Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's the point, Ford has given up making cars because they have the best selling vehicle for 44 years on their hands. It'll be tough for the CT to score against a competitor that has already come to market and has figured out many of their first gen issues. The CT will have NO accessory companies ready to go the way the Ford did, no giant industry of truck campers that can just be popped onto the back and are sold specifically to fit the truck. It's gonna be a long time before the value as a truck is going to be obvious.

Not sure about off-road usage either. People know what goes wrong with an F150 when you scrape it & how to fix it, people may be as scared as they were to take the Faberge X off-roading even though it was delivered with the plastic pieces to protect the lower finish. Despite the machine gunned CT we haven't seen them really being beat up in all the road miles Tesla's marketing team have been putting the fleet thru.

Now it will compete on the towing capability. Imagine pulling your Ford into the one 50kW charger on your route with your 131kWh batt you just drained towing your Airstream, compared to the Tesla with a high speed charger every few miles down the highway (even in Montana) that's going to be painful. Especially if it's out of order, can't believe how many of them are just ignored after installation.
Disclaimer. Ford EVs will be able to use Superchargers starting next year. That advantage is gone…

Reactions: FLRifleman
Not any stations in my area with a single Magic Dock and how long will it take for Tesla to release an adapter? With Tesla delays, I won’t be surprised if the adapter is available to a select few in the end of the 4th quarter of 2024 and still only able to charge at V3 chargers.

I sold my Rivian after 5 months of ownership because I couldn’t rely on 3rd party chargers that were either broken, with long waits to charge at a level 3 charger with only one charging cable, unable to start a charge or the charger is throttled down to 16 kW or less.

An ugly CT that is able to Supercharge is better than a F150L that can’t fast charge reliably in todays world. Not until Supercharging is shown to be reliable will I think of owning another non-Tesla EV.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Not any stations in my area with a single Magic Dock and how long will it take for Tesla to release an adapter? With Tesla delays, I won’t be surprised if the adapter is available to a select few in the end of the 4th quarter of 2024 and still only able to charge at V3 chargers.

I sold my Rivian after 5 months of ownership because I couldn’t rely on 3rd party chargers that were either broken, with long waits to charge at a level 3 charger with only one charging cable, unable to start a charge or the charger is throttled down to 16 kW or less.

An ugly CT that is able to Supercharge is better than a F150L that can’t fast charge reliably in todays world. Not until Supercharging is shown to be reliable will I think of owning another non-Tesla EV.

Which Lightning cant charge reliably? There are countless of cross country road trips from owners that have had no issues Charging.

Which Lightning cant charge reliably? There are countless of cross country road trips from owners that have had no issues Charging.
In my area there are few reliable level 3 stations. I couldn’t charge reliably at about 1/4 of the stations due to the network being down, a lineup of people waiting, or station being throttled down. I just gave an example that the F150L will charge less reliably than a CT at this point in time. If you have better level 3 charging access than my area then that’s great and happy for you.

It charges slow and doesn't use Tesla network. The EA network is really terrible, especially on the east coast.

Of course that's changing soon when Ford gets access to SCs.
"it charges slow" ... lol

it holds 100kw+ all the way up to 80% .... to me that's preferable versus hitting 250kw briefly and then once you go over 60% it drops down and aftere 70% you are well below 100kw

"it charges slow" ... lol

it holds 100kw+ all the way up to 80% .... to me that's preferable versus hitting 250kw briefly and then once you go over 60% it drops down and aftere 70% you are well below 100kw
The F150L that I used took 54 min to go from 11-80% at a 350kWh station. That's slow.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
The F150L that I used took 54 min to go from 11-80% at a 350kWh station. That's slow.
Was it the ER model? If so, it's charging a 131kwh battery pack (which is really more of a 138kwh pack) - that pack is about 70% larger than the 80kwh packs in the MY for comparison's sake. 54 minutes isn't bad given it's a much larger pack. However, if you had the SR model with the smaller pack, then obviously this example doesn't apply, or at least not to the same extent.

Was it the ER model? If so, it's charging a 131kwh battery pack (which is really more of a 138kwh pack) - that pack is about 70% larger than the 80kwh packs in the MY for comparison's sake. 54 minutes isn't bad given it's a much larger pack. However, if you had the SR model with the smaller pack, then obviously this example doesn't apply, or at least not to the same extent.
I drive a much roadtripped 2017 TMX 100D and this looks like a great charging curve to me with a much bigger pack. Both are below.

My info on the: Ford F150 Lightning ER -- Total 143.4 kWh -- Usable: 131kWh (91.35)

83ydBDT.jpg

ZkjzIVI.jpg

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I don't know how some people are saying there's no issues with non-Tesla chargers. I love my Rivian but road trips have always been frustrating. EA/EVGo chargers are so often broken, not charging at the speed it should be, congested, etc. I've done the same road trips in our Tesla and never had an issue.

As a matter of fact, that's the only thing I don't like about owning the Rivian. I dread having to gamble with charging, not knowing if I'll be able to quickly charge up and go...or if it will be a hunt for a station that work or doesn't have a line of cars

I don't know how some people are saying there's no issues with non-Tesla chargers. I love my Rivian but road trips have always been frustrating. EA/EVGo chargers are so often broken, not charging at the speed it should be, congested, etc. I've done the same road trips in our Tesla and never had an issue.

As a matter of fact, that's the only thing I don't like about owning the Rivian. I dread having to gamble with charging, not knowing if I'll be able to quickly charge up and go...or if it will be a hunt for a station that work or doesn't have a line of cars

But that's part of the Rivian Adventure! ;)

You’ve never had an issue with congested Tesla SC but you have had congestion with EA/EVGO?

After several trips I’ve never had an issue with CCS except their stupid process to initiate charging. Why can’t they do it how Tesla does it, plug in and that’s it. You have to stand there and go through like 5 screens before it initiates

You’ve never had an issue with congested Tesla SC but you have had congestion with EA/EVGO?

After several trips I’ve never had an issue with CCS except their stupid process to initiate charging. Why can’t they do it how Tesla does it, plug in and that’s it. You have to stand there and go through like 5 screens before it initiates

Yes, that's right, I never have had to wait a long time waiting for a Tesla SC. 1-2 cars waiting for 30 chargers is a big difference than 1-2 cars waiting for 2 chargers.

That's not to say there are some Tesla SC locations that get very congested, but there's so many, you can easily just head out to another nearby one where you won't wait, or wait just a few min to get into a spot.