LI.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 201
  • WP_20160603_17_23_40_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20160603_17_23_40_Rich_LI.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 163
  • WP_20160603_17_24_04_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20160603_17_24_04_Rich_LI.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Informative
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
I thought my passenger FWD was misaligned with the passenger door but it turned out that the regulators need to be replaced as the passenger door is sagging so it doesn't have to go to the body shop. Otherwise everything is almost perfect except for the rattle noise in the trunk, the car went to the SC for the first time today. Hopefully they will take care of everything on my list

Here's a pic of the driver's side FWD before going to the SC:
IMG_3151.JPG

And after - you can see the improvement in alignment both at the roofline and the chrome:
IMG_3248.JPG

Another angle (before):
IMG_3152.JPG

And after:

IMG_3244.JPG

While there was significant improvement, I'd say it's still not as good as the passenger's side FWD, and one impact of this is that the front and FWD "handles" now are a bit offset/misaligned:

IMG_3250.JPG

While not ideal/perfect, I am not inclined to bring it back and spend another week or so trying to get it improved further. The service advisor said the door was now within Tesla's spec/tolerances.

Given that we made the choice to go ahead and get the first year production model and everything else seems to be working well, I'm thinking we can live with it the way it is now.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
While not ideal/perfect, I am not inclined to bring it back and spend another week or so trying to get it improved further. The service advisor said the door was now within Tesla's spec/tolerances.
Glad they could improve it for you.

Yes. There is a point of no return here. Tesla still has a lot to do to get all of these parts manufactured to tolerances and then get an assembly line that can work within their specs. It will probably be at least a year or more IMHO. So for now we all are driving around in hand built cars of various quality.

Another thing that Tesla needs to learn is that they need to accommodate slop into their parts as well as the ability to adjust the slop out. They are trying to be too precise and the world is just not ready for that. Plus the environment and user will disrupt that every day.

At established auto makers the body engineers usually have to approve a design, so they won't end up with a body they can't build well. The designers come to see the engineers as "can't do" people who won't let them have what they really want.

I do wonder who Tesla hired for body engineering, and how much power they have. They might be people with sufficient experience, but good luck telling Elon Musk he can't have the design he wants :)

If they feel enough pain they'll learn from the experience.

• Helpful
The SC said it will be done on Tuesday after they go over it to make sure everything is done. I feel hopeful. I will be reporting back. How is yours doing?

Hopefully yours are all fixed. I am waiting for a DS to assign to me to configure the replacement X. This time I will be choosing red and black wheel, my current color gives me bad taste in my mouth everything I look at it. Figure a new color will greatly help and brings a fresh new start for me.

Reactions: CaliX
Wow. I really hope they can do better for you than this. Otherwise Tesla tolerances are much looser than any other car made.

View attachment 179685

Given that we made the choice to go ahead and get the first year production model and everything else seems to be working well, I'm thinking we can live with it the way it is now.

Thanks I should have labeled these. I will do that tomorrow but issue I see
- noticebale gap between the frunk hood and the headlights
- noticeable gap on one side between the life gate and the frame
- Window seals are cut shoddily.. Uneven and edges on the corners look rough.
- Different frame parts not really comne together evenly at many places. One part is high at some places but then the other.

The seals look like kindergarteners cut them with the round scissors you can run with. Utterly pathetic on a $140K car.

It's almost like seals were an afterthought on these cars?

• Funny
Reactions: Coolcarx
The seals are definitely in need of evolution. I live on a very dusty California dirt road, and that makes for very revealing imagery when it comes to where seals are underperforming. I certainly assume that Tesla is working on seal redesign/refactoring. I'll leave it at that for now.

The only misalignment I see are the FWD and my passenger door FWD is similar as the "after" of @Sony SS-M7. Should I look into it and see if it is even possible to get it fixed? The body shop apparently is full until August, seriously Tesla!!!

The only issue that is really driving me nuts is the rattle from the trunk, they said they fixed it when I picked it up on Saturday but it is still noticeable.

• Informative