Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming noise behind frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car sits in the garage and there is a fan running overnight. I have disconnected all phones and turned off the cabin overheat protection. Whatever is running is draining the battery about 5% overnight. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Do you have sentry mode turned on? If so, turn it off at home. If you have sentry mode on, the car stays awake and it'll do what it does and make noises. It's fine. But turn off sentry.
I had a strange one last week, never happened before. May be related to the FSD-S updates?

My Sentry Mode has been disabled when parked in my garage since bringing it home in May 2023. It’s always worked as advertised.

I was out of town for three days, the Tesla at home in my garage. I looked at TeslaFi and noticed my MY wasn’t sleeping. When I got home Friday I looked at the menu and Sentry was set up correctly, doors closed, nothing that should prevent the car from sleeping. Two hours later it was still awake and the Sentry screen activating when I was in the garage.

Just like a computer (because that’s what it is) I turned off disable sentry mode at home, then reenabled it. Did the same with Sentry Mode itself. 15 minutes later my MY went to sleep. Been working fine last 44 hours.

@Jmauld - That’s something worth trying.

This is why I always leave my little parasite plugged in at home. 🤬
Mine is parked in the direct AZ sun and needs to use the cabin
temp control to stay under 100°F.

I get the humming noise and the coolant fan noise. It's a combination
of conditioning the HVB, the cabin temp control, and charging when below 80%

Last edited:
Sentry mode is off. But I will try toggling it on and off to be sure.

I’ve also noticed that pressing the button on the charger will not open the charge port. I have to open it directly on the screen or the app.

Not sure if these two are related.

Ohh. Another piece of information. This happened when I first got the car and before I could connect my phone to it.

Once I connnected the phone it stopped doing this.

Another thing is that I took it to have tint installed the day before this started.. They mentioned that they had to trick the car into thinking the doors were open. Not sure how they did this. I’ve checked on the app and the app things the doors are closed.

Nope! I leave my phone connected too. When I don't want it connected at night, I stick it in the microwave.
The car is running it's conditioning and using power and that's why I leave it plugged in @ 80%.
So last night, at least one phone card stayed connected to the car. This morning, I had drained minimum power, it dropped from 81 to 80%, but the hum is still humming so I have to assume that the car never goes to sleep.

I had a strange one last week, never happened before. May be related to the FSD-S updates?

My Sentry Mode has been disabled when parked in my garage since bringing it home in May 2023. It’s always worked as advertised.

I was out of town for three days, the Tesla at home in my garage. I looked at TeslaFi and noticed my MY wasn’t sleeping. When I got home Friday I looked at the menu and Sentry was set up correctly, doors closed, nothing that should prevent the car from sleeping. Two hours later it was still awake and the Sentry screen activating when I was in the garage.

Just like a computer (because that’s what it is) I turned off disable sentry mode at home, then reenabled it Dora TV. Did the same with Sentry Mode itself. 15 minutes later my MY went to sleep. Been working fine last 44 hours.

@Jmauld - That’s something worth trying.
I've noticed there is a constant humming sound coming from my LRM3. It's fairly quiet but is always there. I mean when it's parked. Anyone know what this it?

Another way is to lift the rear seat cushion and disconnect a harness that shuts down the 12-16v system and opens the battery contactors. It totally hard-resets the car. This is how mobile service does most of their jobs. Just make sure you don't shut the door when it's disconnected - should be good after a few seconds to plug it back in.

• Informative
Reactions: DrDiesel1
Another way is to lift the rear seat cushion and disconnect a harness that shuts down the 12-16v system and opens the battery contactors. It totally hard-resets the car. This is how mobile service does most of their jobs. Just make sure you don't shut the door when it's disconnected - should be good after a few seconds to plug it back in.
Where is this in a y with a third row?

I've rebooted using the steering wheel controls. Press and hold both buttons. Is there a better reboot method?
That only reboots the touchscreen.

To powercycle the vehicle:

1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: DrDiesel1